Should Marleau be suspended?

notfondajane

Should Marleau be Suspended for hit to the head on Rust?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marleau be Suspended for hit to the head on Rust?

17 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

I, personally didn't see the hit! A local station here in Pittsburgh believe he should receive an one gamer like Letang did earlier in this year playoffs!

I highly doubt it.

https://twitter.com/myregularface/status/737469878777581572/photo/1

But ill let you judge for yourself. Most pens fans are not getting the pitchforks out from what I have read.

I'm going to say yes. Because i don't think it was intentional to hurt him but head contact was made and this is the hit i want taken out the game.

This guys have to pull up on this borderline hits.

They just have to. When you're not completely sure you can get a full chest impact don't take the hit.

And i'm pulling for the Sharks and i hate the Pens but these hits have to go.

The only way is when the head is hit like this even after contact you have to hold them accountable.

There just looks to be contact with the jaw. Maybe from another angle it doesn't but from what i have seen it may sit for this.

Just call it even both ways....all the time.

No supplemental discipline from the NHL....

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2016/05/31/Marleau-will-not-face-more-discipline-for-Rust-hit-penguins-sharks-san-jose-pittsburgh/stories/201605310163

By Dave Molinari / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

San Jose forward Patrick Marleau will not face supplemental discipline for his hit to the head of Penguins winger Bryan Rust during Game 1 of the Stanley Cup final Monday night.

A league official confirmed this morning that Marleau will not have a hearing with the league's Department of Player Safety.

Marleau was assessed a minor penalty for an illegal check to the head at 4:47 of the third period.

Rust, who scored the Penguins' first goal in their 3-2 victory, left the game immediately. He subsequently returned for one shift, then adjourned to the locker room for good.

Penguins coach Mike Sullivan described him as "day to day." It is not known if Rust will participate in the Penguins' workout at their practice facility in Cranberry today.

Coulda gone either way. No history from Marleau if it had been a Raffi Torres or Jared Boll or another repeat offender it probably woulda been suspension worthy. If I were Marleau tho I would not expect anymore free passes this postseason....

From the back angle, I said no, but when I saw that angle from the front, I lean more towards yes.  If it were a Flyer's player who got hit, I would probably be clamoring for a 1 gamer, especially since we have seen hits like that draw at least a game in the past.  Of course if a Flyer player delivered this hit, my mind would be more drawn to those times when it was not suspension worthy and I'd be saying no :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:.   This just highlights the inconsistency that we see with supplemental discipline in the NHL.  The fact that we can say that we can see this going either way based on past history makes me feel like the NHL is just flipping a coin sometimes!  

I thought of it as how the excuse when they hit Letang was in the name of consistency since they'd hit Oprik.  This just rings of typical NHL disciplinary BS though...  it's a frustrating thing for all of the fans I'd imagine.  Anyone who cares about the game anyway. 

I liked what they said on NHL.com - he was reaching and off balance, Marleau had no intent to hit the head and his p.o.c was the chest/body. No sus. Rightfully so.

I think the 2 minute minor called on the ice was the right call. incidental contact with the head as he is making a shoulder to body hit. Had he raised and led with the Shoulder I would say suspension but I don't see that being the case in this one.

Archived