Game #18 - Kings at Flyers - Nov 17 2015 - 7:00 ET (Gagne Retirement Night)

brelic

All that was missing the last 5 minutes was the theme from Benny Hill. Putrid in their own zone.

Yeah Luke and Schultz there on the ice at the same time could you have picked a worse pair for defending the goal mouth with 10 seconds to go in the game!!!

Greetings:

It was painful to see Mason's work squandered but at least the game kept my attention.  Ghost is good. He adds speed and "thrust" to the attack.  But other than G and V, we don't seem to get the job done with scoring. That said, Quick is Quick. But our PP is not that good.  

Howie

Greetings:

It was painful to see Mason's work squandered but at least the game kept my attention.  Ghost is good. He adds speed and "thrust" to the attack.  But other than G and V, we don't seem to get the job done with scoring. That said, Quick is Quick. But our PP is not that good.  

Howie

I feel like by the time January rolls around and Hak and Hexy will know more of what they will be working with and anyone on the roster not named Giroux, Jake or Ghost will be on the block to move out with the hopes of improving this team...there are a lot of parts that could be moved out and this team could look a lot different by the time march rolls around.

Greetings:

Howie

Yes for the first time since the Rangers game that we won in the SO it finally felt like an entertaining experience that was worth the drive rather than some obligation that I had to sit through.

When Streit is ready

When Streit returns

It would not surprise me at all if Streit wasn't returning.

From what @pilldoc posted about "pubic plate detachment" it's a real critical injury for an athlete, especially one that needs to continually push off on both legs (i.e. "skating").

The analysis he posted stated that it can often be career-ending for an athlete. Not sure whether a 37yo is going to "come back" from this quickly - much less six weeks.

Happy to be wrong. Wishing him the best.

I'll take last night's effort all year long.

that was an entertaining game. Schenn helped the top line look like a top line.

If this group can reproduce that effort, i will feel better about the prospects going forward.

The result was just, game could have gone either way.  

Occam and Poulin:

I am reminded of the old Pogoism, "we have met the enemy and it is us."  The "compete level," to use of one Hakstol's cliches, is there. But the raw material for competition may not be. Hopefully the coming year or two brings ammo change.  But short-term, this board nailed something last year--the D isn't the only problem.  Sadly, the parts we traded for on offense may not have much sum.  They are just less. 

Howie

Occam and Poulin:

I am reminded of the old Pogoism, "we have met the enemy and it is us."  The "compete level," to use of one Hakstol's cliches, is there. But the raw material for competition may not be. Hopefully the coming year or two brings ammo change.  But short-term, this board nailed something last year--the D isn't the only problem.  Sadly, the parts we traded for on offense may not have much sum.  They are just less. 

Howie

Howie, I agree with you, but at least last night's game was watchable. It will be considerably easier to follow the Flyers, if they show effort and heart.

From what @pilldoc posted about "pubic plate detachment" it's a real critical injury for an athlete, especially one that needs to continually push off on both legs (i.e. "skating").

The analysis he posted stated that it can often be career-ending for an athlete. Not sure whether a 37yo is going to "come back" from this quickly - much less six weeks.

He doesn't need to get back in six weeks. He just needs to get back by the trade deadline.

He doesn't need to get back in six weeks. He just needs to get back by the trade deadline.

Right, but the point is there is a question of whether he will be back at all and even if he is his trade value would doubtless be affected by the injury and the uncertainty of his recovery process.

If this was Timonen with a deal expiring at the end of the year, that's one thing. But there's another year to go on the contract.

That said, if he's forced to go on LTIR, they could "Pronger" his contract and deal him to a cap floor team next offseason?

Right, but the point is there is a question of whether he will be back at all and even if he is his trade value would doubtless be affected by the injury and the uncertainty of his recovery process.

If this was Timonen with a deal expiring at the end of the year, that's one thing. But there's another year to go on the contract.

That said, if he's forced to go on LTIR, they could "Pronger" his contract and deal him to a cap floor team next offseason?

Especially since he has a 2 million dollar signing bonus on a 4 million dollar salary - 3.25 million of cap vs. salary paid difference if you trade him after July 2. That said, you probably won't get too much in that instance. If he's healthy and productive at the deadline, he's worth something similar to what Coburn garnered.

If he's healthy and productive at the deadline, he's worth something similar to what Coburn garnered.

In the right circumstances, he certainly could be. In "other threads" I was speculating dealing him at the deadline as part of my "Hextall Offseason" mantra.

Now, I just don't know.

Obviously I hope he comes back and is healthy and productive not just as a Flyer fan but also a human being.

But there is a real possibility that this isn't corrected by the surgery - going, again, by what our resident @pilldoc has posted about the nature of the injury.

I was just being a little jokey.  But yeah, if he's not back at all, LTIR is really the only way to go.  That would be a crap way for his career to end.  Dude should have a lot of hockey left in him. 

Wow thanks i missed that well i hope it isn't as serious for him.

The good news is they can get his LTIR money...yet i don't know how much they can use it by not knowing if it is season ending or if he is coming back. The other bad news is that they couldn't get another 1st round pick in the draft to move him.

if he is his trade value would doubtless be affected by the injury and the uncertainty of his recovery process.

Yes this would affect it if he couldn't come back and play several games before someone would try to acquire him therefor hurting his return. Healthy he certainly could fetch a 1st. But if he doesn't show he can play that could drop to a 3rd or 4th or worse....so i guess i would try to keep him and deal him later.

Archived