Lecavalier... eeeinteresting.

Bakanekimiwa

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean he could retire now.  I wouldn't have that much integrity if I were him.  I'd stay and get paid.  It's a lot of money.  But he could now be at the point where he's just saying, alright I accept that I'm done and can't compete any more.

The thing is I don't think VLC "accepts" that is the case. I don't think he's hanging around "just to get paid" - I think he thinks he can still contribute in this league*.

If he walks away from this contract, he's done.

On the flip side, given how he's been "treated" by the Flyers, I don't think it would occur to him to "help out the team" and get off their cap.

I get the feeling it's a pretty toxic environment and one that both would be better off moving along from.

Whether that happens is anyone's guess, but I just don't see him "retiring."

* I disagree, but that's neither here nor there

The thing is I don't think VLC "accepts" that is the case. I don't think he's hanging around "just to get paid" - I think he thinks he can still contribute in this league*.

If he walks away from this contract, he's done.

On the flip side, given how he's been "treated" by the Flyers, I don't think it would occur to him to "help out the team" and get off their cap.

I get the feeling it's a pretty toxic environment and one that both would be better off moving along from.

Whether that happens is anyone's guess, but I just don't see him "retiring."

* I disagree, but that's neither here nor there

Yeah, I think you nailed it. This is toxic on both sides, but I believe Lecav is a class act. He's not an effective player, but he thinks he is. It's hard to blame the guy. He was not just "kind of good"; he was stellar. To go from that to has been in such a short time must be hard to swallow.

I'd love to see him move on. I'm sure we all would. But you nailed it, he has no interest in doing favours for the Flyers.

On the flip side, given how he's been "treated" by the Flyers

I guess quotations because "treated" is from his point of view, right?

The rest of this is in response to his "treated" point of view rather than directed at you.

But how was he "treated" by the Flyers.   Signed to an absurd contract just 15 minutes after being bought out by the team he'd spent his entire career on and was instrumental (integral?) in bringing their only cup.  Why?  Because they assessed that he couldn't play anymore.   So, the Flyers treat him to millions of dollars in addition to the millions of dollars he's already being paid by Tampa to not play for them.   They try him on both the wing and at center and he proves incapable or unwilling to actually play anywhere on his side of the red line.  True, they put him at wing where he's not comfortable (while making not one but TWO paychecks) and he did get some points while at center, but he did nothing of value and was an anchor nearly everywhere they put him.    His game sucks, and his attitude sucks.

I wish they'd treat him to a ride with Danny Heatley, to be honest.  

I just don't think he has a legitimate gripe about the way he's been treated.

I was going to call him a thief, actually, but that's giving Holmgren a pass.   If Holmgren is analogous to a mugging victim, he's not the kind that just gets accosted walking home from work at night.  He's the guy who deliberately goes out at night and walks down every dark alley he can find yelling "I have $4M in my pocket and am unarmed and have a ******!" until someone robs him.  And then, "who knew?"

Totally from his perspective, rux.

1) signed to play in Lavvy's system. Lasts seven games.

2) first healthy scratch of career, and many more

3) told he MUST play wing, having never played wing before, because "any forwadd can play any position"

4) scratched in the opener against Tampa

My point is I don't see him in a mindset of "let's help out the franchise!"

3) told he MUST play wing, having never played wing before, because "any forwadd can play any position"

I kinda can't believe we're still discussing any possible scenario where Vinny walks away from guaranteed money. This is simply NOT going to happen. It's a suggestion that seems to go against human nature... not one person on this board would walk away from guaranteed money, so I can't even believe it's an honest suggestion.

I read an interesting article by pannachio today about...wait a second...no I didn't because pannachio didnt write anything about this.

So Im guessing he gets paid to live tweet and hold a microphone up to players after the game?

I agree. But with TWO teams paying him to NOT play, you'd think he could afford to buy some big boy panties.

I kinda can't believe we're still discussing any possible scenario where Vinny walks away from guaranteed money. This is simply NOT going to happen. It's a suggestion that seems to go against human nature... not one person on this board would walk away from guaranteed money, so I can't even believe it's an honest suggestion.

