Obligatory Question: Is Neuvirth our #1?

Mad Dog

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David Strehle ‏@DStrehleTFP 6h6 hours ago

#Flyers goalie Michal Neuvirth not among NHL's Stars of Week despite going 2-0-0, with a 0.00 GAA & 1.000 save % for the week.

Seems on par with Philly hate. Even literal perfection isn't enough.

Seems on par with Philly hate. Even literal perfection isn't enough.

Jeebus, what in the holy hell does one have to do to get a weekly star designation??  It is literally absurd that back to back shutouts is not recognized!! If you factor in the fact that one of the shutouts came against the same team that obliterated the Flyers 7-1 in the second game of the season, it makes the back to back O's all the more impressive. 

You are 100% correct, *not* starting Virth sends the wrong message. I mean, what if you are messing with history by pulling him, maybe he has a shot at Boucher's  (LOL, feels funny even typing that mess) all time consecutive shut out record??  2 shut outs is less than half way there, but he DESERVES to be in there until somebody scores....period. He has earned that right.

Who’s in goal?

Conventional wisdom suggests that after a five-day layoff, Steve Mason may have gotten the starter’s net back from the hot hand in Michal Neuvirth, who may have cooled off during the down time.

Hakstol wouldn’t confirm who would be between the pipes, but Mason said he wouldn’t be surprised if Neuvirth got to continue his shutout streak of 132:05 and counting.

“Michal deserves to play,” said Mason, who was away from the team for most of last week dealing with a family medical issue. “He played two real solid games and he did his job. If he were to play (Tuesday) it wouldn’t change anything for me. I just have to keep working hard for whatever that game is.”

Conventional wisdom also suggests that the goalies would split Tuesday against Dallas and Wednesday in Boston considering it’s a back-to-back scenario, but Hakstol wasn’t forthcoming on that either.

“I’m not sure how these games are going to shake out,” Mason said, “but those are situations you don’t even focus on. You take what you’re given and you work as hard as you can to play well in those games. If it was a back-to-back or every other day and that changed the schedule a little bit, I’m not sure. You just work to prepare for every game that you play.”

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2015/10/19/sam-gagner-sticks-lineup-rj-umberger-healthy/74222106/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Noy-ver deserves to play and defend his shutout streak.

IMO neivy deserves to play. He has both Flyers win and played perfectly. Wish Fleury would play like that!

Goalies can continue scoreless streaks even if they don't play consecutive games. Bryzgalov's Flyer record was done that way (He had two shutouts, Bobrovsky lost the back end of a B2B and then Bryzgalov posted another shutout and didn't give up a goal until the third period of the next game).

I definitely go with Neuvirth tonight and I would play Mason tomorrow without even thinking about it even if Neuvirth shuts out Dallas.

Neuvirth leaves tonight's game after starting the game with an upper body injury. It looks like at least for the time being it is going to be Mason all the way. While watching tonight's game of the Flyers and Bruins I have seen Mason make some spectacular saves and also miss some shots that should have been saves. I hope Neuvirth is not hurt badly where he will miss a lot of time. The Flyers definitely don't need the injury bug to hit them.

I'm hoping that was a mistake and you meant to put isn't......right?

It seems like it, the follow up sentence seems to suggest a minor typo that changes the sentence in a major way.

Then again, capitals fan.

It was a mistake I forgot a crucial word in the sentence and I fixed it. I never want any player even if they are on the Pittsburgh Penguins to go out with a big injury.

I figured you did. I usually never proof read my post before hitting send...thank God for the edit button....

@Unleashed Fury

FYI - I knew it was a typo, I was just having some fun. I figure you probably knew that I knew that. A known known, as it were. 

You are a great addition to this forum. You're clearly a fan and student of the game and play the game. You must be a forward eh? Center?

@Unleashed Fury

FYI - I knew it was a typo, I was just having some fun. I figure you probably knew that I knew that. A known known, as it were.

You are a great addition to this forum. You're clearly a fan and student of the game and play the game. You must be a forward eh? Center?

Probably a long snapper

Archived