Hexy being Hexy

Gotta love reading an article like this!!!  Hard to believe the defensive prospects the Flyers have acquired in a relatively short time. 

Phil Myers probably would have been a first-round pick in next month's NHL draft if the Flyers didn't have the foresight to sign the 6-foot-5, 208-pound free agent during last year's training camp.

Since then, the junior-level defenseman has blossomed faster than anyone could have expected, strengthening the Flyers' already-deep group of up-and-coming blue liners.

"There's no question" he would have been a first-round selection if he was in this year's draft, said Craig Button, the highly respected draft guru for TSN in Canada. "What a steal by the Flyers."

Myers, 19, had a "series of nagging injuries last year and it really prevented him from showing what that promise was," Button said in a phone interview Thursday.

As a result, he was bypassed in last year's draft. Myers went to Calgary's developmental camp last summer, but the Flames did not sign him. The Flyers swooped in, inviting him to training camp last September and, after an impressive showing, signing the free agent to a three-year, $1.9 million entry-level contract.

"It gave me a lot of confidence," Myers, who is getting ready to play in the Memorial Cup for the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies, said of the Flyers' commitment.

"He came in and he earned it," Flyers coach Dave Hakstol said at the time. "That's the old-fashioned way."

Playing for the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League champion Huskies, Myers had 17 goals, 45 points and a plus-52 rating this season. That's an eye-opening improvement from his previous season: two goals, eight points, and a minus-14 rating.

"He took the motivation of not getting drafted and turned it into something," said Doug Shepherd, Myers' agent.

Button went to five of Myers' early-season games this season.

"You know when you see something and you just go, 'Whoa,' " Button said. "You watched him and [his play] just jumped up and grabbed you by the scruff of the neck and said, 'You want to see what I'm about. This is what I'm about.' "

Button said the righthanded-shooting Myers reminds him of Winnipeg's Tyler Myers (no relation), a former 12th overall draft pick, and ex-Flyer Kjell Samuelsson.

"I love the range of his game - offensively, defensively, physically. He's smart. . . . He's a rangy player, he can handle the puck, he can make plays, he can shoot the puck," Button said.

Button said the 6-6 Samuelsson, now a member of the Flyers' player-development staff, had a solid 14-year career because he was long and rangy.

"When you got into Kjell Samuelssons's space, it was like you got into a spider web," Button said. "There was no way to get out of it. Phil Myers has some of that capability with his range."

Myers, a puck mover and a strong defender, and the Flyers' best defensive prospect - Ivan Provorov of WHL champion Brandon - will face each other Saturday in the round-robin Memorial Cup, which brings together four outstanding junior teams in Red Deer, Alberta.

"We've been striving for this all year," Myers said in a phone conversation Wednesday night, "and to finally have all our work pay off, it feels great. It was a great team effort and everybody has been on the same page." Myers said training camp sped up his development.

"I gained a lot of experience going there," he said. "I went on the ice with all the NHL guys, and you see you're not that far off. It just gave me a lot of confidence, and I also had a big summer in the gym. I got a lot stronger and more mobile. And I came into this year knowing I could dominate in this league."

After going undrafted last June, Myers had offers to go to six NHL camps. He chose the Flyers, he said, "because they were the ones showing the most interest."

At camp, he said, he took away things he carried into this season.

"I learned how preparation was important," he said. "I learned how important sleep is, and how important your diet is - and what goes into your body to give you more energy for a game."

In midseason, Button ranked Myers 38th among the top 50 NHL-affiliated prospects. He was ahead of players who had been selected in the first and second rounds of recent drafts.

Flyers prospects Provorov (fourth), defenseman Travis Sanheim (23rd), and right winger Travis Konecny (29th) also made the list.

Myers said part of the reason for his dominating season was because he received more playing time and was put on the power play.

"Obviously, confidence was a big factor, but I also got a lot more ice time this year and gaining the coach's trust was a big factor, too," he said.