Yeah. No way I do it either.

I read an interesting article by pannachio today about...wait a second...no I didn't because pannachio didnt write anything about this.

So Im guessing he gets paid to live tweet and hold a microphone up to players after the game?

I can't believe Pinocchio gets paid for anything. The guy defines 'hack'. He can't form a coherent thought using proper English. He also doesn't understand grammar or use a spell-checker. His editors seem to be completely MIA. He's highly ignorant with social media... the list goes on. I resent that he's in the position that he is because he's not serving the fans... he's serving his wine obsession. 

If im him i keep quiet and take the cash. Its obvious if anyone in the league thought he had something left he would be there now. Hell at this point i would waive my nmc and move to the ahl so at least i could play and have a better chance of anther team picking me up. It should be easier to move a player thats at least in game shape than one thats passed popcorn for 40 games. As a GM i would try anything to move this guy and as a player who still thinks i have it i would do anything to prove it.

If im him i keep quiet and take the cash. Its obvious if anyone in the league thought he had something left he would be there now. Hell at this point i would waive my nmc and move to the ahl so at least i could play and have a better chance of anther team picking me up. It should be easier to move a player thats at least in game shape than one thats passed popcorn for 40 games. As a GM i would try anything to move this guy and as a player who still thinks i have it i would do anything to prove it.

Question:

If a player is being paid not to play, why does he have to show up to the games to sit in the press box? Would it not ease the tension and take the focus off him if he weren't in the building?

ie: If I were him, I'd be on a tropical island somewhere.  :)

Question:

If a player is being paid not to play, why does he have to show up to the games to sit in the press box? Would it not ease the tension and take the focus off him if he weren't in the building?

ie: If I were him, I'd be on a tropical island somewhere.   :)

I guess you need to be available in a moments notice in case someone gets injured in practice or even gets sick before a game. A just in case reason.

I guess you need to be available in a moments notice in case someone gets injured in practice or even gets sick before a game. A just in case reason.

Which makes sense if someone is a healthy scratch for a game or two. In this case, it seems clear that the team is never going to play him.   :confused[1]:

Which makes sense if someone is a healthy scratch for a game or two. In this case, it seems clear that the team is never going to play him.   :confused[1]:

From the accounts I've seen, VLC hasn't become a real "cancer" in the room despite his benching.

That said, it might be better for them to simply send him home - but that does then eliminate any possibility that they could move him for a skate sharpener.

I would imagine team rules require him to be on site for games (if not, in fact, NHL rules?)

Question:

ie: If I were him, I'd be on a tropical island somewhere.   :)

Ya but he's gotta stay in game shape so after Philly buys him out this summer he can have three teams paying him NOT to play next season.

From the accounts I've seen, VLC hasn't become a real "cancer" in the room despite his benching.

That said, it might be better for them to simply send him home - but that does then eliminate any possibility that they could move him for a skate sharpener.

I would imagine team rules require him to be on site for games (if not, in fact, NHL rules?)

He's probably eaten a skate sharpener's worth of popcorn by now in the press box.  ;)

He should get a contract with Armani or something. Think of the ad revenue. He's always in a suit!  

I guess quotations because "treated" is from his point of view, right?

The rest of this is in response to his "treated" point of view rather than directed at you.

But how was he "treated" by the Flyers. Signed to an absurd contract just 15 minutes after being bought out by the team he'd spent his entire career on and was instrumental (integral?) in bringing their only cup. Why? Because they assessed that he couldn't play anymore. So, the Flyers treat him to millions of dollars in addition to the millions of dollars he's already being paid by Tampa to not play for them. They try him on both the wing and at center and he proves incapable or unwilling to actually play anywhere on his side of the red line. True, they put him at wing where he's not comfortable (while making not one but TWO paychecks) and he did get some points while at center, but he did nothing of value and was an anchor nearly everywhere they put him. His game sucks, and his attitude sucks.

