Obligatory Question: Is Neuvirth our #1?

Mad Dog

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flyers Goalie Controversy Of 2015-2016.  The year would not be complete without one.  

Mason is your #1 from now until he loses the job.  

Neuverth is a solid backup (with a hot hand).

Something the flyers haven't had in years:  Two goalies that can steal a game.

It's a warm, cozy feeling of goodness.  

I have to say Mason is the true starter until he completely craps the bed (if that happens). What ever is bothering him in life that has him out of the line up does not need to be amplified with a bonafide goalie controversy. I hope the media does not create unnecessary turmoil. 

But I have to agree with @Digityman, it is refreshing to have two very capable goalies. 

agree with above....Mason is our #1 goalie.  However, you have the ride the hot hand for now.  Give Neuverth one more start.

Again agree with @Digityman.... it nice to have a solid back-up who can come in a pinch and steal a game or two for ya.

What a refreshing idea for a change. :)

I remember seeing Neuvirth dominate in the AHL when he was in Hershey...man among boys stuff.

So i am not surprised by his play, i thought he had #1 ability and have been surprised he hasn't put it together in the NHL, yet

I don't think Mason should lose his job as the starter, until his play warrants it, which i hope does not happen.  If that does happen though i think the Flyers are in good shape with MN.

Back-to-back after the break.

I'd go with Neuvirth against Dallas and then Mason at Boston and vs. the Rangers at home.

I could see this getting split more 50/30 than 60/20, though.

I'd go Neuvirth vs. Dallas, Mason at Boston and then Neuvirth vs. the Rangers.  I just have a gut feeling we'd have a better shot versus New York with him.

I'd go Neuvirth vs. Dallas, Mason at Boston and then Neuvirth vs. the Rangers.  I just have a gut feeling we'd have a better shot versus New York with him.

A lot has to do with how Mason looks in his return, obviously, but I do concur with folks that he is the #1 and should go against the division rival.

That said, if Neuvirth shuts out Dallas...

No doubt Nueverth is hot right now.  

Right now is the key part of that sentence.

There's a reason the Caps let him go.  

He was hot for a while there and then...   

That said, why not play him until he implodes?  He was spectacular last night against Chicago. 

So i am not surprised by his play, i thought he had #1 ability and have been surprised he hasn't put it together in the NHL, yet

I thought he was good when he was with the Caps. But they were stacked with good young goalies (Varlamov, Holtby) and you can't blame them for going with Holtby. In Buffalo I think he was a victim of the "McEichel insurance plan."

Mason has been the best goalie we've had since....early Hextall? He has one bad game due to some personal problem and , well, do we really need to ask who the #1 is?

Glad Neuvrith is playing well. But there's a shortage of true #1 goalies in the NHL, and if he was one, he wouldn't be backing up mason.

Kudos to Hexy. I knew Neuvy from my fantasy team last year when I noticed that he had good numbers on a horrid team. He took a lot of rubber and almost always gave a solid effort. I was very happy when he was picked for our backup and I think he's showing why Hexy chose him. He's a great backup. 

He may also have some starter in him too, but he was brought here for backup and that's where he should play. Having said that, you always ride the hot hand in net. Keep him in until he has a bit of a letdown... which.. he will. 

That said, if Neuvirth shuts out Dallas...

You read my mind....not that its hard to do you must have a powerful microscope! ;)

However it would be a good problem to have once again you may have to keep the hot hand in.

He was spectacular last night against Chicago.

He was lucky on a couple of bounces too. The guy has played out of this world but when was the last time you saw every bounce at the goal go IN the flyers favor? MN deserves a chance to keep his shutout streak going as long as he can but Mason is still the number 1 goalie. I don't mind Mason having some time to get his head right before he returns though.........

Mason has earned the right to be the #1 and Neuvirth has earned the right to keep playing. Based on the way he is playing now, Mason shouldn't feel rushed to return to the team, which I am sure he would have thought about doing if the Flyers had Garbage for a back-up. Give Neuvirth the next start and go from there, just let Mase know the net is waiting for him when he is ready.

Mason has been the best goalie we've had since....early Hextall? He has one bad game due to some personal problem and , well, do we really need to ask who the #1 is?

Glad Neuvrith is playing well. But there's a shortage of true #1 goalies in the NHL, and if he was one, he wouldn't be backing up mason.

I guess the question (on my part) was more in line with true Philadelphia traditions.  :ph34r:

I am sure it's well understood - inside the organization at least - that Mason is the #1.

I guess the question (on my part) was more in line with true Philadelphia traditions.  :ph34r: I wouldn't expect us to be any different!

I am sure it's well understood - inside the organization at least - that Mason is the #1. I would think so.

Archived