Hexy being Hexy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Laughton MDZ and our pick for 4th overall? Done. But not for Tkachuk...for Dubois. Or Tkachuk. or Puljujarvi. Or Nylander.

I think we pick 18th though.

Yeah, I don't see us moving. But I'm bored, so... 

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Laughton MDZ and our pick for 4th overall?

I'm all over this deal bees to honey..though I highly doubt Edm goes for it at all...however stupid things happen come draft time....see Bruins, Boston, Sweeney, Don.

On 5/22/2016 at 3:00 PM, ruxpin said:

Does Laughton, Del Zotto and #17 get you the #4 pick from Edmonton?   I don't think the center does it.   Does two defensemen (Del Zotto and Manning or Gudas) and the #17 do it?

I like both Gudas and MDZ, so this isn't about just shipping them out (I would love to throw Streit in there instead of one of them, but this deal is already stretching reality and I don't think the old guy gets it done).   But pretending Edmonton would do this, do you do it for Tkachuk?  

Done.  Do it and don't look back.

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Speaking of Hexy what a steal.....

https://streamable.com/ddz2

myersgoalmemcup.gif

I just watched the video...seriously....he was skating like that! Like he was all by himself on the ice!. Guys that are 5'10 forwards and great skaters do nt move like that especially for a dman that is 6'5" that is freaking unreal!!

On 5/23/2016 at 10:07 AM, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I don't see us moving. But I'm bored, so... 

Since we don't know who will have 4th overall yet (we don't do we?) it's impossible to say, but I'm guessing the chances are slim they'd do this.  Not when they know what we have on the blue line in the system.

But it's fun to think about and even though I like MDZ and the rest of the team seems to really love him, I'd go ahead and pull that trigger.  Laughton has some nice things going for him, but unfortunately we need other things and I just don't see them coming from him.  i.e. we need someone with the potential to be a Jeff Carter scoring threat not a Mike Richards grit and guts guy... and right now potential is mostly what Laughton still is.  

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

Since we don't know who will have 4th overall yet (we don't do we?) it's impossible to say, but I'm guessing the chances are slim they'd do this.  Not when they know what we have on the blue line in the system.

But it's fun to think about and even though I like MDZ and the rest of the team seems to really love him, I'd go ahead and pull that trigger.  Laughton has some nice things going for him, but unfortunately we need other things and I just don't see them coming from him.  i.e. we need someone with the potential to be a Jeff Carter scoring threat not a Mike Richards grit and guts guy... and right now potential is mostly what Laughton still is.  

Ya, the team picking 4th overall usually picks 1st overall.

On May 20, 2016 at 6:20 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Well all the Flyer fans want to blow this up before we have even saw this blueline reach it's potential even....it's just crazy how some of these fans never learn...this rebuild the blueline project took place at the 2012 draft....yet only one has arrived yet so why would we(not you or i ) blow it up already.

wow I miss the lottery?  When'd that happen?

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

wow I miss the lottery?  When'd that happen?

Not sure what you aking exactly. But i'll go out on a limb and try to guess....2012 was the year they drafted Ghost....in the 3rd round.

9 hours ago, King Knut said:

Edmonton has the 4th pick.   I'm thinking of the top 5 they might be the most willing to move if you dangle the right defensemen (plural) and the 17th.    I don't think Laughton is an option with Edmonton.  They already have several simply better centermen.    And I don't see him being enough for the other 4 teams in the top five (plus the 17th) and I'm not willing to throw anymore into it.   So....

MDZ, Gudas, and #17 for Edmonton's #4 pick.   If not, I stand pat and trust my scouts.

8 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Edmonton has the 4th pick.   I'm thinking of the top 5 they might be the most willing to move if you dangle the right defensemen (plural) and the 17th.    I don't think Laughton is an option with Edmonton.  They already have several simply better centermen.    And I don't see him being enough for the other 4 teams in the top five (plus the 17th) and I'm not willing to throw anymore into it.   So....

MDZ, Gudas, and #17 for Edmonton's #4 pick.   If not, I stand pat and trust my scouts.

If we want to move up to #4, we will have to include one of our Defense prospects

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

If we want to move up to #4, we will have to include one of our Defense prospects

I thought that myself.  If that's the case, then the deal is off for me.   I was trying to go young but established in lieu of that since whomever could help them now, but ultimately I think you're right.

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not sure what you aking exactly. But i'll go out on a limb and try to guess....2012 was the year they drafted Ghost....in the 3rd round.

I didn't realize the NHl had already held the lottery this year that's all. 

