NHL Playoffs: Western Conference Finals: Central (#2) St. Louis Blues vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks

pilldoc

NHL Playoffs: Western Conference Finals: Central (#2) St. Louis Blues vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks  

15 members have voted

1. 1. NHL Playoffs: Western Conference Finals: Central (#2) St. Louis Blues vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks

• Blues in 4 (sweep)
    • Blues in 5
    • Blues in 6
    • Blues in 7
    • Sharks in 4 (sweep)
    • Sharks in 5
    • Sharks in 6
    • Sharks in 7

SJ v StL.jpg

After years of big hype during the season followed by disappointing results in the playoffs, the Sharks are showing they are serious contenders this time.  Sharks make it the Western Conference Finals for the 1st time since the 2010-11 season where they lost to the Canucks 4 games to 1.

This should be a great series. 

All discussion regarding this season goes here.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blues in 6. They bested the Hawks at their own game, then they stood up to the firepower in Dallas and dispatched them. I simply think that the Blues are the better team.

Funny tho, the two biggest underachievers over the past decade are in the conference finals.

I have gone back and forth on this. Don't be surprised if 4 or 5 games go into OT. Even though St. Louis might have a psychological edge because they dethroned Chicago, I think San Jose matches up with them very well. That being said, it is a pretty even matchup. They have played tremendously and also dispatched their playoff demons in beating the Kings rather quickly. Their offense is really clicking as it should, but the biggest differences in them from past years is the physical and mental toughness that they've shown. Also, IMO Martin Jones has been the best goalie in the playoffs thus far. He's 6-2 with a 2.36 GAA with a .918 save percentage.

As much as the Blues can be dominant as they showed in Game 7 in Dallas, they also can go into defensive shells from time to time because of Hitchcock's style of coaching. That is a dangerous tendency at this stage of the playoffs. I also don't trust Brian Elliott as much as some people do. I pick the Sharks to win the West in 6 games because they are playing slightly better. Also, if it goes back to St. Louis for Game 7, the Sharks aren't likely to win there. 

Honestly, I'm surprised that neither of these teams has choked away a series yet. San Jose in 7, but just because the Blues have more experience.

9 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Honestly, I'm surprised that neither of these teams has choked away a series yet. San Jose in 7, but just because the Blues have more experience.

So, you're saying experience doesn't matter? Or do you mean experience in choking?

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

So, you're saying experience doesn't matter?

I think the Blues' greater experience with losing series they should win will prevail here.

3 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I have gone back and forth on this. Don't be surprised if 4 or 5 games go into OT. Even though St. Louis might have a psychological edge because they dethroned Chicago, I think San Jose matches up with them very well. That being said, it is a pretty even matchup. They have played tremendously and also dispatched their playoff demons in beating the Kings rather quickly. Their offense is really clicking as it should, but the biggest differences in them from past years is the physical and mental toughness that they've shown. Also, IMO Martin Jones has been the best goalie in the playoffs thus far. He's 6-2 with a 2.36 GAA with a .918 save percentage.

As much as the Blues can be dominant as they showed in Game 7 in Dallas, they also can go into defensive shells from time to time because of Hitchcock's style of coaching. That is a dangerous tendency at this stage of the playoffs. I also don't trust Brian Elliott as much as some people do. I pick the Sharks to win the West in 6 games because they are playing slightly better. Also, if it goes back to St. Louis for Game 7, the Sharks aren't likely to win there. 

I am pretty sure the sharks knocking  the Kings monkey off their backs is equal to the blues knocking the Hawks monkey like you said.

Sharks are also the best road team in the NHL, although they have done pretty good at home so far this playoff run.

Blues knocking off the Blackhawks was pretty impressive.

Though there were several points in various games where, a play here, a play there, and it is Chicago coming away with the win instead.

Still though, beating the Champs is beating the Champs...no taking that away from St. Louis.

Blues beating the Stars? Honestly, despite Dallas' offense, I simply was not that impressed with that. Again, not to take away from what St.L did there, but the Stars should have been beaten by the MINNESOTA WILD!

And yes, Wild fans are embarrassed by this as they should be....

Sharks going through a rough, championship caliber LA team and a very game (and a team I thought could contend for the Cup, despite their WC status) Nashville Predators team....well, I find those accomplishments a bit more impressive.

This series is going to come down to styles.

Both teams like to play a physical game and rely on great goaltending to keep them in when they aren't clicking offensively.

However, that's where the similarities end.

