Raffl

TimKerrFan12

I go back n forth with him all the time. He works hard and keeps up with the play. He skates well, he goes into the corners and digs for loose pucks as well as anyone. OTOH I have to believe almost anyone else would bring more to that line. He doesn't have great hands, he doesn't have a wicked-fast release...I don't see anything special about him at all.

-wow Gost has a wicked-fast release! 1-0 Flyers!

I go back n forth with him all the time. He works hard and keeps up with the play. He skates well, he goes into the corners and digs for loose pucks as well as anyone. OTOH I have to believe almost anyone else would bring more to that line. He doesn't have great hands, he doesn't have a wicked-fast release...I don't see anything special about him at all.

same thing with read, doesn't do anything poorly, but nothing makes him stand out in any real way.  jobbers, both.

If the man could handle a pass and hit the net he'd lead the league in scoring.

He's decent at puck possession, but he also tends to try too much when he does get the puck. He needs to simplify his game instead of trying to be Rick Nash. Rick Nash he is not.

What is the fascination with this guy?  Playing on the first line and 3 pts in 24 games?  I will admit I haven't seen a lot of games this season, but am I missing something?   Put him on the 3rd line where he belongs.

He should be on the third line with Read couturier. It would be an excellent third line, but people need to stop pretending these three guys are first liners.

He should be on the third line with Read couturier. It would be an excellent third line, but people need to stop pretending these three guys are first liners.

I'm actually liking the Couts/Read/Simmonds line more and more with every game. I read this morning that line had a corsi of just under 60 over the last 4-5 games. That's pretty sick. IMO, there's no reason to switch them up right now.

A lot of that change has to do with limiting the amount of crappy dump and chase plays (Simmonds). Couts and Read are both fantastic at reading plays and creating turnovers, and Couts seems to be really adapting his offensive game to something that plays more to his strengths. I know a number of people here seem to have a hate on for the guy, but I don't feel the same way at all.

Read is less effective than he used to be though. I feel like he'll eventually be the odd man out. I'd love to see someone with more speed on that wing to feed off Couts' ability to steal pucks and create turnovers, which is easily his best asset.

Hey Fan,

We finally get a line that's actually starting to look good and scoring some points and you want to break them up?????

Not a good idea!!!!

Hey Fan,

We finally get a line that's actually starting to look good and scoring some points and you want to break them up?????

Not a good idea!!!!

Hey fan,

Raffl has three points this year. His last point was an assist on November 14. Nothing about him on the first line looks good. Want to leave the other two on the second line for now? Go ahead, I don't care. It won't last, because they aren't top six guys, but I don't care if you leave it there for now. I'm talking first and foremost about getting Raffl off that line.Raffl on the first line is not a good idea.

I'm actually liking the Couts/Read/Simmonds line more and more with every game. I read this morning that line had a corsi of just under 60 over the last 4-5 games. That's pretty sick. IMO, there's no reason to switch them up right now.

A lot of that change has to do with limiting the amount of crappy dump and chase plays (Simmonds). Couts and Read are both fantastic at reading plays and creating turnovers, and Couts seems to be really adapting his offensive game to something that plays more to his strengths. I know a number of people here seem to have a hate on for the guy, but I don't feel the same way at all.

Read is less effective than he used to be though. I feel like he'll eventually be the odd man out. I'd love to see someone with more speed on that wing to feed off Couts' ability to steal pucks and create turnovers, which is easily his best asset.

Be nice. I know, I know, but be nice.

Sorry, I was just talking myself.

It won't last. You can leave them together for now it wouldn't bother me, but it will last. Even you admit at least one of them (Read) won't stay there. But if you want to leave the to them with Simmonds because it's working right now, I wouldn't argue that point. The most important part is that Raffl, whom the thread is about, belongs nowhere near the top line. He's 27 years old and didn't break 30 points in his best year. Enough with the first line crap.

Howdy:

Raffl is among a slew of under-performers If he goes, he goes.  I could see a major revamping of our forwards by next season.  This guy looked good a year ago.  I scratch my head at his output. 

We will win low scoring games and rely on Mason-Neuvirth to save the day.  To me, this group seems like a group of interchangeable parts.  Don't forget, Raffl was one of the few guys who could keep up with Giroux and V among our lumbering herd.  And he was cheap.  So...if he goes and leaves room for someone new from LV, fine.

Howie

The most important part is that Raffl, whom the thread is about, belongs nowhere near the top line. He's 27 years old and didn't break 30 points in his best year. Enough with the first line crap.

Yeah, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Sorry.

I definitely agree about Raffl. He wouldn't sniff the top line on most teams. He gets his shot there with PHI because of the dearth of available LWers. In many ways, he falls in the same category for me as a number of other current roster players. I could take him or leave him I guess. He's not all bad, but I don't think he really makes the team any better.

He's a pretty good battler in the offensive zone, which is nice, but he's not nearly consistent enough when he gets the puck. In fact, it's almost worse in his case because he's really quite good at getting the puck, which almost always leads to a bad wrap around attempt or bad angle shot or something. The play ends with him trying to do something he just can't do.

