Center Ice and not in Philly

vonginous

This is for people living outside the Flyers broadcast area and have center ice on direct TV. Is it just me, or is there something up with the flyers feeds on most games?  Almost always have to listen to the other teams feed. Anyone else have to deal with this. 

Bringing this up now because I have to deal with the awful pens announcers tonight and I don't like it.

I had this issue all the time with my DishNetwork subscription.  I also had the online version as every NY game was blacked out too. 

However now that I am utilizing my international address with an international IP address nothing is blacked out which is nice but I sure got tired of hearing about Santa Sacks. 

31 minutes ago, vonginous said:

This is for people living outside the Flyers broadcast area and have center ice on direct TV. Is it just me, or is there something up with the flyers feeds on most games?  Almost always have to listen to the other teams feed. Anyone else have to deal with this. 

Bringing this up now because I have to deal with the awful pens announcers tonight and I don't like it.

been bothering me for years and this year is the worst yet. I think I've had the Flyers' feed 10 times - certainly no more than that. It's a joke; CI's marketing spiel is all about "Listen to your favorite announcers!" but obviously it doesn't apply to the Flyers.

17 minutes ago, off_the_post said:

I had this issue all the time with my DishNetwork subscription.  I also had the online version as every NY game was blacked out too. 

However now that I am utilizing my international address with an international IP address nothing is blacked out which is nice but I sure got tired of hearing about Santa Sacks. 

Rather Santa sacks and tastycakes then booing santa

33 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

Ed Snider, The Owner of the Flyers and COMCAST, only releases the philly local feed when he absolutely has too.

This is what I thought. Don't know why you wouldn't  want to spread you brand as much as possible. Simple marketing. Get it in front of as many people as you can. 

Well he does have millions of dollars and I don't have millions of dollars. So there's that. He probably knows better. 

1 minute ago, vonginous said:

This is what I thought. Don't know why you wouldn't  want to spread you brand as much as possible. Simple marketing. Get it in front of as many people as you can. 

Well he does have millions of dollars and I don't have millions of dollars. So there's that. He probably knows better. 

Well I know he won't release the CSN feed to the sports package for directv. I think they force him to release so many games for the CI package though when you watch those feeds they cut off the second the game is over.

49 minutes ago, vonginous said:

Yes this has been an issue for years. I live in upstate NY and rarely get the Flyers feed, although  it has been available much more this year than years past. I will be watching the game on mute so I don't have to hear Steigerwald & Errey

1 hour ago, JackStraw said:

This is why I switched from Center Ice to Game Center Live. Every game is in HD and you always get your choice of broadcasts. Plus, you can always watch on your laptop/tablet/phone if you're on the road.

WTF have you been i don't recall seeing you post since the update. Welcome back if you have and i'm ignore my ignorance...and still welcome back.

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

WTF have you been i don't recall seeing you post since the update. Welcome back if you have and i'm ignore my ignorance...and still welcome back.

Since what update? I've been around, but thanks anyways...

I second the switch from Center Ice to Game Center.

I get HD feeds of all non-national broadcasts with the choose of Home or Away feeds.  

When there is a national broadcast, I use my phone and a app called FakeGPS.  Set my location in some other country and use NBC's app to watch the game.  I usually plug my phone into the TV and then I have a full screen HD broadcast.  

It's also handy when traveling.  

9 hours ago, Digityman said:

I second the switch from Center Ice to Game Center.

I get HD feeds of all non-national broadcasts with the choose of Home or Away feeds.  

When there is a national broadcast, I use my phone and a app called FakeGPS.  Set my location in some other country and use NBC's app to watch the game.  I usually plug my phone into the TV and then I have a full screen HD broadcast.  

It's also handy when traveling.  

How is the video quality on game center?  Are there lagging issues? 

2 hours ago, canoli said:

Thanks everyone for the info I'm gonna check out game center I think. I don't mind most away announcers but the Pens' guys are pitiful. 

really do recommend it.  with a smart TV or something like an xbox, you can watch both broadcast and GC cames on the same screen (or, more to the point, from the same comfy sofa).  and have the option of watching on a smartphone/tablet/computer for the GC games.  this is the second season i've gone that route, and wouldn't think of going back to being tied to cable TV for games.

edit:  also, to this day, i can't believe pittsburgh went with stagerwald for their play by play.  he was brutal as a color guy behind lang, and just so much worse as the primary voice.

16 hours ago, aziz said:

with a smart TV or something like an xbox, you can watch both broadcast and GC cames on the same screen (or, more to the point, from the same comfy sofa)

Hmm...I think I'm computer-literate but "watch both...on the same screen" confused me ... "both" what exactly?

4 minutes ago, canoli said:

Hmm...I think I'm computer-literate but "watch both...on the same screen" confused me ... "both" what exactly?

used to be i could only watch GC games in my office on my computer, which was a big negative.  with the advent of smart tv's and media apps for game systems, can stream games to the big tv in front of the comfy couch, which removed the only advantage center ice had.  

"both" refered to GC games and those broadcast on NBC, and thus blacked out on GC.  used to be frustrating to settle down at my computer, track the game down, and then get the blackout message, and have to relocate downstairs.  now, the same TV can handle both.  round about way of saying i don't see any reason to even think about center ice anymore.

Ah - gotcha, thanks.

So for Flyers' games you always have the choice between home and away feeds? Where do you live? I ask because I wonder if the choices may be region-specific. The website is no help; it brags about having both feeds but Center Ice claims the same bullshit. The blackout FAQ doesn't address the question. Anyone using GC in NYC?

Meanwhile 1/2 the season is over and they still want (what I assume is) full price - $131.49. Maybe I'll try it for a month, see whether my devices play well with GC.

1 hour ago, canoli said:

Ah - gotcha, thanks.

So for Flyers' games you always have the choice between home and away feeds? Where do you live? I ask because I wonder if the choices may be region-specific. The website is no help; it brags about having both feeds but Center Ice claims the same bullshit. The blackout FAQ doesn't address the question. Anyone using GC in NYC?

Meanwhile 1/2 the season is over and they still want (what I assume is) full price - $131.49. Maybe I'll try it for a month, see whether my devices play well with GC.

I live in Maine, always get a choice of feeds. It was the same when I lived in Boston. I think the only thing affected by where you live is which games are blacked out. In my case, it's the Bruins.

21 hours ago, aziz said:

used to be i could only watch GC games in my office on my computer, which was a big negative.  with the advent of smart tv's and media apps for game systems, can stream games to the big tv in front of the comfy couch, which removed the only advantage center ice had.  

"both" refered to GC games and those broadcast on NBC, and thus blacked out on GC.  used to be frustrating to settle down at my computer, track the game down, and then get the blackout message, and have to relocate downstairs.  now, the same TV can handle both.  round about way of saying i don't see any reason to even think about center ice anymore.

My issue is I RARELY if ever get to sit down at 7pm to watch a game...trying to get dinner made, son and daughter to bed....shower. SO I'm forced to DVR all games and start them at like 8:30. Which is great cuz I can fast forward through commercials/long stoppage/or even the game if it''s a clunker....

Any way to "DVR" with gamecenter? it's been the only reason I haven't switched over......

Archived