Simmonds

J0e Th0rnton

Question Flyer fans. Is he in a slump with the rest of the team, or is there something deeper? His sog seem down.

Someone just put him on the trade block in my Work league and I am contemplating making an offer.

I have Backstrom/Turris/Krejci all as natural C's and it sucks because they tend to play on the same night EVERY WEEK. and with only 2 C spots, I always have one on the bench doing NOTHING. I looked ahead, and it gets a bit better till mid november, when all 4 days of the week, they play on the same nights.

The Flyers are terribly over-reliant on their power play to produce goals.

And their power play has been terrible.

Still kicking myself for being a fan and not an owner and dillying around on the Simmonds-for-Backes trade.

Simple answer this team lacks any offensive flare. He doesn't seem to have the right line mates to suit his playing style. 

Who would be the right linemates? Where is he playing these last few games?

On would think a finisher like him would be with Giroux/Voracek

So why not remove Voracek for Giroux's line and insert Simmonds? V and G are both pass first guys anyways

I wish they would be more creative with the lines as well.

But they seem doggedly committed to Giroux with Voracek.

Question Flyer fans. Is he in a slump with the rest of the team, or is there something deeper?

Honestly who ain't on this team struggling...i thought they may be barely squeaking into a playoff spot but that was a bad miscalculation on my part. It seems FC was right this is very well a possible lottery pick bad team.

If they don't make the playoffs - they're in the lottery

:cool[1]:

Yes i know but i should have said possible the real lotto...or at least to me...the top 3 bad....this has to be hands down the worst blueline in the NHL...if not then who is?

Question Flyer fans. Is he in a slump with the rest of the team, or is there something deeper? His sog seem down.

Someone just put him on the trade block in my Work league and I am contemplating making an offer.

I have Backstrom/Turris/Krejci all as natural C's and it sucks because they tend to play on the same night EVERY WEEK. and with only 2 C spots, I always have one on the bench doing NOTHING. I looked ahead, and it gets a bit better till mid november, when all 4 days of the week, they play on the same nights.

Does your league count hits? You might consider it if so. Definitely not for Backstrom. 

Simmonds should end the year with sightly above average goals, PPP, hits, and PIMs. He would definitely have more hits and pims than any of those three you mentioned. Backstrom should be pretty much untouchable on any team though. :P

Does your league count hits? You might consider it if so. Definitely not for Backstrom. 

Simmonds should end the year with sightly above average goals, PPP, hits, and PIMs. He would definitely have more hits and pims than any of those three you mentioned.

Categories are Goals, Assists, PIM's, PPP, SHP, +/- and SOG

Quite honestly, the only guy I am thinking of moving is Turris. Backstrom is too much of a PP Beast, and Krejci and the bruins have been playing a more offensive style and overloading the top PP. I'd love to keep all of them, but one is constantly on the bench with their schedule's matching too much

Categories are Goals, Assists, PIM's, PPP, SHP, +/- and SOG

Quite honestly, the only guy I am thinking of moving is Turris. Backstrom is too much of a PP Beast, and Krejci and the bruins have been playing a more offensive style and overloading the top PP. I'd love to keep all of them, but one is constantly on the bench with their schedule's matching too much

Yeah, I would definitely say Turris is the weakest of the bunch when it comes to fantasy. That said, Simmonds really hasn't been producing much this year. I certainly hope he'll pick up, but it's a gamble at the moment. I'm not sure what Turris has for numbers so far this year, you may be able to fetch someone more consistent than Simmonds. 

Bottom line is the Flyers PP has not clicked this year yet. It's a bit of a surprise how poor they've been actually. If they don't get the PP moving, Simmonds becomes far less useful in fantasy. He has added value in hits leagues, but you don't count those. It sounds like moving Turris would be useful for you to do, but you may want to shop him around some more.

As others have pointed out, Simmonds doesn't generally play with the VeeGees. He does on occasion when they split the two of them up, but that's about it. He's been asked to play LW on occasion, but it hasn't really worked.