If the Blues can keep things in a structured manner, mostly tight checking, with a hint of speed bursts, they take this series.

However, the Sharks will look to open things up, using their formidable combination of size and speed, to overwhelm Blues defenders....oh yea, and, when they set themselves to it, the Sharks can play a checking game as well.

Since I am not fully convinced the St. Louis Blues can consistently handle very fast teams, I am going to give the edge to the Sharks here....and they get this done in 6.

Blues taking care of Chicago, yea, that qualifies them as taking care of a fast team, as they did with Dallas....but still, I feel it could have just as easily been the Hawks taking that series from the Blues and Dallas, well, without proper defense and a goaltender to match, a fast offense was simply not enough to get them a Western Finals appearance, much less a Cup.

San Jose will present all sorts of problems down low for the Blues. St. Louis will try to counter that by playing large and tough...but the Sharks have size that can match them, plus the speed of a team that is smaller.

Sharks need to stay focused, don't get frustrated by the Blues' lane clogging strategies, and don't get too wrapped up in extra curriculars (though by all means, the Sharks shouldn't let the Blues push them around), and unleash the power of their blue line activated on offense.

As big as the Sharks can play, it is their continuous movement of not only the puck, but bodies as well, that kept teams like the Kings and the Predators from being able to zero in on any one player for very long. They can employ the same strategy (while assigning a rugged, mobile line to cover Tarasenko and his mates) against the Blues with success.

If the Blues DO pull this off and win, then I will finally admit they are good enough to win the Cup, although I won't be handing it to them because the Eastern Champion should NOT be overlooked, regardless of whether it is Tampa Bay or Pittsburgh.

But really, I think THIS is the year the Sharks finally make the Finals and with a real shot at winning the big prize.

44 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I love the Blues as I have all along.  And they open at home which of course is maybe not to their advantage.  They are road warriors.  They play great on the road.  I will be happy with a split in St Louis and then they go into the tank and wipe them off the ice.  They can come back home with a shark tooth necklace and a 3-1 lead.  St Louis might be the best road team in hockey along with the Blackhawks and Kings.  I do believe they will play better at home in this series.  Teresenko  and Backes are the two difference makers here.  And Brower.  Steen has to be mentioned also.  Those four guy s are just great.  San Jose has nothing to compare with them.  Goaltending is about even.  Blues win and don't forget the choke reputation lays with San Jose far more than St Louis

Should be a good series. I think the blues are a better team than the preds. While I was correct in my guesses that the preds eat the ducks in 7 and lost to the sharks in 7, for whatever reason, my gut is saying Sharks in in 6 this time. Maybe it is the way Deboer's system works and worked vs the blues in the regular season, but I am much more confident than I was when TMac was coaching vs Hitchcock.

Sharks are a bit more a road warriors team. Best in the NHL on the road this year. Although playing strong at home this playoffs too.

The difference makers for the Sharks thus far have been Couture, Pavelski, Thornton, Vlasic and Burns. Vlasic quietly having a strong offensive season while still the best defensive Dman in the NHL. Burns has improved defensively while being a juggernaut offensively.

Since our top 2 pairings of Martin/Burns and Vlasic/Braun are pretty solid, The blues will try to exploit the bottom pairing of Dillon/Polak, which is probably the best bottom pairing we have ever had.

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Lets not forget who the Blues beat.    And Teresenko is a beast

Or who the Sharks beat. LA is the other superpower multi cup winner of the last 4 years and the Sharks smashed them in 5.

Neither the kings nor Chicago were quite the teams they were in years past. Both suffered from defensive depth issues despite finishing with 102 and 103 points. Their superstars came through for the most part, but their depth has suffered. Both teams basically played with 3 good defensemen and then were undressed with their other 3. Still, Kane is a finalist for the Hart and most think he is a favorite for it, while Panarin might win rookie of the year. Quick is a finalist for the vezina and Doughty a finalist and favorite for the Norris.

In any case both exorcised demons of past playoffs and defeated the superpowers.

Not terribly focused on who they both just beat.

I considered the Preds stronger than the ducks and they proved it true, but even with their record setting game 7 winning coach, fell to the sharks in 7. The Stars I thought would be dispatched by the blues in 6. Stars goalies were laughable and their small defensemen were pushed around. Playing run and gun against the blues with Niemi/Lehtonen in net was destined to fail, although they did better than I thought they would. I picked the Wild to beat them lol.

Jones did last night what Niemi could not do in 40 playoff games over 5 years with the sharks. Posted a shutout in the playoffs. In a game 7 to boot!

