The "Crow or Gripe About Your Fantasy Team" Thread: 2015-16 Edition

TropicalFruitGirl26

Plus it is a non keeper league, we redraft every year so you can only keep potential on a short leash before you move them out for a guy who puts up decent numbers.

yup and that is the key for non-keeper leagues.....

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@J0e Th0rnton

I feel your pain. a decade ago the Wings traded for a few mediocre years of Robert Lang in exchange for Fleischmann and the pick that became Mike Green. Now of course we have Green but he looks out of sorts and is now injured. I always got sick seeing him in a Capital uniform wondering how many cups the wings with him in his prime beside Lidstrom the Wings would have won.....

yup and that is the key for non-keeper leagues.....

I see a TON of the teams in non keeper leagues that load up on kids and I kind of shake my head. I may give one or two kids a try in those leagues and usually after a hot week or two I ship them for a steady boring veteran who you know year in and year out what you are going to get. Much more often than not the kid ends up slipping, not always but a vast majority of time. so in a non keeper league give me the boring 55 point 700 faceoff guy year in year out over a kid with potential, even a Dylan Larkin type on my beloved Wingsany day of the week.

@J0e Th0rnton

If you look at my roster in any league I load up on dual eligibility players to allow for flexibility. The trade i made with you, yes I dealt Burns but Carter and Kesler both qualify at Center and Wing which is my bread and butter. In real life, those two along with guys like Little in Winnipeg and O'Reilly in buffalo are good players but in yahoo leagues they are worth their weight in gold. I agree guys like Strome who only qualify at one position take a hit. You seldom see them on my team. I do have Strome on my team in the Philly.com league but only because of a very deep roster and I have enough other players to pick up the slack in the hopes that he starts scoring. I am watching him closely tho and there are one or two guys I am looking at to replace him if he does not get it going soon. we have hits and blocked shots in that league as well and a d-man who does well in both of those cats could be worth more than the potential of Strome. Plus it is a non keeper league, we redraft every year so you can only keep potential on a short leash before you move them out for a guy who puts up decent numbers.

Yahoo is great about Dual Eligibility. ESPN kinda sucks lol.

But overall, Yeah I drafted Kesler and Kept Carter for those reasons. But since my goal is to trade until I get 5 great keepers for next year, acquiring Burns works for me. I was surprised you did not want Steen. Dual Eligibility matters less in NAHANA by the looks of it. Since we have those F, F, Util positions, it makes it pretty easy.

Overall with McDavid, Burns, Rinne, and maybe Voracek , Josi or Steen, I am looking good next year. But I could turn this year around.

Heck, I was not expecting McDavid to be my top scorer already, but he is. Figured it would take a year or two. but that kid is going to be devastating moving forward.

I see a TON of the teams in non keeper leagues that load up on kids and I kind of shake my head. I may give one or two kids a try in those leagues and usually after a hot week or two I ship them for a steady boring veteran who you know year in and year out what you are going to get. Much more often than not the kid ends up slipping, not always but a vast majority of time. so in a non keeper league give me the boring 55 point 700 faceoff guy year in year out over a kid with potential, even a Dylan Larkin type on my beloved Wingsany day of the week.

In non-Keeper leagues, I tend to have a couple of Shotgun revolving door players. Normally, if you drop one, you look to pick up a guy with 4 games the week you pick him up(Unless the guys becomes invaluable). Rince, wash, repeat.

Girardi played 4 games this week, and I dropped him since he only plays 1 next week for Petry, who plays 4, etc

My main questions on my roster at the moment are Gaborik and Kucherov. Luckily, my scoring hasn't relied on either of them, but I am reluctant to give up on either because of the possibility they do turn their games around.

I'm pretty much never going to win the FW category, but am pretty strong in every other offensive stat. Rux got two goals on the last day to tie up Gs and just edged me in PIM.

As long as Markov keeps up his point-per-game pace I should be fine. :thumbsu:

The real question is goaltending (Mason/Anderson).