Myers and his teammates are looking forward to facing Brandon and the highly touted Provorov on Saturday.

"It's pretty exciting, but the main task is to beat them," he said. "I'm not going there to play against Ivan."

Because of his age, Myers will have to play another junior season and won't be eligible to join the AHL's Lehigh Valley Phantoms until 2017-18. He said it would be "ideal" if he reached the NHL in 2018-19.

By that time, the Flyers' blue line could include home-grown defenders Shayne Gostisbehere, Provorov, Sanheim, Sam Morin and perhaps Robert Hagg - a young and gifted defensive corps that figures to be the team's identity for many years to come.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20160520_Flyers_prospect_Phil_Myers_dominating_in_junior_ranks.html#tzqD6VdP7MfTrY0C.99

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read the article on Philly.com.  Yes it was a great read.  I think Hexy has done a fabulous job with the defense.  Now hi needs to get some more highly skilled players on offense.

32 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Just read the article on Philly.com.  Yes it was a great read.  I think Hexy has done a fabulous job with the defense.  Now hi needs to get some more highly skilled players on offense.

Agreed. I have a feeling this year is going to be a ton of forwards.  The D pipeline is solid for now. 

Size, speed, skill--go get 'em!!

@DaGreatGazoo

The Flyers have the 18th, 48th, 52nd, 78th and 81st picks in the first three rounds. I would love for them to get in the top five, but that may take a lot. Much more than Hextall is willing to gamble. 

Maybe the 18th, 48th and Hagg can get them into the 5th spot, but then again, I've been drinking already, so maybe I am way off. 

1 minute ago, Bertmega said:

@DaGreatGazoo

The Flyers have the 18th, 48th, 52nd, 78th and 81st picks in the first three rounds. I would love for them to get in the top five, but that may take a lot. Much more than Hextall is willing to gamble. 

Maybe the 18th, 48th and Hagg can get them into the 5th spot, but then again, I've been drinking already, so maybe I am way off. 

Hagg has little to no value right now. We are best to give him another season to hope that last year was just a sophomore slump 

Just now, RJ8812 said:

Doubtful. Hagg has little no no value right now. We are best to give him another season to hope that last year was just a sophomore slump 

That's kind of what I figured. I remember when Hagg was rated much higher, but from the limited exposure that I saw last year he blows a lot of assignments. 

Hagg has all the physical skills to be a good NHL defenceman....for whatever reason, his head isn't along for the ride. If he can do something about that he would be a good pick. He still has value...maybe a 3rd rounder...though I'd prefer to hang on to him. With all those prospects back there we don't need to rush anyone.

Something else to gloat over Hextall about is..not only is he the first gm......ever...to take the blueline seriously draftwise, but he's also built a fast puck handling powerhouse back there. Philly is going to be able to roll pairing after pairing of mobile guys who can carry or dish off the puck. 

Have we ever had more than one?

The phrase "too much of a good thing" comes to mind.  Surely with a glut of up and coming defensemen and only a few talented forwards in the pipeline, someone we all love and are looking forward to seeing playing with the big boys is going to me moved.  Who do you guys think is "untouchable" and who is most likely to be dealt, either from a value standpoint or just as the odd man out?  Just prospects, we all know who on the current D needs to go.

2 minutes ago, TedZep said:

Who do you guys think is "untouchable"

Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, Ghost

8 minutes ago, TedZep said:

who is most likely to be dealt, either from a value standpoint or just as the odd man out?

Alt, Haag, Meyers (although I would love to see how this kid develops)

5 minutes ago, TedZep said:

The phrase "too much of a good thing" comes to mind.  Surely with a glut of up and coming defensemen and only a few talented forwards in the pipeline, someone we all love and are looking forward to seeing playing with the big boys is going to me moved.  Who do you guys think is "untouchable" and who is most likely to be dealt, either from a value standpoint or just as the odd man out?  Just prospects, we all know who on the current D needs to go.

