Game #21 - Canes at Flyers - Nov 23 2015 - 7:00 ET (Brind'Amour HOF Night)

brelic

Meltzer's writeup: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-112315-vs-CAR-Rod-BrindAmour-Flyers-HOF-Night/45/72712

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 1.70 (30th), Hurricanes 2.00 (28th)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.85 (T-22nd), Hurricanes 2.85 (T-22nd)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 23/30, Hurricanes 33/30
Power play efficiency: Flyers 13.3% (30th), Hurricanes 14.5% (27th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 76.4% (25th), Hurricanes 78.6% (21st)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.4 (T-11th), Hurricanes 30.9 (9th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 33.0 (29th), Hurricanes 24.9 (1st)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 50.1% (T-15th), Hurricanes 53.8% (1st)

Projected lineups (based on last game, will be updated after morning skate)

Flyers

10 Brayden Schenn - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
24 Matt Read - 14 Sean Couturier - 17 Wayne Simmonds
12 Michael Raffl - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 76 Chris VandeVelde
58 Taylor Leier - 89 Sam Gagner - 40 Vincent Lecavalier

15 Michael Del Zotto - 3 Radko Gudas
55 Nick Schultz - 22 Luke Schenn 
23 Brandon Manning - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

35 Steve Mason / 30 Michal Neuvirth

Scratches: Evgeny Medvedev (healthy scratch on Saturday), Vincent Lecavalier (healthy scratch on Saturday), R.J. Umberger (suspected foot injury), Mark Streit (LTIR, displaced pubic plate), Ryan White (IR, suspected shoulder injury), Scott Laughton (upper body). 

Hurricanes

25 Chris Terry - 12 Eric Staal - 32 Kris Versteeg
42 Joakim Nordström - 11 Jordan Staal - 20 Riley Nash
53 Jeff Skinner - 49 Victor Rask - 16 Elias Lindholm
15 Andrej Nestrasil - 18 Jay McClement - 24 Brad Malone

74 Jaccob Slavin - 27 Justin Faulk
65 Ron Hainsey - 54 Brett Pesce
5 Noah Hanifin - 26 John-Michael Liles

31 Eddie Läck
[30 Cam Ward]

Scratches: Michal Jordan (healthy), Nathan Gerbe (lower body), Ryan Murphy (concussion), Jame Wisniewski (IR, torn ACL).

UPDATE 11:30 AM ET

Scott Laughton does not have a concussion and is good to go for the game, according to Flyers' coach Dave Hakstol. The coach is switching up two forward combinations, with Jakub Voracek skating on Pierre-Edouard Bellemare's line and Michael Raffl skating the left wing on Claude Giroux's line with Brayden Schenn on right wing. All three defense pairings hold, with Evgeny Medvedev as a healthy scratch.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I get to bring my two nieces/godchildren to the game this evening for their first hockey game.

I almost feel like a bad uncle.

Hey man, the Hurricanes need all the new fans they can get. :ph34r:

Man, tickets are cheap right now...

Meltzer Update

Scott Laughton does not have a concussion and is good to go for the game, according to Flyers' coach Dave Hakstol. The coach is switching up two forward combinations, with Jakub Voracek skating on Pierre-Edouard Bellemare's line and Michael Raffl skating the left wing on Claude Giroux's line with Brayden Schenn on right wing. All three defense pairings hold, with Evgeny Medvedev as a healthy scratch.

Vorachek bumped off the top line....   He will be centered by Belle and VDV will play the left...  Looks like we have another "Vinny" to worry about w/ Jake's pay vs play right now.  Great work Hexy... great work.

In fairness, Voracek is leading the team in assists... I think this is more of an effort to get the chimpanzee or orangutang - some sort of advanced ape* - off his shoulders.

OK, there's the straw I grasped.

:hocky:

* definitely not a monkey

In fairness, Voracek is leading the team in assists... I think this is more of an effort to get the chimpanzee or orangutang - some sort of advanced ape* - off his shoulders.

I appreciate the grasping at straws rad, I really do...

Again, never thought this team was anything near a playoff team and figured they would be pushing for a lottery pick.  Although, Jake has been an utter disappointment, and frankly, his play really concerns me.   We are talking about a huge contract for a long time.   This team can't afford to have one of their "stars" play like this.  

He needs to find his jam quick...      I could care less if he is on the 4th line right now.   He has earned it IMO...

Meltzer Update

Well that's great news...enjoy the game with your nieces....you're a good man!

Although, Jake has been an utter disappointment, and frankly, his play really concerns me. We are talking about a huge contract for a long time. This team can't afford to have one of their "stars" play like this.

I'm sitting next to you on the "concerned" bandwagon.

This team is a case study in overvaluing players and giving out bad contracts. Not that they're alone in the league at it, but it's a very disappointingly impressive run.

I'm sitting next to you on the "concerned" bandwagon.

This team is a case study in overvaluing players and giving out bad contracts. Not that they're alone in the league at it, but it's a very disappointingly impressive run.

this is my major concern w/ this team... Jake's play is unnerving and Hakstool's lineups leave me more confused w/ each passing goalless games.

Not that this is what Hak is, but at the moment, is his system worse than chief's? Every player's production has gone down.

it is a great question and I really have no idea at this point...   I can't blame him for everything.  I think he is trying to put out a dumpster fire w/ a squirt gun at this point - players not finishing, injuries, etc...

I hate to say it but I think time will tell but right now I really dont know what to think.  I think his lineups are a bit frazzled and illogical which leads me to question if he is really over his head in the NHL...  this is all a learning process for him too.

That could just be a byproduct of the implementation of the system, ie, if he's trying to implement defense out, then it would be expected for the goal scoring to decrease. However, based on what's been said, I'm not sure that's the case (Flyers GAA also really is unchanged from last year). It could be a bad personnel fit. It could be a bad system. From what I've read, that also doesn't seem to be the case, it's similar to many being used successfully around the NHL. It really goes back to personnel, I think. The team has 2/3s of several lines and a bunch of mediocre defensemen.

The problem for Hakstol is finding the best fits with the random assortment of pieces he has. I can't say he's over his head, because I can't fathom how to put together 4 working lines from this collection of forwards. It's hard to blame him tinkering with it all the time because right now nothing is working. It's not like Chief last year when he had some things that were working, and then he just blew them up. Or gave something a period before trying something new.

Evgeny Medvedev as a healthy scratch.

So glad we've secured another 3 million dollar popcorn maker...to bad he can't get on the ice with this defense playing so damn well, i hate to get him out there and have to watch him make a mistake...knowing they could have the shutdown Dman Schultz out there instead.  :ph34r:

I'm sorry but that post made me laugh out loud right there, thanks for the laugh it will keep me from crying about the sad shape of the Flyers...and Eagles.

Archived