Absolutely Garbage Officiating By a Garbage League!

Lunatic

There is no excuse for the Flyers pitiful first periods. In a balanced league, it should and does cost them points. My concern is the horrendous officiating. I won't review all the recent, and past horrors, which have been numerous in every game, and focus on today's game. The official allows a spear to Ghost"s groin with no call, so much for protecting young super stars. If it is a Flyer they just look the other way. Then in overtime, they a call a phantom penalty against Jake. What can you expect from a league rife with nepotism, blind to its' fans, run by a slimy shyster! 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Problem is, I'm not sure it's inept. It may be that oft denied NHL phrase "manage the game". 

WWE anyone?? :cry:

When a phantom game misconduct comes from Toronto 8 seconds after a missed hipcheck I can assure you it's inept, intentionally that way.

If I was Ed Snider, I'd just hire a team to advise tickets to the games, to all comcast subscribers, featuring a bunch of bad calls and shady plays like the Ghost sphere.

"YOU CAN WATCH OUR YOUNG ROOKIES GET SPEARED AND THE OPPOSING TEAM GET AWAY WITH LITERAL CHEATING FOR ONLY $75 CLUB SEATING"

"ENJOY THE GAME AS YOU SEE MISSED HIP CHECKS GET YOUR ON ICE HEROES EJECTED FROM THE GAME AND WATCH AS PLAYING DEFENSE GETS YOUR TEAM A PENALTY IN SUDDEN DEATH OVERTIME! SEASON TICKETS FOR AS LOW AS $200!"

The league can't take action, as it's all things that are literally happening. All hail smear campaigns and accurate advertising!

I regrettably have to concur.   I thought we were through this.  It's been a long time since I've felt this way.  I used to observe this kind of crap a lot more, but it seemed to recede for a while and I thought we were getting over it.

Now it seems it's back with a vengeance.  Especially in the last month or so of these Flyers games.  

What's changed?  Why are the calls getting more and more ridiculous and frankly, biased?

In last night's Devils game (the Win,not the OT loss) the argument could be made that they were trying to keep the game "under control" and thus calling everything remotely borderline.

But then by GOD, why fabricate circumstances that didn't exist?

How do you give Gudas a game misconduct for illegal contact to the head, when he didn't hit the guy's head!  Call it a charge, call it a rough, call it unsportsmanlike, call it anything, but to call it specifically something that EVERY REPLAY clearly shows it wasn't is just asinine and frankly insulting.

You can still penalize the guy, you can even give him the misconduct, but give it to him for something that makes a modicum of sense for what happened (and the match penalty only makes sense because at this point Gudas can't fart without it being a match penalty).  It was a dumb hit that shouldn't have happened, I have NO idea what the guy was thinking (other than this is what happens to the Flyers all the time--but he'll have to learn that there is a clear double standard in this league when it comes to concussion inducing shots and the flyers are at the short end of that stick).  

I just have no idea what's going on anymore with the penalties that are being called.  They honestly just seem very specifically designed to screw over the Flyers.  

But we're beyond the point where I'm willing to accept the "managing the game" excuse.  If that were the case, there would be more parity in the calls and in the league responses, but there isn't.  The calls overwhelmingly give our opponents the edge. Even when the total PIMs are balanced by the end of the game (and they normally are) the difference between the infractions that earn calls is night and day.  and the calls that aren't made almost always overwhelmingly benefit the other team and what's worst of all, the timing of said calls inherently help the other team almost to a T.  

If Saturday was a fairly called game, that's a regulation win for the Flyers without any shadow of a doubt.  Even just not calling whatever the hell the made up for Jake in OT might have given the Flyers a decent chance.  But no.  a phantom penalty on one of our best OT forwards...  come on?

It's really taking the steam out of the season for me.  Things start to feel doomed and predetermined, so what's the point of watching?  When your team has to be better than the 20 guys on the other side and the 4 guys and Toronto review teams that are supposed to be impartial it really makes the game an absurd and frustrating proposition.  

Just now, intheslot said:

I agree with that ... Its not the calls made its just that they don't seem to make fair calls ..

The calls not made hurt the worst..

And at the end of the game if each team has 12-14 minutes, people seem to think it's an even game.  It's idiotic.  

Still not sure I buy the "anti-Flyer bias" angle.

When I lived in Buffalo, many Sabres fans were absolutely convinced that the league was anti-Buffalo.

I suspect that each fanbase has a predilection to believe that the league/officials are trying to screw them over.

In general, I think it reflects that the level of officiating across the board just sucks.

1 minute ago, Lunatic said:

@KK  I start this with somewhat of a rant, but, you have articulated my sentiments exactly. I just feel sad, and am rapidly loosing interest in the sport I love.

I tend to ramble, but it's just so frustrating, isn't it?

I was watching the game last night on the Devils feed, and Daneyko and MacLean were going off on the Gudas hit and while at first they admitted it wasn't that bad, they quickly got into phrases like "Intent to injure" and "predatory hit" and that's why it was cracked down on so harshly... but the whole time I'm thinking that if you're a FLYER, you see guys taking runs like that at you and your guys ALL NIGHT almost every game and getting away with it completely.  Why on earth WOULDN'T you assume that's just what's legal and the way the refs are calling the game?

How is it the refs and the league and the disciplinary committees don't udnerstand that they've LITERALLY CREATED THIS PROBLEM by creating a world of confusion where Rinaldo gets no suspension for a "predatory, intent to injure" hit on Couturier and Gudas gets 5 games for essentially the same kind of hit.

Frankly, I'm pissed at Hextall and Snider for not being more vocal about it.

