5 Thoughts Going Into the Offseason

AJgoal

3 young BIG LWs i would like the Flyers to look into landing...of course the prices changes everything...but it will cost to land them.....

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=99036

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=205155

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=86313

Would be more interested in these guys than some old forward...

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

3 young BIG LWs i would like the Flyers to look into landing...of course the prices changes everything...but it will cost to land them.....

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=99036

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=205155

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=86313

Would be more interested in these guys than some old forward...

I just can't imagine one of those teams giving up on those kids so early. 

They would ask for way more then they are worth, and rightfully so.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:53 PM, OccamsRazor said:

some good news.......

Hey's thoughts......

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/video/hextall-on-roster-changes/t-277437426/c-43754103

And with Chicago's loss and San Jose, Tampa, Nashville, and NYI advancing, the Flyers will pick 17th, then 17th (#47) and 22nd (#52) in the second round (I think my math is right here).

16 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Backes is 31 and turned down 3 years at $5.5. The Flyers are building for the future. Do we really want 34-35 year old Backes (who plays physical and likely breaks down) when our team is hopefully nearer to contention? 

I'd prefer Schenn, all day everyday. Unless I'm going for it next year. We're not.

Wisdom. 

Knock it off 

10 hours ago, AJgoal said:

And with Chicago's loss and San Jose, Tampa, Nashville, and NYI advancing, the Flyers will pick 17th, then 17th (#47) and 22nd (#52) in the second round (I think my math is right here).

I'm actually excited about the draft. How weird is that? 

42 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm actually excited about the draft. How weird is that? 

I prefer watching a team being built over bought. I think it's cool to see them gradually get better and grow together.

Lots of good stuff here. It's strange to think "the big controversy" might be the composition of our fourth line, where Hak may keep something together because the sum appears greater than the parts.  

I guess there could be some zinger/bolt-from-the view kind of stuff.  Would Hexy trade Neuvy? Does Schenn get traded?  I don't see a splashy free agent signing.  

I haven't seen or read much of the LVH forward corps.  Is Hexy going to be patient with their development?  Will any of them amount to much?  On face--forward is "where the action" is going to be with the roster in terms of rejiggering.  The D-corps is rounding out.  

Another thing that comes to mind--expansion.  I have no idea when that starts but it appears Vegas and Quebec are distinct possibilities. Could we lose a goalie in that process?

Howie

35 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Another thing that comes to mind--expansion.  I have no idea when that starts but it appears Vegas and Quebec are distinct possibilities. Could we lose a goalie in that process?

Howie

It's a definite possibility, Howie. Teams will only be able to protect one, Lyons may fall under the exemption for players with less than two pro years, but Stolarz, Neuvirth, and Mason won't. It will be interesting to see which way the Flyers go. When you figure six teams will lose tenders, that's a high probability of losing one.

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

It's a definite possibility, Howie. Teams will only be able to protect one, Lyons may fall under the exemption for players with less than two pro years, but Stolarz, Neuvirth, and Mason won't. It will be interesting to see which way the Flyers go. When you figure six teams will lose tenders, that's a high probability of losing one.

AJ:  Thanks for confirming my suspicion.  I have to do my homework on the timing if this goes through.  

Howie

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Well, it really all depends on when the expansion draft is. Plus, teams can make deals with expansion teams in order to not take certain players that are left unprotected 

"We need some upgrade up front,” the Flyers’ general manager said last week. “We need some goal scoring, playmaking — [that] would be our number one need."

"The best team doesn't always win a series,” he said. “If you look at the series, you look at the special teams, and a few things that could have happened there, we could have won that series. Were we the better team? I think you can certainly argue that Washington was the best team in the league, but you can still beat the best team in the league. It's happened in sports over and over."

“We need to get better,” Hextall said. “We made the playoffs and lost in the first round. We're not going to sit around all summer here and rest on making the playoffs and losing to Washington in six games. So yeah, we need to get better. That's my job.”

“I felt like the difference in the series at the end of the day was our opponent made more plays than we did,” Hakstol said. “Both teams played extremely hard, both teams played a physical series and a very competitive series, both teams defended hard. They made more plays than we did. We have to address that as a group and it’s something we have to build in and do a better job of beginning on Day 1 of training camp next year.”

“When you have a tough time, it’s important to not just brush it off, it’s important to look at it and kind of study what you did and how can you get better,” Giroux said last week. “You just learn from it. We fought really hard in the series to come back in Game 6. We need to learn that’s how we’ve got to play. Obviously the situation that we’re in right now, it’s a little tough. We’d love to be still playing but we just need to learn from this.”

"We'll try everything,” he said. “First of all, the first thing we have to look at is where we can get better from within. Whether people improve in fitness levels, players on the way up, those are ways we can get better. Then we'll certainly look at the free-agent market and if something makes sense, we'll look at the trade market and if something makes sense, we'll do it.

“But I can't seem to find right now what's going to come about because I truly don't know who's available July 1."

He did have a message, a challenge of sorts, for the team already intact.

"You know what, I think it should be open competition every year,” Hextall said.

“Obviously you have your top players, but there should be competition at the goalie position, on D and up front. I think it will be a very competitive camp next year. I don't know exactly who we'll have in place, but obviously a lot of the guys that are here now will be back.

Sounds good. Baby steps.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/ron-hextall-flyers-no-1-need-goal-scoring-playmaking?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

In regards to Schenn vs Gudas.