I wish they'd treat him to a ride with Danny Heatley, to be honest.

I just don't think he has a legitimate gripe about the way he's been treated.

I was going to call him a thief, actually, but that's giving Holmgren a pass. If Holmgren is analogous to a mugging victim, he's not the kind that just gets accosted walking home from work at night. He's the guy who deliberately goes out at night and walks down every dark alley he can find yelling "I have $4M in my pocket and am unarmed and have a ******!" until someone robs him. And then, "who knew?"

How did they assess he couldn't play anymore? He scored 2 points in three games under Lavvy (pretty much the only guy scoring) then got hurt and subsequently benched by Berube or relegated to 5 minutes a night of garbage time for the rest of the season (when e wasn't benched) where he still managed to score 20 goals. Then last year heaved and died in those crappy minutes and the 4th Ljme where he still managed to put up better numbers than Umberger (total) or Read (game by game). Who hires Vinny LeCavalier and takes him off the PP three games into the season?

Objectively, his first two seasons here, I honestly can't disagree that he wasn't treated fairly.

Where he is now? The team make up is different now. The goals and roles are more clearly defined and it seems clear that scoring isn't the priority just yet.

I still think this is a mistake when it comes to Vinny and to Mac. I think Berube mishandled them both and Hextall let him and its a

Travesty to the team.

Both should have been on the ice every night in PP situations as much as possible to make them look valuable.

Last year the team would have been better suited to lose 10 more games but get Vinny 30 or more goals on the PP.

The priority last year should never have been winning it should have been making these two albatrosses look as alive and worthwhile as possible.

This year's a different story. Now Hakstol is trying to re-educate the whole team. It wouldn't dur to accentuate either guy because Hakstol wouldn't be th guy to engineer it (frankly Lavvy would've been that guy).

Anyway, yeah I think he was mistreated by the organization. We all were.

As an aside it's ironic that the very contracts making them filthy rich are keeping both guys off the ice. More realistic contracts and both could be playing somewhere else or even on the flyers possibly (at least Mac maybe).

How did they assess he couldn't play anymore? He scored 2 points in three games under Lavvy (pretty much the only guy scoring) then got hurt and subsequently benched by Berube or relegated to 5 minutes a night of garbage time for the rest of the season (when e wasn't benched) where he still managed to score 20 goals. Then last year heaved and died in those crappy minutes and the 4th Ljme where he still managed to put up better numbers than Umberger (total) or Read (game by game). Who hires Vinny LeCavalier and takes him off the PP three games into the season?

Objectively, his first two seasons here, I honestly can't disagree that he wasn't treated fairly.

Where he is now? The team make up is different now. The goals and roles are more clearly defined and it seems clear that scoring isn't the priority just yet.

I still think this is a mistake when it comes to Vinny and to Mac. I think Berube mishandled them both and Hextall let him and its a

Travesty to the team.

Both should have been on the ice every night in PP situations as much as possible to make them look valuable.

Last year the team would have been better suited to lose 10 more games but get Vinny 30 or more goals on the PP.

The priority last year should never have been winning it should have been making these two albatrosses look as alive and worthwhile as possible.

This year's a different story. Now Hakstol is trying to re-educate the whole team. It wouldn't dur to accentuate either guy because Hakstol wouldn't be th guy to engineer it (frankly Lavvy would've been that guy).

Anyway, yeah I think he was mistreated by the organization. We all were.

As an aside it's ironic that the very contracts making them filthy rich are keeping both guys off the ice. More realistic contracts and both could be playing somewhere else or even on the flyers possibly (at least Mac maybe).

Point by point, it's hard to disagree with any of that.

You're still wrong, though. ;)

(Wow I'm bored with this Leafs bye week........)   :confused[1]:

VLC had 20 points in 57 games last season with ATOI of 12:38. That means he was on pace for......... (insert calculator)......  approximately 40 points in 82 games if he had played 18:00 minutes per game, good for 6th best on the team. :cool[1]:  

Probably the only reason Kessel stayed in the lineup last season with Toronto!  

Archived