Do you believe in Ghosts? Meet Shayne Gostisbehere

swflyers28

You don't soon forget when you've seen a ghost; you definitely don't soon forget when you've seen The Ghost.

I know I don't (more on that in a moment).‎

The Ghost, of course, is Shayne Gostisbehere‎, the Philadelphia Flyers' 22-year-old rookie defenceman who may well be one of the most exciting, dynamic and unique young players in the NHL.

In nine games since being called up to the Flyers from Lehigh Valley in the American Hockey League, Philadelphia has gone 5-2-2. Gostisbehere has four goals and six points, including three power-play goals (two of them overtime game-winners) while playing 17 to 20 minutes‎ a night.

The Ghost can't be the only reason the Flyers have suddenly become relevant again in the Eastern Conference, but the Margate, Fla., native who played his minor hockey in the Florida Panthers' practice rink in Coral Springs is nothing if not, by nature, a catalyst. 

Read the article by Bob McKenzie

http://www.tsn.ca/do-you-believe-in-ghosts-meet-shayne-gostisbehere-1.403163

In nine games since being called up to the Flyers from Lehigh Valley in the American Hockey League, Philadelphia has gone 5-2-2.

That's all I need to know, right there. Plus, since Cooter came back from injury, a better hockey team.

the Margate, Fla., native who played his minor hockey in the Florida Panthers' practice rink in Coral Springs is nothing if not, by nature, a catalyst. 

Not the point of this thread, but you have to wonder if the fans at the practice rink outnumber the fans at the BB&T Center.

Also interesting to note that MacKenzie refers to Gostisbehere as "light," but if Ghost isn't exaggerating when he says he's 185, he's bigger than Karlsson.

My cat is bigger than karlsson

That's all I need to know, right there. Plus, since Cooter came back from injury, a better hockey team.

1-2-1 with Couturier post injury/no ghost

5-2-2 with Couturier post injury/with ghost.

I was told by many people that Ghost isn't ready for the NHL because he needs more developement. I was also told that I know nothing about hockey.

1-2-1 with Couturier post injury/no ghost

5-2-2 with Couturier post injury/with ghost.

I was told by many people that Ghost isn't ready for the NHL because he needs more developement. I was also told that I know nothing about hockey.

I think people said he shouldn't be gifted a roster spot, that he would need to make the most of the opportunities he had to prove he was ready for the NHL. in the meantime, keep getting better with big minutes in the A. And hey, that's exactly what happened.

Wow, aziz, that's a really big [cat] you got there.

AND he doesn't routinely overcommit in the offensive zone.

We've had some calls with Colorado, but are holding out for a contender.

I think people said he shouldn't be gifted a roster spot, that he would need to make the most of the opportunities he had to prove he was ready for the NHL. in the meantime, keep getting better with big minutes in the A. And hey, that's exactly what happened.

Nobody should be given a roster spot but it was clear that he could contribute more than macdonald, schenn, shultz, and manning. I'm not trying to make this a "told ya so" post but I just think the AHL conditioning thing is a thing of the past. If this was the '80s, he might need some time to grow physically before he's playing big NHL men. In the new NHL though, if you have the skills, you can play. A guy like Morin does not have the skills yet. Also, if this team was in the top 10 NHL teams, give him some more AHL time. But when the team is terrible and you're throwing out shultz, manning, and schenn night after night when you have a guy like that in the AHL, that's a disgrace.

I understand that you can't bring up everyone because they dont fit into the cap. Good GMs can usually move some of the dead weight to fit the young guys in though. More than likely, the young guy has much less of a cap hit than the dead weight so it's almost like if you move 1 dead weight contract, you can add two young talents.

Archived