@J0e Th0rnton

I mentioned Backstrom in passing earlier, IMHO he is by far hands down the most underrated fantasy player alive. the only drawback that I see is only qualifying at one position but that is only because he plays the position like he invented it.

Top ten in scoring every year or better.

Top 5 in PPP every year, year in year out or better.

1000ish faceoffs.

The knock on Backstrom is and always has been that his stats are inflated by playing with Ovechkin, but so what? Froma fantasy standpoint he is a god, a top ten player and I have him in all three of my leagues, i kept him in Nahana, got him in the second round in Philly.com and unbelievably in the third round in ESPN. He somehow slips through the cracks every year, no reason for him to never go top ten. Among the league leaders in scoring, PPP and Faceoffs every season with a few PIMs to boot. Simply put he is my favorite fantasy player. @radoran would love to have him to go with Ovie but like you want overpayment for rinne I feel the same for Backstrom.

Backstrom is currently centering the 2nd line in Washington and doing a bang up job. I have him in my work pool lol. Sadly, that pool counts SOG instead of FOW, so his value is a bit lower, but he is still killing it for me.

In ESPN, I would have had him high on my list except my strategy was far different for that draft(Most people thought I was crazy in chat except JR lol). And so far it seems to be working except for the silly first half week where scoring is always 2 points per game at the start of the season:)

its kind of insane, but Kesler, despite only having 1 assist this season, has still scored 3.7 points per game for me. When he starts scoring a bit, look out.

The real payday is my wingers since all 4 of them are really centers taking faceoffs.

@yave1964

To put it into perspective.

Pacioretti, Gallagher, Simmonds and Nyquist have combined for 16 goals, 15 assists and +18, and have earned you 151.9 points so far.

Hertl, Galchenyuk, Zibanejad and Carter have combined for 8 goals, 17 assists and -1 and have earned me 159.9 points. FACEOFFS BABY!

the best part is, faceoffs usually remain consistent even during scoring droughts, so they will always be bringing in points as the league scoring drops more and more.

If ESPN ever gets off their butt and gives Pavelski winger status(He has not played C in 3 years except for 5 games), ill be happy as a clam. Then I can rotate out guys only playing 1-2 games that week and rotate in another Center like Bjugstad, Fisher or Henrique

Backstrom is currently centering the 2nd line in Washington and doing a bang up job.

As long as he stays a 2nd line center I'm happy as I have Kuznetsov on both my Yahoo leagues. :cool[1]:

As long as he stays a 2nd line center I'm happy as I have Kuznetsov on both my Yahoo leagues. :cool[1]:

2nd line center but first team PP but if you are unhappy with Kuznetsov, umm, I will be happy to take him off your hands.

My crow for this first match up against a new opponent:

Although I didn't score  a ton of points, it was still enough for me to win the day.

Get the W, whether by 20 points or a slim half point...just get the win!  ;)

Now...only six more grinding days of that...hehe.

My GRIPE is, I have a tough, unusual match up this week.

My opponent and I seem to share players on the same teams...so when I win or lose points, so does he.

VERY hard to gameplan when we were setting lineups before our match up started!!

Oh well.....guess my FHL team will have to rely on intangibles to make the difference in a W or an L....things like:

Media Friendliness

On time to practice

Good locker room voice

Players with good pep talks

Yep...THOSE will be my keys to victory against my doppelganger opponent this week  :D

OK...I came here to gripe....WTF is going on with Tyler Johnson...the talent is undeniable, but 5 pts and no goals for all of October???  My other keeper Ryan Johansen is in the dog house and injured (came back tonight) and I will not panic and trade either one....among the glorious offers for Ryan...a quick start to the year by Henrique has made him Ryan's equal I guess...lol, and the goal less Vorachek....who may never score again btw, has been offered for Ryan....no way, no how. I stay the course.

Yikes! That stinks!

Down to the wire Polaris!

You lead 137.2 to my 128.9. You have Pavelec today who played well last night, but since it is the 2nd game of a back to back, beat writers think Hutchinson is starting.