I'm not saying Radko shouldn't get a match or a suspension even.  I'm just saying that the league CAN'T BE SURPRISED if he does something he watches opposing players do to his guys and that needs to be taken into account. 

Someone needs to force the league into a more clear parity.  Hearings and explanations need to include explanations of "Well we screwed this up in November, and we're sorry, but that was a mistake, so here's how it's going to be now."

Otherwise, it's not just unfair and frustrating to guys like you and me, but it's confusing as hell to new fans AND TO THE PLAYERS ON THE ICE.  

If Hextall could just be allowed to say, "Radko did this because Rinaldo got away with it. If He shouldn't have done it, then Zac shouldn't have either."  PERIOD. 

But then Hextall and the Flyers get put on the sh!p list in Toronto and every borderline goal goes against us and every borderline suspension is 5 games because let's face it, they're seriously just that petty.  

3 hours ago, intheslot said:

I agree with that ... Its not the calls made its just that they don't seem to make fair calls ..

The calls not made hurt the worst..

Yes like the last Devils game they swallow the whistle during the game and in OT they call that make believe schitt on Jake...down right infuriating!!!

4 hours ago, King Knut said:

Frankly, I'm pissed at Hextall and Snider for not being more vocal about it.

Well, the last time Snider blasted the officiating publicly he got a $50K fine.  That was in 1999.  He isn't going to make the same mistake.  

We don't know what Snider and Hexy are saying to the league, if anything.  

3 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

@radoran Your comment just makes me LOL. The officiating is so appaling that fans have convinced themselves that their team is being conspired against.  Thats some funny **** right there.

we have had what, 4 match/majors penalties given to us in the last month that have resulted in zero supplemental discipline...basically the refs have given us 4 penalties that they believe are suspension worthy, and yet none of them have resulted in any suspensions. 

That's very fishy. Not to mention, they practically ignored McDonagh's blatant attempt to injure (which is a match penalty)

8 hours ago, radoran said:

When I lived in Buffalo, many Sabres fans were absolutely convinced that the league was anti-Buffalo.

I suspect that each fanbase has a predilection to believe that the league/officials are trying to screw them over.

In general, I think it reflects that the level of officiating across the board just sucks.

I'm more upset that Toronto can make a phonecall and yank a goal called good on the ice but they wont call in a revoke a clearly poorly officiated penalty.

What's the point of the human element if you're going to only sometimes fix it's errors?

7 hours ago, NRH said:

I'm more upset that Toronto can make a phonecall and yank a goal called good on the ice but they wont call in a revoke a clearly poorly officiated penalty.

What's the point of the human element if you're going to only sometimes fix it's errors?

I would say there are no rules in place to allow that. But it would makes sense.....then again with the amount of crappy reffing going on they would quite busy...and never get any rest, they would need to designate only on certain penalties....like a match penalty would be a good start....make sure it is right before ejection.

18 hours ago, radoran said:

I could easily see the league being anti -both teams frankly.  Depends who they're playing.  

If course Danny Briere played both places and only publicly commented on how it was definitely different playing in philly. 

The Flyers have to the added baggage of the Bullies history and old time flyers reputation once a guy like Gudas or Simmonds or White comes along. Even though our leading scorer is the closest thing we have to a goon now. 

Again, I'm. It saying Gudas doesn't make some dumb useless dangerous hits worthy of penalties.  I'm not even calling those bogus calls or over kill. I'm saying he's seen his team mates get hit the same way and NOTHING happens and the league posts videos about how it's all absolutely fine.  

The cross checks and slashes the flyers have to endure that don't get called vs what they aren't allowed I get away with is a ruthless disparity. 

Thats Bull.  That's bias.  There's no getting around it. 

As as an aside, I want to add that I almost never see Simmer going after anyone. He almost always seems reluctant, like he's not gonna back down, but really he's rather just play hockey.  Yet in big willing he gets a reputation. 

The flyerd have no one like  McGilrath.  Few teams do anymore. We've even traded away our Rinaldos and Carcillos, etc.  

theyre re headaches for other teams now yet we still have the bad rap. 

I fo wish Gudas could be more judicious.  Just going soft on these hits doesn't mean he's not getting in trouble for them.  

he almost always check cleanly below the chin.  He's not an uncontrolled hitter like Rinaldo.  He's very metered and focused and doesn't leave his skates much. 

Hes just really good at it so they all count and lately Ed been picking rather unsporting moments to take the hit. 

I hope ole the conversation hex and haks had with him included the idea that as a flyer he has to be better than the rest.  You can't get away with playing the way the rest of the league does when you wear orange and Black.  You will sit.  You will be suspended. It's a fact of life. 

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would say there are no rules in place to allow that. But it would makes sense.....then again with the amount of crappy reffing going on they would quite busy...and never get any rest, they would need to designate only on certain penalties....like a match penalty would be a good start....make sure it is right before ejection.

Or at least allow the player to return after a few minutes of review. 

Honestly I don't mind the match on Gudas there.  It was completely unnecessary.  Not all that dangerous because it was so soft a hit (he took great care with it I thought), I just wish it went both ways. 

12 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

we have had what, 4 match/majors penalties given to us in the last month that have resulted in zero supplemental discipline...basically the refs have given us 4 penalties that they believe are suspension worthy, and yet none of them have resulted in any suspensions. 

That's very fishy. Not to mention, they practically ignored McDonagh's blatant attempt to injure (which is a match penalty)

The league isn't biased against any teams. that's the end of it. There are many panthers fans that vocalize similar sentiments such as yours. The officiating just blows.

1 hour ago, JagerMeister said:

The league isn't biased against any teams. that's the end of it. There are many panthers fans that vocalize similar sentiments such as yours. The officiating just blows.

Yup.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Archived