Yes i know but i should have said possible the real lotto...or at least to me...the top 3 bad....this has to be hands down the worst blueline in the NHL...if not then who is?

Well if the Flyers are going to be a lottery team hopefully it's the top 3, we knew as fans that the blueline Holmgren put together was bad and it was going to take Hextall a couple of years to get rid of the **** that Holmgren left behind.

I think he would benefit greatly by playing with line mates where is not expected to produce the points as much as getting in the dirty spots. He reminds me of a younger Scott Hartnell where he can be great at times, but should not be expected to carry the bulk of the line production. I like him with Schenn. He is good but I just cannot think of who on the current Flyers roster would make him great. 

As far as a fantasy move.. it might not be a bad move since you'd be acquiring low. His upside is that he'll pick it up and start to produce as he has in the last few years. PP points aplenty. But, it's hard to say what's going on with him this year. He seems to be having trouble adapting to Hax system.

He's not really playing his usual gritty game, but if your league counts pim's those should rise to if/when he comes out of this funk. He IS in a serious funk right now though. 

He not so much a finisher as an object the puck can bounce off of on the way in.

Howdy:

I like the guy's integrity and work ethic.  But he is the most one-dimensional of the upper-echelon scorers on the team.  He has to have skilled guys open the space up for him to do the duty work.  There is no shame in what he does and till now, he has been a great add as a result of shipping out Richards. But if another team were to offer a prospect and/or high draft pick (or two) I'd take salary relief  and future.  Per comments on other threads, '16-'17 may not be the beginning of the new era.  Current assets are going to age and depreciate. This season may do even more harm. While I would like to wait until Thanksgiving to see if things turn around, I am not holding my breath.  Fantasy or real...I  might take assets.    Hakstol may need to make an imprint on 2-3 cohorts of newbies to make a difference. Better to collect the new and let him do his thing...if he can survive the season!!!

Howie

Howdy:

I like the guy's integrity and work ethic.  But he is the most one-dimensional of the upper-echelon scorers on the team.  He has to have skilled guys open the space up for him to do the duty work.  There is no shame in what he does and till now, he has been a great add as a result of shipping out Richards. But if another team were to offer a prospect and/or high draft pick (or two) I'd take salary relief  and future.  Per comments on other threads, '16-'17 may not be the beginning of the new era.  Current assets are going to age and depreciate. This season may do even more harm. While I would like to wait until Thanksgiving to see if things turn around, I am not holding my breath.  Fantasy or real...I  might take assets.    Hakstol may need to make an imprint on 2-3 cohorts of newbies to make a difference. Better to collect the new and let him do his thing...if he can survive the season!!!

Howie

Good point Howie. And he has a great contract to boot. So yeah find the team let them name their price and i'd listen...i would only go up more i'd think the closer we get to the trade deadline and the further the Flyers sink.

Good point Howie. And he has a great contract to boot. So yeah find the team let them name their price and i'd listen...i would only go up more i'd think the closer we get to the trade deadline and the further the Flyers sink.

Occam:

My brother normally doesn't get as POed about the games as his Florida sibling  but today was an exception.  In the old days the land line would have been fried.   A superb goaltending effort was really squandered.  Without Coots and Med we are in a deep defensive funk.  

A lousy performance in the second half may force a sell-off.  Chairman Ed can't/won't stop this slop. 

Best,

Howie

Occam:

My brother normally doesn't get as POed about the games as his Florida sibling  but today was an exception.  In the old days the land line would have been fried.   A superb goaltending effort was really squandered.  Without Coots and Med we are in a deep defensive funk.  

A lousy performance in the second half may force a sell-off.  Chairman Ed can't/won't stop this slop. 

Best,

Howie

Yes i feel if they don't start winning especially against a club like Calgary who has been bleeding goals i'm afraid coming off the road trip Hexy might get crazy and start the ball rolling on some crazy trades...we'll see tomorrow night i guess.

My longtime board colleague...in a world of change, a constant is having fermented stuff on hand. The question might be how much will be needed to blur the cruddy performance?  I'll respect my liver more than these dudes.

Howie

Archived