I'd move anyone not named Ghost from our present roster before I'd deal any of Provorov/Sanheim/Myers/Morin. Del Zotto is the only other guy I'd want going forward, and I'd trade him. Really good defensive prospects are a lot harder to come by then forwards...and usually take longer to develop. As long as Hextall keeps stockpiling picks, he should be able to come up with some good forwards without dealing any of those young defencemen. See Konecny,Travis. 

1 hour ago, TedZep said:

I would be willing to move Morin and Sanheim in the right deal.  Provorov is a better version of Sanheim and Myers looks like he could do what Morin was drafted to do.  Plus Morin will have to be protected in the expansion draft.

Provorov is not to be moved.

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Something else to gloat over Hextall about is..not only is he the first gm......ever...to take the blueline seriously draftwise, but he's also built a fast puck handling powerhouse back there. Philly is going to be able to roll pairing after pairing of mobile guys who can carry or dish off the puck. 

Well all the Flyer fans want to blow this up before we have even saw this blueline reach it's potential even....it's just crazy how some of these fans never learn...this rebuild the blueline project took place at the 2012 draft....yet only one has arrived yet so why would we(not you or i ) blow it up already.

7 hours ago, TedZep said:

Not really only one of these guys has even arrived and that is Ghost who has been in the NHL one year. Defensemen take longer to develop so why move them before you even know what you have. I mean you basically have your blueline for the next 10 years plus in the system all you have to do is be patient and go draft the froward crop to go with them. It is easier for the Flyers to draft forwards and they need less development time. So just stay the course. And remove as much dead weight on the current roster as possible so they are ready to go in a year or two.

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd move anyone not named Ghost from our present roster before I'd deal any of Provorov/Sanheim/Myers/Morin. Del Zotto is the only other guy I'd want going forward, and I'd trade him. Really good defensive prospects are a lot harder to come by then forwards...and usually take longer to develop. As long as Hextall keeps stockpiling picks, he should be able to come up with some good forwards without dealing any of those young defencemen. See Konecny,Travis. 

Great post i wish i would have finished read through the post before posting i could of just saved time and said "yeah what FC said" and been done........i blame it on  my ADD.

On May 20, 2016 at 11:02 AM, flyercanuck said:

The 80'd teams had two or three decent pairings with the likes of Howe, Marsh, McCrimmon, etc... But none of them had as much potential as puck movers as these kids. 

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

The 80'd teams had two or three decent pairings with the likes of Howe, Marsh, McCrimmon, etc... But none of them had as much potential as puck movers as these kids. 

Well, other than Howe. Desjardins was good too. But we've never had this many.

Hexy won't move draft picks or players to move up in the draft.

He's got nothing to trade on the team right now but over paid under sized

wingers playing center.

Flyers must get bigger at center.

Nobody would take Jake's deal next year so its just sit wait for now.

Does Laughton, Del Zotto and #17 get you the #4 pick from Edmonton?   I don't think the center does it.   Does two defensemen (Del Zotto and Manning or Gudas) and the #17 do it?

I like both Gudas and MDZ, so this isn't about just shipping them out (I would love to throw Streit in there instead of one of them, but this deal is already stretching reality and I don't think the old guy gets it done).   But pretending Edmonton would do this, do you do it for Tkachuk?  

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Does Laughton, Del Zotto and #17 get you the #4 pick from Edmonton?   I don't think the center does it.   Does two defensemen (Del Zotto and Manning or Gudas) and the #17 do it?

I like both Gudas and MDZ, so this isn't about just shipping them out (I would love to throw Streit in there instead of one of them, but this deal is already stretching reality and I don't think the old guy gets it done).   But pretending Edmonton would do this, do you do it for Tkachuk?  

No

17 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Laughton MDZ and our pick for 4th overall? Done. But not for Tkachuk...for Dubois. Or Tkachuk. or Puljujarvi. Or Nylander.

I think we pick 18th though.

Archived