Game #32 - Canucks at Flyers - Dec 17 2015 - 7:00 ET

brelic

Meltzer's write up: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-121715-vs-Canucks/45/73309

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.10 (29th), Canucks 2.50 (21st)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.71 (21st), Canucks 2.84 (23rd)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 40/49, Canucks 49/53
Power play efficiency: Flyers 16.9% (25th), Canucks 18.4% (17th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 80.0% (T-18th), Canucks 77.9% (24th)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.4 (T-8th), Canucks 29.2 (18th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 32.4 (29th), Canucks 30.3 (T-20th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 49.2% (23rd), Canucks 46.4% (30th)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 10 Brayden Schenn
93 Jakub Voracek - 14 Sean Couturier - 17 Wayne Simmonds
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 20 R.J. Umberger

15 Michael Del Zotto - 3 Radko Gudas 
55 Nick Schultz - 82 Evgeny Medvedev 
23 Brandon Manning - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

30 Michal Neuvirth / 35 Steve Mason

Scratches: Vincent Lecavalier (healthy), Sam Gagner (could be activated from IR), Mark Streit (LTIR, displaced pubic plate), Luke Schenn (left foot/ankle).

Canucks

22 Daniel Sedin - 33 Henrik Sedin - 36 Jannik Hansen
20 Chris Higgins - 91 Jared McCann - 17 Radim Vrbata
47 Sven Baertschi - 53 Bo Horvat - 14 Alexandre Burrows
9 Brandon Prust - 24 Adam Cracknell - 15 Derek Dorsett

23 Alexander Edler - 8 Chris Tanev 
27 Ben Hutton - 55 Alex Biega
44 Matt Bartkowski - 6 Yannick Weber

35 Jacob Markström / 30 Ryan Miller

Scratches: Ronalds Kenins (healthy), Andrey Pedan (healthy), Jake Virtanen (loan to Hockey Canada), Brandon Sutter (IR, sports hernia), Dan Hamhuis (IR, facial injuries).

A win would push the Flyers to 5th in the Metro, ahead of Pittsburgh (Who does have 2 games in hand). Flyers are 6-3-1 in their last 10, but a lot of their wins are coming in OT. Liking much of what I've seen over that span, hoping maybe the new system is starting to take hold. They seem to be scoring more ES goals of late - all three regulation goals on Tuesday were at ES.

Jeez, the Couturier/Voracek/Simmonds line has been damned good again tonight. Couturier was throwing his body around with authority tonight and all three have really been cycling well in the offensive zone. The points are going to start coming for Couturier. He's going to have a big second half of the season.

This was a very disciplined effort. I liked our penalty kill. The Coots line looks good.  Hakstol has a level of effort head and shoulders above the Great Mind in Hockey.  On the downside--Laughton looks a bit dazed; we need at least some scoring from the third and fourth lines. 

Howie

This was a very disciplined effort. I liked our penalty kill. The Coots line looks good.  Hakstol has a level of effort head and shoulders above the Great Mind in Hockey.  On the downside--Laughton looks a bit dazed; we need at least some scoring from the third and fourth lines. 

Howie

As I said before, Laughton is being wasted on the roster right now and he really has shown anything altely. He's not even playing 10 minutes a night. That won't help his development. Send him down for the rest of the year to work on his game and bring up Cousins

As I said before, Laughton is being wasted on the roster right now and he really has shown anything altely. He's not even playing 10 minutes a night. That won't help his development. Send him down for the rest of the year to work on his game and bring up Cousins

I'm on board with sending him down but I'd just roll with Gagner on the 4th line.  I'd let Cousins continue to get more minutes in the AHL rather than have him come here get less and get no PP exposure.  

I'm on board with sending him down but I'd just roll with Gagner on the 4th line. I'd let Cousins continue to get more minutes in the AHL rather than have him come here get less and get no PP exposure.

I'm afraid If Streit comes back, they'll have to send Laughton back down and play Gagner or Vinny. Neither has played C for a while so that makes me nervous.

Failing that they'll have to waive one of them and Gagner would probably be claimed.

This was a very disciplined effort. I liked our penalty kill. The Coots line looks good. Hakstol has a level of effort head and shoulders above the Great Mind in Hockey. On the downside--Laughton looks a bit dazed; we need at least some scoring from the third and fourth lines.

Howie

Essentially a 4 point night too-almost everyone above them lost.

I wouldn't call Laughton a wasted spot but Gagner ready to return should send Laughton back down to get a lot more minutes than he is currently seeing. Ultimately, Laughton>VLC ............

I'm afraid If Streit comes back, they'll have to send Laughton back down and play Gagner or Vinny. Neither has played C for a while so that makes me nervous.

Failing that they'll have to waive one of them and Gagner would probably be claimed.

I'd like to see Gagner back on the ice somewhere, whether that's at center or on a wing. I don't really find he's had the chance to show what he can do. It may not work out super well, but I think he needs ice time before that can really be decided.

I'd like to see Gagner back on the ice somewhere, whether that's at center or on a wing. I don't really find he's had the chance to show what he can do. It may not work out super well, but I think he needs ice time before that can really be decided.

It occurred to me that he should play on g's linevfor a while. Could work now th at Jakes gone

Archived