Bruins Three First Round Picks Fail Conditioning Test

hf101

bruins062615_672.jpg

Remember those 3 rookies the Bruins drafted in the first round of the 2015 draft?  

They traded away Lucic to the Kings and Dougie Hamilton to the Flames to have 3 first round picks #13, #14, #15 - thus they drafted Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk, and Zachary Senyshyn.  

The Bruins welcomed their Rookies in for physicals as they prepare for the prospect tournament in Buffalo, and all 3 first round picks failed at least one conditioning test.   The part they failed consisted of three 300-meter runs, each of which had to be completed in one minute, while they had a three-minute rest in between each run.

Sweeney said they will be putting in some supplemental work during camp.   lol

Sweeney's picks were off the board according to many -- I'll bet today's results raised his BP a bit.  

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/09/10/all-three-bruins-first-round-picks-fail-conditioning-test/JGQPDOqdxvIggUk7RAIS9L/story.html

These were simply goofy picks.

They really were. I've heard a few rumblings about a few of the 3 actually having a bit of promise, but you'll never convince me they would not have been there later. Just bad asset management from the word go. You go into a draft looking to stockpile quality, not drafting guys in the 1st that would have gone in the 3rd..they could have snagged 2 of the 3 in the 2nd round....so off the charts incompetence here from my view.

They really were. I've heard a few rumblings about a few of the 3 actually having a bit of promise, but you'll never convince me they would not have been there later. Just bad asset management from the word go. You go into a draft looking to stockpile quality, not drafting guys in the 1st that would have gone in the 3rd..they could have snagged 2 of the 3 in the 2nd round....so off the charts incompetence here from my view.

That's the thing. They would have been there later. So let's pretend for a moment that Sweeney actually did get good players that will be the hidden gems of the draft.

He could have gotten them in the second and third round and have gotten three first rounders in addition.

So Sweeney put himself in a no win here. If none pan out, he'll be run out of town. If any or all pan out, he could have gotten them later and even more players could have planned out.

Goofy.

Boneheaded is the word that comes to my mind...

We all seemed to feel that this was a terrible decision on draft night. Now, it looks ever worse. Boston seemed headed for a rebuild before this. Now, they appear to be missing some pieces. This is the kind of management that keeps a team in the doldrums for years on end.

@ScottM  So, in a few short months, Chicrelli's replacement has totally wasted 3 high draft picks AND traded away Dougie Hamilton for a mid round first pick, used to procure a middling, out of shape underachieving forward. To a lesser extent, also traded away some of their size when moving Lucic. Already, 5 pretty stupid moves....the worst being moving their future Captain and probably would have been their very best d-man for this coming year....brutal.

bruins062615_672.jpg

Remember those 3 rookies the Bruins drafted in the first round of the 2015 draft?  

They traded away Lucic to the Kings and Dougie Hamilton to the Flames to have 3 first round picks #13, #14, #15 - thus they drafted Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk, and Zachary Senyshyn.  

The Bruins welcomed their Rookies in for physicals as they prepare for the prospect tournament in Buffalo, and all 3 first round picks failed at least one conditioning test.   The part they failed consisted of three 300-meter runs, each of which had to be completed in one minute, while they had a three-minute rest in between each run.

Sweeney said they will be putting in some supplemental work during camp.   lol

Sweeney's picks were off the board according to many -- I'll bet today's results raised his BP a bit.  

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/09/10/all-three-bruins-first-round-picks-fail-conditioning-test/JGQPDOqdxvIggUk7RAIS9L/story.html

I'm curious! Do most of the drafted rookies fail this test?  It is really difficult to put these results in to some sort of perspective. If it is a common result, expected of rookies, then it's no big deal. If it is an uncommon result, then Boston management  has egg on their face.

I'm curious! Do most of the drafted rookies fail this test?  It is really difficult to put these results in to some sort of perspective. If it is a common result, expected of rookies, then it's no big deal. If it is an uncommon result, then Boston management  has egg on their face.

Fair point. I wonder how they did at the Combine? If they sucked at the Combine though, maybe the Broons should have picked others. Like those ranked above them and who performed better at the Combine. 

Didn't Sam Bennett have an embarrassing combine? At 19 he already looks like an NHLer.

I don't think that's right. Was he not coming off injury (shoulder?) and attended but didn't do the tests (or all of them). In any event, you're right he's amazing. Love what I've seen from his game. He's like, he's like, he's like a more assertive Eberle to me?

Anyway, performance at the Combine is not everything. I would be curious if all 3 of these Bruin picks were though.  

I don't think that's right. Was he not coming off injury (shoulder?) and attended but didn't do the tests (or all of them). In any event, you're right he's amazing. Love what I've seen from his game. He's like, he's like, he's like a more assertive Eberle to me?

Anyway, performance at the Combine is not everything. I would be curious if all 3 of these Bruin picks were though.

I don't remember anything about a shoulder injury. They just gave him a lot of hell becuase he couldn't do one single pullup...like Pyle from Full Metal jacket...i guess the corp don't get theirs!!!! ;)

I don't remember anything about a shoulder injury. They just gave him a lot of hell becuase he couldn't do one single pullup...like Pyle from Full Metal jacket...i guess the corp don't get theirs!!!! ;)

Lol. Well, I looked and he had shoulder surgery in October 2014, 3 months after the infamous failed pull up. So he clearly had a shoulder problem prior to the combine.

Archived