Game#79 Flyers vs Wings

intheslot

I hope this isn't the season.  Thank goodness for Mason. His effort makes the game closer than it really is.  I had my doubts about sweeping the Red Wings...they are being confirmed.  

Howie

Well that sucked. At least the 4th line got a little forecheck going (i really like that line); the rest of them couldn't connect on anything.

After playing so well the past few months I'd hate to see them miss the POs because they stumbled at the end.

4 hours ago, murraycraven said:

Are we seeing this team getting physically tired?

Yes. But also, how bad was the ice in that place? They could not get anything to sit long enough to make a pass or play off of. It's a moot point because the Wings earned this win. Simple as that.

I admit i felt the loss coming. Once i saw Andrew "Retreat" Macdonald in the lineup i knew that would negate Ghost. This team is just running out of gas on limited talent and half a blueline and that is being generous.

I stopped watching after the 1st period. I just had other stuff to do and listened to my gut.......and after waking up this morning i was right.

Now they get the Leafs and have to hope the Wings beat the Bruins. I hope in regulation.....................not good odds...:hocky:

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Now they get the Leafs and have to hope the Wings beat the Bruins.

The Leafs have to lose one more game to earn last place in the league.  -- Let the Flyers be the ones to beat them.  ;)

29 minutes ago, hf101 said:

The Leafs have to lose one more game to earn last place in the league.  -- Let the Flyers be the ones to beat them.  ;)

Don't count your chickens yet!

Last night game against the Wings had to string!

1 minute ago, notfondajane said:

Don't count your chickens yet!

Last night game against the Wings had to string!

The difference in tonight's game is the Leafs want to lose.  

The Wings played in front of their home crowd with a desperation win no different than I expect the Flyers will play tonight.

i didn't watch much, but i saw enough to know it wasn't going to be our night, lot's of pucks hoping over sticks...looks like some of the luck our boys have been having has been used up.

I can't really bring myself to hate on  Jake,rushing back from an injury , walking around in a cast and still trying to play, i won't do that.  no one knows the future, but i don't expect him to dog it for eight years, so try to step back from the ledge on that one fellas. This wasn't a great year for him and he's still among the team leaders in points he still is able to drive play, he ****** cares.  He doesn't just take his stick for a skate. 

The Wings played well in their building got some pretty amazing bounces, that's sports.  there are still some games left to play and if our boys play well, everything else will take care of itself.  I am pleasantly surprised that we have meaningful hockey to watch in April.  This group has exceeded my expectations for this year.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

It didn't look all that great when it was signed...

:hocky:

Well, it wasn't bad when they signed it. He had continually improved his game year to year. But this year has been a disaster. He doesn't look like he had in previous seasons. If he can consistently be a 65-70+ point man while scoring 20+ goals, then I'm ok with it. But 11 goals isn't going to cut it.

Ya but 8 years....I thought we learned our lesson with the long stupid contracts. I'm certainly not on the ledge or anything of the sort with JV but the contract itself was a mistake. Obviously Jake and his agent had some leverage but not 8 years' worth!

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I can't really bring myself to hate on  Jake,rushing back from an injury , walking around in a cast and still trying to play, i won't do that.  no one knows the future, but i don't expect him to dog it for eight years, so try to step back from the ledge on that one fellas. This wasn't a great year for him and he's still among the team leaders in points he still is able to drive play, he ****** cares.  He doesn't just take his stick for a skate. 

Don't hate the player, hate the deal.

I like Jake a lot and always have - even on Columbus.

But it wasn't his foot that was the problem when he went goalless for 16 games to start the season.

That 5-11 start is one BIG reason they are fighting for their playoff lives at the moment.

And the 13 goalless games that followed his first one (6-7) wasn't his foot and didn't help, either.

Just now, RJ8812 said:

Well, it wasn't bad when they signed it. He had continually improved his game year to year. But this year has been a disaster. He doesn't look like he had in previous seasons. If he can consistently be a 65-70+ point man while scoring 20+ goals, then I'm ok with it. But 11 goals isn't going to cut it.

We can agree to differ. IMO, the Flyers rushed into signing a guy for too much and too long (said so at the time). And, again, I like Voracek. But one career year and never having even scored 24 (to say nothing of 25) isn't IMO a $8+M/8Y player.

There are two forwards with $8M+ cap hits who didn't hit 20 goals this season*. Getzlaf and Eric Staal. The next lowest was Giroux with 22 goals.

Goals win hockey games. And having two guys making $8+M who score 20-25 just isn't going to cut it in this league, much less the Metro division. The Islanders have 20 more goals for than the Flyers and are +17. Rangers 232/+21. Pens 240/+43. Caps 244/+58.

Flyers have just three 20+ goal scorers this season and their 203 goals are the lowest among teams in or competing for the playoffs. Their -8 differential is also worst among playoff teams not named "Detroit" (-9, 207 goals). Anaheim has just 210 goals for, but is +23. Minnesota, who just backed into the playoffs, has 215 and is +11. Every other playoff team has 220+.

In 09-10 ("anything can happen in the playoffs") the Flyers had 236 goals and were +11. There is only one other playoff team since then with less than 210 goals - Minnesota in 13-14.

They need more from Jake and IMO more than 25 goals on a consistent basis for that deal to make any sense at all.

* I am aware that Voracek's $8+M contract starts next season.

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

Don't hate the player, hate the deal.

I like Jake a lot and always have - even on Columbus.

But it wasn't his foot that was the problem when he went goalless for 16 games to start the season.

i know, eight years is a long ass time and I know that you like Jake.

I also know i'm not going to fret over this contract because I don't know what is going to happen, it could be he winds up being a bargain, this could be his worst year, we'll all look back on it and be like wow what happened in 15/16... or he could load up on mom's pirogies and his micro brews and turn full Kessel on us... i just don't know .  

given his track record, i don't think the pirogies thing happens again though i think that was "lesson learned".  he cares, he wants to win, i never hear/read anything about him plowing through coed's in center city... i think he and Giroux are truly the "least " of the teams issues. 

@mojo1917

From you post to God's ears, eh?

I think we all expect more from the VeeGees:56cd9dc70e2e2_smallTM: and we all hope that we will get it.

I don't at all say that he "can't" do it or "won't" do it. I'm just saying he has to do it to be worth the commitment the team made.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind him "plowing through coeds" if he was putting up Jeff Crater numbers :ToastingSmiley:

Archived