In any case, should be a great series.

A lot of blues fans are a bit worried Hitchcock might try to take the aggressive edge off their game a bit since the Sharks are the best PP team in the NHL, clicking at over 30% this playoff so far. The Blues edge will be that 3rd line. Its clicking nicely.

54 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I hate Pittsburgh

So do I...but you can't deny that they are one of "THE" hottest teams right now. The are playing extremely well and clicking on all cylinders. Tampa has also stepped up their game with Stamkos being out.  All I'm saying is don't discount the Pens because of your blind hatred for them.  That is all...Carry on....

6 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well yes beating the Kings is a big deal.  Of course they know them quite well.  I saw the Sharks live in Buffalo.  A 2-1 OT winner by Marleau.  Tampa just went up 3-0 on Pittsburgh as I type so my prediction and bet their tonight are a success.  I hate Pittsburgh

I don't hate the pens. I don't like them either. Of all Eastern teams, I usually cheer for the bolts more than the others tho so I am pulling for them too. At least till they face the Sharks if it happens.

Wondering how Tampa playing that well without Stamkos will affect contract negotiations. Toronto winning the draft lottery changes the landscape and the idea of them throwing a max contract at Stamkos becomes less likely.

16 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I am wondering if my Sabres are considering making a play for Stamos?  Doubt it but someone is going to  Tampa plays perhaps the best defensive game in the NHL.  But I do not think they can beat a team like the Blues on the offense they have.  Sorry, but I love the Blues to win  it now more than ever.  Teresenko is the best player in the game right now

Sharks vs Blues is the real finals of this playoff as far as I am concerned

On 5/15/2016 at 10:23 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

No Rick will not say the same thing.  The Sharks will NEVER  see a game 7 or the finals this year.    St Louis not only deserves to win, they are going to win.  The Blues have it all.  Including Steve Ott who will take care of anyone that tries to be a tough guy.   Included that bearded hippy looking freak show they have moved from D or visa versa.  I cannot keep track of their moves.  But they best keep track of one Teresenko.  The kind of guy that can pick a team up all by himself and carry them to the promised. land.  And do not sell David Backes short either folks

Methinks thou dost protest too much.......(see below)

that bearded hippy looking freak show they have moved from D or visa versa

hmmm that bearded hippy freak show scored 2 PP goals...

7:04
san.png&h=25&w=25&transparent=true
Brent Burns (5) (Power Play)
Assists: Joe Pavelski, Logan Couture
2 0
11:58
san.png&h=25&w=25&transparent=true
Brent Burns (6) (Power Play)
Assists: Patrick Marleau, Logan Couture
3 0

Oh and your boys.... (Backes, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Fabbri, Lehtera) a combined 0 G, 0 A, and a  ( - 5).  Not gonna win many games with that stat line...

Steve Ott who will take care of anyone that tries to be a tough guy.

Again I digress .... Ott played exactly  5 minutes of ice time....hard to make a difference when you don't see the ice..... matter of fact I say in game #2 he was as invisible as a ghost... (casper says hi!)

Player

G

A

+/-

SOG

PIM

HT

TK

GV

SHF

TOT

PP

SH

EV

FW

FL

%

S. Ott C

5:07

0:00

0:00

5:07

Now granted the series is even at 1 game a piece but I expect this series to go 7 games.

For now I leave you this .. you really must stop........

Martin Jones baby!

3 shutouts in the last 4 games, including a game 7 when the chips were all in the middle!

I can never repeat enough that I hated Niemi from the first time he played for us, and that he never stole a playoff game for us. 40 playoff games in 5 years and 0 shutouts. I am beyond happy with Jones.

Sharks also just tied the previous best playoff run with 2 wins in the CF, the furthest they have ever gone. It is time! DO it baby!

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Martin Jones baby!

3 shutouts in the last 4 games, including a game 7 when the chips were all in the middle!

I can never repeat enough that I hated Niemi from the first time he played for us, and that he never stole a playoff game for us. 40 playoff games in 5 years and 0 shutouts. I am beyond happy with Jones.

Sharks also just tied the previous best playoff run with 2 wins in the CF, the furthest they have ever gone. It is time! DO it baby!

Buffalo Rick says it's due to the size of his pads.....speaking of which i haven't seen him for a while...i guess the "best team in hockey" getting smoked 7-0 last 2 games will do that.

I'm puling for the Sharks all the way.

I'll explain why later.

Archived