10 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, sorry I've been a little preoccupied lately and didn't realize the lottery had been held.  Ironically I think Edmonton could use a decent 3rd line center more than we need him but that's just because they already have the scoring talent. 

Matheus be better suited to sign a vet in Free Agency in a year or two when they're ready to compete than to trade for Laughton now. 

25 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I didn't realize the NHl had already held the lottery this year that's all. 

Oh ok. I wasn't sure what you were talking about. This years lottey. Ok yes it has.

25 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Yeah, sorry I've been a little preoccupied lately and didn't realize the lottery had been held.  Ironically I think Edmonton could use a decent 3rd line center more than we need him but that's just because they already have the scoring talent. 

Matheus be better suited to sign a vet in Free Agency in a year or two when they're ready to compete than to trade for Laughton now. 

No worries.  I actually wasn't trying to be smarmy that time.

Yeah, maybe they could use a 3rd line center.  I agree with your point regarding Laughton.   I just don't think he's the bait required for a #4 pick.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I thought that myself.  If that's the case, then the deal is off for me.   I was trying to go young but established in lieu of that since whomever could help them now, but ultimately I think you're right.

I just stick with the pick we have. We have been great at drafting anywhere in the 1st.

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

\2012 was the year they drafted Ghost....in the 3rd round.

So can one of the more "learned" posters here explain to me how a kid like Ghost (who OBVIOUSLY has some innate hockey sense and skills) goes all the way to the third round in the Draft?? I really don't know a lot about player development and don't really follow juniors or prospects all that much.....so how does that happen. Was he not showing signs of this break out year? I would think scouting would have picked up on his assets or abilities?

HOW DOES SCOUTING WORK!!! And why do 1st round picks routinely end up as average at best NHL players, and players like Ghost and others NHL Greats are taken in the 3rd 4th....heck sometimes 6-8 rounds and go on to be super stars? I don't get it. does this happen in other sports as well??

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond to that rambling post!

17 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

So can one of the more "learned" posters here explain to me how a kid like Ghost (who OBVIOUSLY has some innate hockey sense and skills) goes all the way to the third round in the Draft?? I really don't know a lot about player development and don't really follow juniors or prospects all that much.....so how does that happen. Was he not showing signs of this break out year? I would think scouting would have picked up on his assets or abilities?

HOW DOES SCOUTING WORK!!! And why do 1st round picks routinely end up as average at best NHL players, and players like Ghost and others NHL Greats are taken in the 3rd 4th....heck sometimes 6-8 rounds and go on to be super stars? I don't get it. does this happen in other sports as well??

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond to that rambling post!

Simple: You're basically trying to predict the future. Some kids have the tools, but you find out that they don't have the drive (Alex Daigle, #1 overall). Others have question marks about their size, like Ghost. Maybe a guy sees the game amazingly well, but when he hits the pros, he can't process the information fast enough - you have no way of knowing that at the time of the draft, though. Scouts look at all kinds of factors when they evaluate players, but in the end, they're still 18 year old kids who still have to grow and mature.

Fair enough. I just wonder if there is "less certainty" in hockey when drafting in the 1st round than other sports....seems like there are a LOT more variables that come into play with how a given player will do in the "big leagues".

I know from watching a lot of NHL hockey and then going to an occasional AHL Game (back before our local AHL team slipped out the back door during the night!! Thanks a lot Pirates!) that there is quiet a leap in speed/puck possession/hits/ everything from the AHL to the NHL level.

Anyway, don't mean to hijack the thread. I was just surprised to see that a kid with OBVIOUS on the ice talent like Ghost, did not interest a single NHL team (or scout) before the 3rd round...I guess I'm glad they Didn't!

45 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Fair enough. I just wonder if there is "less certainty" in hockey when drafting in the 1st round than other sports....seems like there are a LOT more variables that come into play with how a given player will do in the "big leagues".

I know from watching a lot of NHL hockey and then going to an occasional AHL Game (back before our local AHL team slipped out the back door during the night!! Thanks a lot Pirates!) that there is quiet a leap in speed/puck possession/hits/ everything from the AHL to the NHL level.

Anyway, don't mean to hijack the thread. I was just surprised to see that a kid with OBVIOUS on the ice talent like Ghost, did not interest a single NHL team (or scout) before the 3rd round...I guess I'm glad they Didn't!

Hockey is drafting 18 year olds...every other sport drafts 21 year olds. Of course its easier to pick guys 3 years later in their development.

Ghost was small (very small when drafted) so nobody could tell if he was going to end up 6' 200 or stay at 150. Joe Pavelski went in the 7th round. Daigle went 1st overall. It happens.

Archived