The total cost of contracts are at a different metric. You want to lock up long term a player of value at a great price and still be in the green for several years even if there is a degression of value, because total cost would be of better value than short term with a possible increase of cost per year. Which would cost more in the long run.

In regards to Schenn, his value is higher so there is more risk to buy high and lose out long term if value depreciates. We don't want Schenn to end up costing us more for a longer term contract. 

Bottom line Gudas poses less risk at a long term value than Schenn. Gudas cap hit will be higher than his previous year, but not at a price if he was to be tendered an offer comparing to the open market he would get next year as an UFA 3 - 5+ mil a year.

We dont want to panic with Schenn like we did with JVR after we signed him and he didn't improve the following year.

Schenn isn't JVR in that Schenn likes to hit and change the game by being physical and  he can score as well.

Had we inserted Rinaldo into the lineup in the Washington series, I believe we would of gone to game 7 and possibly won it.

I dont mind us playing a skilled game but if the other team is challenging you physically, you step it up and slam their ass on the floor, we really didn't have that in this series and we played a little scared, except for Gudas, we didnt have a player that caused the other team to effect their physical/mental game. Morin might change that.

But in the playoffs you need to be able to take care of business when it comes up.

1 hour ago, MaineFlyFan said:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20160504_Young_Provorov_plans_to_play_for_Flyers_next_season.html

Article on Provorov and his bid to make the Flyers next season.......I know it's Juniors but his numbers are damn impressive.....

Unless they make some crazy addition over the summer to the current blueline he will come in and easily be the 2nd or 3rd best Dman on the team.

1 hour ago, MaineFlyFan said:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20160504_Young_Provorov_plans_to_play_for_Flyers_next_season.html

Article on Provorov and his bid to make the Flyers next season.......I know it's Juniors but his numbers are damn impressive.....

The best thing is, his hockey smarts are even better than his numbers. 

Don't shoot the messenger.....

Report links team to Kevin Shattenkirk, Loui Eriksson

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/5/4/11580250/flyers-rumors-kevin-shattenkirk-loui-eriksson

515281600.0.jpg

The Flyers would like Kevin Shattenkirk for their back-end (trade), but their big hole is a scoring left-winger, so expect them to investigate Bruins’ UFA Loui Eriksson.

Mind you it is coming from Jim Matheson so take it for what it's worth.

Thoughts complaints whines welcome.......................

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Don't shoot the messenger.....

Report links team to Kevin Shattenkirk, Loui Eriksson

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/5/4/11580250/flyers-rumors-kevin-shattenkirk-loui-eriksson

515281600.0.jpg

The Flyers would like Kevin Shattenkirk for their back-end (trade), but their big hole is a scoring left-winger, so expect them to investigate Bruins’ UFA Loui Eriksson.

Mind you it is coming from Jim Matheson so take it for what it's worth.

Thoughts complaints whines welcome.......................

im on board with it, they need to do something now, i dont think they need shattenkirk but hextall should get rid of streit and schultz, bring in the young guys on d and spend the money on a first line player because giroux and voraeck arent getting any younger, hextall has to make a move now while these guys are in their prime or else, there's no point in keeping giroux and voraeck because by the time they draft a left wing sniper, they have to wait another 3 years for that guy to develop and giroux and voraeck maybe be done.

hexy has to do something now.

18 minutes ago, briere48 said:

im on board with it, they need to do something now, i dont think they need shattenkirk but hextall should get rid of streit and schultz, bring in the young guys on d and spend the money on a first line player because giroux and voraeck arent getting any younger, hextall has to make a move now while these guys are in their prime or else, there's no point in keeping giroux and voraeck because by the time they draft a left wing sniper, they have to wait another 3 years for that guy to develop and giroux and voraeck maybe be done.

hexy has to do something now.

I would do it for picks....i wouldn't want to do it for players....or it would be i would do it for players but the Blues wouldn't want the players i would be willing to move. This is just a bored writer just dreaming up stuff to talk about and he is tired of talking about the Oilers...

Hmm... Ghost outscored Shattenkirk in fewer games. And what's with Shattenkirk being a team-worst -14?? Ouch! Parayko was +28, Pietrangelo was +10.

I don't think Shattenkirk is a need - at all. Especially if it costs us any kind of scoring up front, where we are already weak. 

Now, the one scenario I would consider is Shattenkirk for Voracek. Haha, I know that goes almost directly against what I just said. Shats will get a $7M-ish contract next year, effectively replacing Voracek's hit but stabilising defense for six years and he would be a great mentor to the young kids. 

But again, we create a hole. But we also get out of a potentially big (contract) hole with Voracek. 

If I'm bringing in a veteran defenceman, it's going to be someone whose good defensively. We've got Ghost and Del Zotto presently (and Streit for one more year). Probably Provorov next year. Sanheim the next. That's a truckload of offence, with Provorov the only one who really takes his own end seriously...no offence to the other guys. Pass on Shattenkirk...especially for Simmonds or Schenn.

As for Ericksson, I like him as a player. I'd also like someone slightly younger, whose best days wouldn't be behind him in 2 or 3 years when we should have a fairly solid D. I figure he'll be looking for his last big payday this contract...and likely some term on it. Sounds like a Homer move. It would all depend on the contract. As a player he's fine with me.

Archived