Scott Stevens says Gudas is the best hitter in the league

icehole

So basically, Stevens is simply letting others know what everyone who followed him since his AHL days already knew.

Yes, high praise indeed, coming from a guy whose middle name was "Hit"....however, I must say, I am more impressed with the EVOLUTION of Radko Gudas, because he is doing what Scott Stevens used to do, but is doing it in an era where every hit, every body contact is being watched with a high powered magnifying glass.

Gudas went from being an uncontrolled maniac on the ice to controlled aggression, understanding what the league wants and doesn't want, made his adjustments, yet still is not afraid (and unapologetic) about laying the big hit on a player....and he really doesn't care whether it's a 'star' player or a career 4th liner.

Will Gudas live on the edge at times? Probably. Every good hitter will. But for the most part, the guy is just a stout tank-like individual who just knows how to lay a hit in the worst way while staying within the rules.

I really hope Gudas survives the purge of our young defensive prospects who will inevitably come to the Flyers in the next few years. Having an opponents head on a swivel is winning the battle before it begins. Plus, I really think the addition of Morin, who can skate for a big man will still leave room for Gudas. Usually two big hitters make the team slow, but that will not be the case....like it is now with Luke and Radko.

Gudas sits a solid 5th in league hitting stats with 56....he could easily be leading were it not for the lack of ice time and a few games sitting out.

I think that says something about the state of our game. He's a 'good' hitter but who hits these days?? From what I have seen of him he's a an ambusher. He watches for people who aren't expecting a hit. As far as open ice hitting? Nah, there isn't a 'good' one of those in the whole NHL IMHO.

From what I have seen of him he's a an ambusher. He watches for people who aren't expecting a hit

Yeah but that is a majority of NHL hits right?? I mean you just said there isn't one these days...it's mostly because the league is cracking down on that stuff when it's even close to a head shot it seems.

I think that says something about the state of our game. He's a 'good' hitter but who hits these days?? From what I have seen of him he's a an ambusher. He watches for people who aren't expecting a hit. As far as open ice hitting? Nah, there isn't a 'good' one of those in the whole NHL IMHO.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=869981

Now that's a great hit. And if McLeod wasn't expecting to get hit by Gudas there...he's an idiot.

Curious observation.  I think that would apply to Rinaldo but I have not seen that from Gudas IMHO. 

Kronwall

@flyercanuck  Gudas does throw a nice hip check...really, a lost art. I remember McCabe with that illegal can opener hit of his....he was the kinda guy who snuck up on people, Gudas is a real man, he does it face to face and will go anyone who does not like the hit...which is a big part of things, he can throw the hit and back it up....unfortunately, that is a sign of the times, most hard legal hits are followed my huge scrums cause a lot of these players are not real men. Take the number and get him back later like they did back in the day....creating a scrum over a legal hit is for little girls, not men.

Take the number and get him back later like they did back in the day....creating a scrum over a legal hit is for little girls, not men.

I disagree. I love hard legal hits, but it's a sign of dominance and and a lot of the time it's a guy trying to injure your teammate. I have no problem standing up to the guy who made the hit, grabbing him, and saying "you think you're tough...let's see how tough you are". That just shows your teammate that you have his back and you might reclaim the dominance. If you "take the number" which should be done anyway no matter what, usually that leads nowhere and everyone forgets. It also shows your teammate that you really dont care about him and he's just a coworker of yours.

I disagree. I love hard legal hits, but it's a sign of dominance and and a lot of the time it's a guy trying to injure your teammate. I have no problem standing up to the guy who made the hit, grabbing him, and saying "you think you're tough...let's see how tough you are". That just shows your teammate that you have his back and you might reclaim the dominance. If you "take the number" which should be done anyway no matter what, usually that leads nowhere and everyone forgets. It also shows your teammate that you really dont care about him and he's just a coworker of yours.

I disagree. Hitting has always been part of hockey. Only before you didn't have to fight everytime you threw a check. And you shouldn't now. I have zero problem with the hittee going after the hitter. But having someone else jump him is bs IMO. Unless it was dirty.

I disagree. Hitting has always been part of hockey. Only before you didn't have to fight everytime you threw a check. And you shouldn't now. I have zero problem with the hittee going after the hitter. But having someone else jump him is bs IMO. Unless it was dirty.

Im not saying "marty mcsorely" the guy. I look at the niskanen hit on laughton last year. It was a great hit and Laughton may have been somewhat at fault for it. But niskanen was trying to make laughton feel pain with that hit. Simmonds was right there and the whistle blew shortly after the hit. Simmonds didnt even look at Laughton to see if he was ok...he just skated to the bench. Once the whistle blew, I want simmonds to get in niskanen's face, grab his sweater, and say something. Either "I'm coming after you" or "watch your back". That will probably cause a scrum but niskanen will definitely be paranoid about it for the rest of the game.

I loved Gudas's hits the other night. If the flyers were somewhat good they could have used that for motivation. Washington could have been down on themselves for getting beat up physically. Instead, they just beat the flyers with skill.

Also, I like White fighting there. The problem with that is you have to win the fight to feel good about it. Laata didn't look beaten at all...he even looked like he was enjoying it. Once he overtook white, you could tell that the flyers bench was down. They were doing a golf clap with their sticks. Momentum went to the caps.

Well said bro.

@icehole  The scrums after legal hits are wrecking the game. It has to stop. You did not see this type of behavior back in the original six or the 70's or most of the 80's. These guys need to man up and get revenge for their teammate at a later time.....unless it was a dirty hit meant to injure....then by all means, exact your revenge right on the spot. Hockey has a way of presenting karmic justice, it just has to be the right place and time. 

Another point, many times, the guy who starts pushing and shoving in the scrum gets the penalty, which is selfish in many instances, it puts your team down a man and many times all for naught...you didn't even get in a real punch.  

Once the whistle blew, I want simmonds to get in niskanen's face

this is what it turns on, for me.  if the scrum happens after a whistle, then fine, puff out your chest and try to impress people with how well you can grab someone's jersey.  if the scrum is what causes the whistle, though, on a clean hit, that's crap.

@icehole The scrums after legal hits are wrecking the game. It has to stop. You did not see this type of behavior back in the original six or the 70's or most of the 80's. These guys need to man up and get revenge for their teammate at a later time.....unless it was a dirty hit meant to injure....then by all means, exact your revenge right on the spot. Hockey has a way of presenting karmic justice, it just has to be the right place and time.

Another point, many times, the guy who starts pushing and shoving in the scrum gets the penalty, which is selfish in many instances, it puts your team down a man and many times all for naught...you didn't even get in a real punch.

I dont know...I dont have a problem the scrums. I'll make a deal with you. If they take a number and get revenge with a solid hit later, I won't miss the scrums. Here's the problem...they never ever ever get revenge with a clean hit. The game goes on and nothing happens and the flyers lose the game and hang their heads because they got beat up on the scoreboard and in the physical game.

I'd rather them handle things immediately so they dont forget. If they lose on the scoreboard, at least I can say that my team has a little bit of pride and they stick up for their teammates.

Here's the problem...they never ever ever get revenge with a clean hit.

and here's my problem:  they don't need to "get revenge" for a clean ****** hit.  if a dman stands someone up cleanly at the blueline, and the resultant loose puck turns into an offensive chance for that dman's team...but it is all whistled dead because someone's penis to far too small to be ok with getting knocked down while playing hockey (read:  lucic), that's just some pathetic ****.

if the guy wants to pay it back in kind later on, great.  take the number and keep it legal.  the "OHNOHEDIDNT" crap is crap.

Archived