Yeah, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Sorry.

I definitely agree about Raffl. He wouldn't sniff the top line on most teams. He gets his shot there with PHI because of the dearth of available LWers. In many ways, he falls in the same category for me as a number of other current roster players. I could take him or leave him I guess. He's not all bad, but I don't think he really makes the team any better.

He's a pretty good battler in the offensive zone, which is nice, but he's not nearly consistent enough when he gets the puck. In fact, it's almost worse in his case because he's really quite good at getting the puck, which almost always leads to a bad wrap around attempt or bad angle shot or something. The play ends with him trying to do something he just can't do.

No apologies necessary. I hijacked it myself when I mentioned the other two.

I like all three of them, but in the right positions. If we had more legit top six forwards, they would make an excellent third line.

Hey fan,

Raffl has three points this year. His last point was an assist on November 14. Nothing about him on the first line looks good. Want to leave the other two on the second line for now? Go ahead, I don't care. It won't last, because they aren't top six guys, but I don't care if you leave it there for now. I'm talking first and foremost about getting Raffl off that line.Raffl on the first line is not a good idea.

I am surprised Giroux gets as  many points as he does with Rafl and Voracheck on his line?

same thing with read, doesn't do anything poorly, but nothing makes him stand out in any real way.  jobbers, both.

Raffl's claim for ice-time is his work ethic. I assume that's why he's with Giroux; Hakstol's hoping Raffl creates time/space for Giroux and Whoever and that'll translate into goals. Unfortunately the past few games "Whoever" has been BSchenn and BSchenn is wearing his cloaking device again. That line is scaring no one and going nowhere. The best it can hope to accomplish is to draw some penalties.

Read is an interesting player to me. He's an above-average defender b/c he skates so well on D. But he hardly ever uses those wheels as an offensive "punch." It's great he's a reliable 20-goal guy, every team needs dependable 2-way players on their 3rd line. But Matt Read should be a 30-goal guy, someone who'd crack the top 6 on any NHL team. As it is he just kind of putts along, racks up his 40-odd points and calls it a season. Meh.

Read is an interesting player to me. He's an above-average defender b/c he skates so well on D. But he hardly ever uses those wheels as an offensive "punch." It's great he's a reliable 20-goal guy, every team needs dependable 2-way players on their 3rd line. But Matt Read should be a 30-goal guy, someone who'd crack the top 6 on any NHL team. As it is he just kind of putts along, racks up his 40-odd points and calls it a season. Meh.

That's probably the most accurate read of Read I've ever read.

But Matt Read should be a 30-goal guy

I am curious what has happened to Read. 24 in his first year, then 11 in 42 games and then 22. After that, if anyone "should" be a reliable 20-goal guy after that, it's Read.

Then he gets 8 last season and 3 in 25 games this year (projecting to 9-10)?

He's also projecting to 19-20 points this year. I'd be happy if he was looking at a reliable 40.

Coincidentally(?) his scoring dropped off a cliff as soon as his four-year deal was signed...

I am curious what has happened to Read. 24 in his first year, then 11 in 42 games and then 22. After that, if anyone "should" be a reliable 20-goal guy after that, it's Read.

He's also projecting to 19-20 points this year. I'd be happy if he was looking at a reliable 40.

Coincidentally(?) his scoring dropped off a cliff as soon as his four-year deal was signed...

I was ready to write off last year as a fluke due to the injury. But I'm completely baffled as to what has happened to Read. His shot has completely tanked. He was a 14+ percent shooter his first three years, but was at 5.6 last season, and is at 5.9% now. Last season he didn't shoot more than previous seasons, and he's only shooting about .2 shots more per game this year, so it's not like he's just firing away from everywhere driving that number down. He had a great release and now it's just gone. I honestly can't fathom what happened. He's not playing like a player I would think was phoning it in now that he got a new contract, he's still playing with hustle and going into the dirty areas. Did he just peak early? Three .25 gpg seasons in a row, and now he's just done?

Edit: I guess peak early is the wrong phrase, since he was in his prime those three years. But there was no gradual decline, there.

But there was no gradual decline, there.

Yeah, I just don't get it at all.

Was he playing with better linemates in those first three years? I went back through the game log from 13-14 and see folks like Jason Akeson, Zac Rinaldo, Steve Downie and, often, a defenseman (Streit, Coburn). Couturier, as well (seem to recall the "chemistry" there).

Is he just lost in the shuffle now or something?

Anyone?

Ya I don't get it either. He "should" be a 30-goal guy, as in he's got the skills, the tools to be an offensive force and rack up 60+ pts every year. And yet, after showing some early promise - 24 goals his first season - he's gone south in a big way. Shooting under 6% wtf is that all about?

Not only should he be a reliable 20+ goal guy, but the Flyers need him to be.  I understand that a player doesn't have to be a 20+ goal scorer to have value on a team but when the Flyers extended him his offensive production was a big part of why he is getting paid as much as he is.  Unfortunately Read is part of the problem with this team.  2 top line caliber players in G and Jake and then the rest of the forwards are 3rd, 4th liners and fringe NHLers.    

Archived