Game #48 - Canadiens at Flyers - Feb 2 2016 - 7:00 ET

brelic

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-2216-vs-MTL-Flyers-Alumni-Game/45/74433

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.28 (27th), Canadiens 2.66 (10th)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.62 (15th), Canadiens 2.66 (T-19th)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 64/68, Canadiens 97/66
Power play efficiency: Flyers 17.4% (T-21st), Canadiens 17.4% (T-21st)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 78.0% (26th), Canadiens 84.3% (6th)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.4 (11th), Canadiens 31.8 (4th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 32.3 (29th), Canadiens 27.4 (4th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 50.1% (T-15th),Canadiens 51.3% (T-5th)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

93 Jakub Voracek - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
89 Sam Gagner - 14 Sean Couturier - 10 Brayden Schenn
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White
24 Matt Read - 12 Michael Raffl - 20 R.J. Umberger 

15 Michael Del Zotto - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth or 49 Jason LaBarbera]

Scratches: Evgeny Medvedev (healthy), Jordan Weal (healthy), Scott Laughton (healthy), Michal Neuvirth (left practice early on Monday, to be re-evaluated).

Canadiens

67 Max Pacioretty - 51 David Desharnais - 22 Dale Weise
27 Alex Galchenyuk - 14 Tomas Plekanec - 11 Brendan Gallagher
15 Tomas Fleischmann - 81 Lars Eller - 42 Sven Andrighetto
32 Brian Flynn - 17 Torrey Mitchell - 21 Devante Smith-Pelly

79 Andrei Markov - 76 P.K. Subban
74 Alexei Emelin - 26 Jeff Petry
28 Nathan Beaulieu - 45 Mark Barberio

39 Mike Condon
[40 Ben Scrivens]

Scratches: Lucas Lessio (healthy), Greg Pateryn (healthy), Tom Gilbert (questionable), Carey Price (IR, lower body), Paul Byron (IR, lower body), Daniel Carr (IR, right knee).

---

There's also a bit of concerning news about Mason:

Goaltender Steve Mason took back-to-back maintenance days and then missed last Wednesday's game with a lower-body injury. He reported feeling better, and will get the start on Monday. The goaltender is said to be on a maintenance plan to manage the issue and get him through the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-2216-vs-MTL-Flyers-Alumni-Game/45/74433

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.28 (27th), Canadiens 2.66 (10th)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.62 (15th), Canadiens 2.66 (T-19th)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 64/68, Canadiens 97/66
Power play efficiency: Flyers 17.4% (T-21st), Canadiens 17.4% (T-21st)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 78.0% (26th), Canadiens 84.3% (6th)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.4 (11th), Canadiens 31.8 (4th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 32.3 (29th), Canadiens 27.4 (4th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 50.1% (T-15th),Canadiens 51.3% (T-5th)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

93 Jakub Voracek - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
89 Sam Gagner - 14 Sean Couturier - 10 Brayden Schenn
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White
24 Matt Read - 12 Michael Raffl - 20 R.J. Umberger 

15 Michael Del Zotto - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth or 49 Jason LaBarbera]

Scratches: Evgeny Medvedev (healthy), Jordan Weal (healthy), Scott Laughton (healthy), Michal Neuvirth (left practice early on Monday, to be re-evaluated).

Canadiens

67 Max Pacioretty - 51 David Desharnais - 22 Dale Weise
27 Alex Galchenyuk - 14 Tomas Plekanec - 11 Brendan Gallagher
15 Tomas Fleischmann - 81 Lars Eller - 42 Sven Andrighetto
32 Brian Flynn - 17 Torrey Mitchell - 21 Devante Smith-Pelly

79 Andrei Markov - 76 P.K. Subban
74 Alexei Emelin - 26 Jeff Petry
28 Nathan Beaulieu - 45 Mark Barberio

39 Mike Condon
[40 Ben Scrivens]

Scratches: Lucas Lessio (healthy), Greg Pateryn (healthy), Tom Gilbert (questionable), Carey Price (IR, lower body), Paul Byron (IR, lower body), Daniel Carr (IR, right knee).

---

There's also a bit of concerning news about Mason:

Goaltender Steve Mason took back-to-back maintenance days and then missed last Wednesday's game with a lower-body injury. He reported feeling better, and will get the start on Monday. The goaltender is said to be on a maintenance plan to manage the issue and get him through the rest of the season.

That does not sound encouraging...   

Thinking this through, who would/could be a spot starter from LV?  LaBarbera's numbers aren't inspiring.  Is it too early to call on Stolarz (my preference)?  Where is the Zepper when we need him?

Howie

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Thinking this through, who would/could be a spot starter from LV?  LaBarbera's numbers aren't inspiring.  Is it too early to call on Stolarz (my preference)?  Where is the Zepper when we need him?

Howie

I think it will be LaBarbera Howie... I would keep Stolarz down in the AHL for now...

Umberger a HEALTHY SCRATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, there is a god! Second half of the season starting off right! 

Here's hoping he nails the popcorn service tonight so Homer and Hextall will invite him back :P

29 minutes ago, brelic said:

@occamsrazor 

That bottom six looks pretty weak, doesn't it??

Sheesh. Peppered with borderline NHLers.

Yeah not a lot of goals coming from that bunch. I guess we'll see some more in flux of talent maybe next year but barring an injury this is what it will look like till the end of the year.

Occam and Colleagues:

One of the reason I don't frankly care about the playoffs this year is exactly what's been said about the folks here.  I think over half this club is gone in two years and nearly half by next fall.  Giving this bunch playoff experience is a waste relative to better draft pick.

Umby sitting is long overdue.  Weal would get priority over Gagner in my book if I had to decide between the two.  Neither has enough time to get much traction....Gagner is being written off in my view....

Howie

7 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Stolarz is recalled, not LaBarbera:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers

Bad news, Neuvy is out for 10 days.  Good news, they must have enough faith in Stolarz to make a difference if needed.  

Howie

Or they've seen Hanna-LaBarbera play...

Mason sounds like he wants to take the reins and be "the guy" and I'm hoping that they give him that chance and see whether he steps up to it.

The bottom six is the problem with this team trying to make a run at the playoffs. They just don't have the talent there.

Read (signed for two more seasons) has fallen off a cliff. It's like he's not even there any more.

Raffl/White/VDV/PEB/Laughton/Weal/Umburglar/whoever just doesn't scare anybody except Flyer fans.

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Read (signed for two more seasons) has fallen off a cliff. It's like he's not even there any more.

I haven't watched enough games to really comment, but my assumption is that he's not skating like he used to. Has he lost a step? Suggests a nagging injury of some kind or he's just not kept up...

18 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I haven't watched enough games to really comment, but my assumption is that he's not skating like he used to. Has he lost a step? Suggests a nagging injury of some kind or he's just not kept up...

I don't think anything is wrong with him other than a natural decline due to age. He joined the Flyers at 25, and he will be 30 in a few months. So, his first year was his best, and it's been a consistent decline since then. We have long since seen the best of Read.

1 minute ago, brelic said:

I don't think anything is wrong with him other than a natural decline due to age. He joined the Flyers at 25, and he will be 30 in a few months. So, his first year was his best, and it's been a consistent decline since then. We have long since seen the best of Read.

Well than he should be moved pronto.

Archived