My players in and their average PPG so far:

Pavelski 6.0

Kesler 3.6

Galchenyuk 3.5

Hertl 3.9

Boychuk 3.9

Hamonic 2.6

Petry 3.0

Fisher 4.2

I am still cheering at the idea that Kesler has 2 assists in 10 games and is -6, yet rakes in 3.6 points per game in this fantasy format. Friggen ducks........

Down to the wire Polaris!

You lead 137.2 to my 128.9. You have Pavelec today who played well last night, but since it is the 2nd game of a back to back, beat writers think Hutchinson is starting.

My players in and their average PPG so far:

Pavelski 6.0

Kesler 3.6

Galchenyuk 3.5

Hertl 3.9

Boychuk 3.9

Hamonic 2.6

Petry 3.0

Fisher 4.2

I am still cheering at the idea that Kesler has 2 assists in 10 games and is -6, yet rakes in 3.6 points per game in this fantasy format. Friggen ducks........

You'll take it in peripheral stats alone. No skaters at all today seriously hampers my chances. Abandon all hope ye who enter here... Damn schedule!

@jammer2@ruxpin

I am not crazy for offering Henrique for Johanssen.

I was just hoping Jammer would be crazy enough to accept it, lol.

No, seriously, say what you want Henrique is going to score 60ish points with nearly 1000 faceoffs, he really does seem to have come into his own this year to start the year. Johanesen? No, Hell no, not enough talent around him but he is going to be a damn fine player. And I am not going to give him away. IMHO he has value and will have a nice season and get better as the year goes on. Not blowing smoke either.

@jammer2@ruxpin

No, seriously, say what you want Henrique is going to score 60ish points with nearly 1000 faceoffs, he really does seem to have come into his own this year to start the year. Johanesen? No, Hell no, not enough talent around him but he is going to be a damn fine player. And I am not going to give him away. IMHO he has value and will have a nice season and get better as the year goes on. Not blowing smoke either.

LOL! Metadeke, get off Yave's computer!

@jammer2@ruxpin

@jammer2@ruxpin

I figured this would be the year that Henrique broke out. I do think he came out of the box nicely, but Ryan will catch him and surpass him in pts. Thing is, Ryan had 841 face off wins last year and his RW eligibility. Adam has improved in the face off circle and has LW elegibility, but he's never passed 500 face off wins before. One guy has done it, one might do it. Ryan also has more talent around him than Adam does in NJ. I was gonna take Adam, but gambled on Pasternak at the end and Ehlers in the second last round....then I missed my chance to pick up Adam once he got hot.....and even though I had to cut Pasternak, Ehlers was more than worth the gamble.

I figured this would be the year that Henrique broke out. I do think he came out of the box nicely, but Ryan will catch him and surpass him in pts. Thing is, Ryan had 841 face off wins last year and his RW eligibility. Adam has improved in the face off circle and has LW elegibility, but he's never passed 500 face off wins before. One guy has done it, one might do it. Ryan also has more talent around him than Adam does in NJ. I was gonna take Adam, but gambled on Pasternak at the end and Ehlers in the second last round....then I missed my chance to pick up Adam once he got hot.....and even though I had to cut Pasternak, Ehlers was more than worth the gamble.

Henrique tends to come out strong and then go cold. Streaky. Kinda like Plekanec.

I dropped Henrique in both leagues after 3 games of not even looking like he cared.

Picked up Kadri in the ESPN league. SOG count for 0.3 and he has over 40 in 10 games, as well as almost 100 faceoff wins. That and the leafs play 4 times this week. Eventually, some of these shots on goal are going to go in and I feel lucky this week. This move is only possible because Pavelski has RW eligibility now. Can bench Zibanejad for a bit till he heats up again. Strangely, picked up Lucic as well. No faceoffs from the guy, but he has picked up in the hitting department and has a nice point streak(And plays 4 times this week)

Having to choose to bench Galchenyuk or Hertl at LW for him is tough. But Hertl is better in the faceoff circle and Wardo is on fire, so I expect Hertl will come out better this week.

With Barkov out, Bjugstad is taking more draws, so I am happy with my utility spot :)

Archived