9/28 Versus Rangers

Howie58

Greetings:

Granted, it was still preseason but we're close to the final roster.  Her is my take:

1)  Mason seems to thrive on seeing rubber.

2) Gudas looked like he is willing to hit folks.

3)  The offense looked challenged.

4)  The O and B looked like they were in loss avoidance mode rather than playing to win.

I am glad a good D is developing but we just don't look like a team with talented forwards.

Best,

Howie

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2) Gudas looked like he is willing to hit folks.

I don't think him and Mcdud make a good pair....but who does look good with Mcdud. I like what i've seen from Gudas.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gudas play with MDV a good offensive threat with a good physical stay at home Dman.

I just don't know what you do with all the other assorted parts on the blueline....who is your #1 D pair??? Streit/Schultz??? Not encouraging.

Another new coach, another slow start to the game. Dominated in both play and SOG. This has been their MO for years. Why can't they be ready when the puck drops?  Sounds familiar

Blowing a two goal lead in the 3rd period. Sounds familiar

Mason played his ass off and gets nothing to show for it. Sounds familiar

Mason was great. I thought Laughton was excellent too, except for the obvious screw up in OT. Rookie mistake. But he was aggressive on the PK, and ES forecheck. He made his own chances and set up his linemates for chances too.

For my money, he makes the roster over VLC every day of the week.

I mean, did anyone even notice *anything* VLC did last night except get tripped once?

I agree with others too - Streit/Schultz do not look very good.

Another new coach, another slow start to the game. Dominated in both play and SOG. This has been their MO for years. Why can't they be ready when the puck drops?  Sounds familiar

Blowing a two goal lead in the 3rd period. Sounds familiar

Mason played his ass off and gets nothing to show for it. Sounds familiar

Umm... same players as all signs of youth and exuberance are in Allentown and beyond.

who is your #1 D pair???

Medvedev and Del Zotto

Umm... same players as all signs of youth and exuberance are in Allentown and beyond.

@hf101- Agreed. I am just hoping that Hakstol/Keenan 2.0 implementing an actual system for the players to follow will help move the current roster in a better direction.

As a life long flyers fan, I miss the days when the flyers would actually come out of the gate flying and dominate their opponent the first 10 minutes of every game. The last few years, they seem to sleep walk through the first period (even at home).

@hf101- Agreed. I am just hoping that Hakstol/Keenan 2.0 implementing an actual system for the players to follow will help move the current roster in a better direction.

I'll just put this here...

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-gearing-opener-during-last-3-preseason-games

"Most of the players believe there is very little difference between Hakstol’s systems and former coach Craig Berube"

Mason was excellent and it is time for Laughton to stay with the big boys.   That kid has a motor and just never gives up on a play.   

As for the defense McDud is terrible - period.   He is so soft and backs into the zone like a scared Bantam player.  I think Gudas gets himself way out of position.   He brings an element of toughness but mostly at the risk of looking for a big hit.   Simmonds looked to be in mid-season form and I thought Read played a nice game as well.  He certainly has his speed back which should help in the secondary scoring department.   

VLC - ugh, we have already said everything about his play.  RJ looked to be skating better so I will take that as a positive.

If only we could find a way to move a few of these anchors around our neck...

Last, I like what Raff bring on the PP1

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-gearing-opener-during-last-3-preseason-games

"Most of the players believe there is very little difference between Hakstol’s systems and former coach Craig Berube"

I read this too - God help us all...

Thanks for posting, I had know idea. .500 Season here we come!

Says Tim Pinnochio. What he meant was he doesn't know the difference.

At what point do the slow starts reflect more on the players than on the coach?

At what point does the "no doubt"™ captain actually show up and say "no more of this"?

I do not for a second believe the coaching staff is saying "OK, boys, go out there and play uninspired for the first ten minutes because you have the talent to get back into it"

Other thoughts:

I noticed Umburglar in a positive way - which was suprising and good to see

I didn't notice VLC at all. "Strong summer workouts" or no "strong summer workouts" - like @brelic I'd rather have Laughton 11 times out of 5. Therefore, we will see Laughton in Allentown and VLC in the press box.

Can't give up that lead in the third on the road in the regular season and expect to make the playoffs.

In fact, no one on this team should be expecting to make the playoffs.

NO. ONE.

At what point do the slow starts reflect more on the players than on the coach?

great point rad... the problem here is this goes back to Stevens for heavens sake.  How many players have come and go since then? Right now this issue is a total anomaly to me.   It has been a problem for a long time yet no matter who is behind/on the bench it is the same thing.   

And if anyone of these guys thinks they are guaranteed a playoff spot they should be jettisoned immediately. 

There's a reason why we looked bad last night....for one, The Rags are one of the best teams in the league. Also, we are one of the worst.

I thought they looked pretty good in the second period (which is what I watched most of).

The problem is that if they experience any small smattering of success they start coasting believing that they have turned the corner.

This team has a long road in front of it and there aren't any corners to be turned. Pedal to the metal, all the time, is the only way this team will succeed long term.

I don't know if it's because we were playing an A squad or because we chose to have Schenn and Gudas in the lineup instead of Del Zotto and Medvedev, but we looked just like last year. Slow and disorganized in our own zone and in breakouts. 

It's probably a bit of both. Gudas was -2 with 2 giveaways, and Schenn also had 2 giveaways. There's probably never a reason to have both those guys in the lineup at the same time.

I'm really starting to think that even with Ghost's incomplete defensive game, he's as good or better than Schenn in that department. 

I also thought Manning had a good game. 

I also thought Manning had a good game. 

Gudas has not impressed me one bit honestly.  He can hit but I have not see much else from his game.  Honestly, Luke Schenn makes him look pretty good as far as positioning goes and Manning certainly has looked better than Gudas.

Gudas has not impressed me one bit honestly.  He can hit but I have not see much else from his game.  Honestly, Luke Schenn makes him look pretty good as far as positioning goes and Manning certainly has looked better than Gudas.

I think this team would be better if they replaced Gudas, Schenn, and MacDud with Del Zotto, Medvedev, and Ghost on a nightly basis. 

That will happen over time, I'm sure. I just can't imagine Hextall watching the blueline last night and being happy with those anchors.

Streit/Schultz

Del Zotto/Medvedev

Ghost/Manning

Scratch MacDud for 5 years.

I think this team would be better if they replaced Gudas, Schenn, and MacDud with Del Zotto, Medvedev, and Ghost on a nightly basis. 

That will happen over time, I'm sure. I just can't imagine Hextall watching the blueline last night and being happy with those anchors.

Streit/Schultz

Del Zotto/Medvedev

Ghost/Manning

I am 100% okay with this... 

MacDud is Homers last parting shot that will kill us for the next 5 years.   I really dont see a spot for Gudas other than serving popcorn on a nightly basis.

B-b-but he blocks shots! And runs the Islanders' power play! And made the team look marginally better for 19 games! And... Er... Um....

Yeah, I got nothing.

Oh, wait - they gave up two draft picks and a player to get him. So they've got that going for them.

This contract offer never made sense. Never. Not in a billion years.

And, no, I will never get tired of saying so.

Archived