Sabres sign Okposo to 7 year deal

Buffalo Rick

3 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

It would not matter what Murray does, you are going to criticize any move we make.  But ask yourself what your boy Hextall has done lately?  Has he done anything to really give you team a shot in the arm?  I would be pissed if it was my team

I was just giving an honest evaluation of the deal. Murray should have waited, just my thoughts.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Didn't have any brains and all he did was swing his stick? Won the Conn Smythe in 1987 and was within 2 periods of being on a team that almost beat arguably the greatest hockey team of all-time...won the Cup as an assistant to Dean Lombardi twice. Was highly thought of and sought after by numerous teams to be their GM. Yeah, you're right, HJ.:eyeroll::63:

Blah   Blah   Blah

The last time the Buffalo Sabres made the playoffs was 2010 -11. The last time the Flyers made the playoffs was 2015-16, where we ran into the best point total team in the league. Point is, you have to actually MAKE the playoffs to win a Cup. 

Reported.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Isn't that the title of the Buffalo Sabres franchise video?

We will see how cocky you are when Murray gets done with this rebuild and we are lighting up your team like a Xmas tree

2 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

We will see how cocky you are when Murray gets done with this rebuild and we are lighting up your team like a Xmas tree

...or out of the playoff picture by Christmas?

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

2 things come to mind.....

• "Pride always comes before the fall"
  • "Me thinks thou dost protest too much"

You need to calm down on the rhetoric.  You get way too defensive when other posters post legitimate questions regarding the moves made by your beloved Sabres and GM.

Just remember ..the Sabres have NOT won anything yet.  Have they improved sure not gonna argue that.  You keep stating the Sabres are not done with their rebuild...newsflash sherlock...the Flyers haven't finished their rebuild yet.  I'll take the Flyers entire prospective blue line (Provorov/Sanheim/Morin/Ghost/Meyer/Haag) over the Sabres blue line anyday of the week.  Outside of Ristolainen there is NOT a single Buffalo defensive prospect I would want.

Offensively have the Sabres..sure ..Eichel will be a tremendous player and O'Reilly was a nice addition last year.  Okposo may or may not excel with the Sabres.  Personally, I agree with many on here that the Sabres vastly overpaid him especially considering it is a 7 yr contract.  Okposo is a very streaky player and that was with the benefit of playing along side of Tavres.

The Sabres are still VERY weak in goal.  Do you really trust Lehner?  Sure Ullmark is in the system BUT he has not proven anything yet.

Bottom line..... the Sabres have made strides and have added some nice additions, BUT they have not proven a thing yet....lets see how both team progress before you start making statements, "lighting up your team like a Xmas tree"

Just now, pilldoc said:

You need to calm down on the rhetoric.  You get way too defensive when other posters post legitimate questions regarding the moves made by your beloved Sabres and GM.

To be fair, some of the early posts seemed less aimed at having an honest discussion about the wisdom of the move than they were with getting a rise out of HJ.

On 7/7/2016 at 5:36 PM, AJgoal said:

To be fair, some of the early posts seemed less aimed at having an honest discussion about the wisdom of the move than they were with getting a rise out of HJ.

Absolutely...and he brings it all on himself.

No offence intended Rick...you are entertaining to have on this board and it wouldn't be as good without you!

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah and Hockey Junk needs to respect others opinions and not call others "Mr know it all" when they think different than him would go along ways.

@OccamsRazor- Please change your user name to Mr. Know It All, it sounds very dignified!  :)  

HJ also called someone Mr.Wisenheimer recently, forgot who that was though. That would also make a cool user name. Best I have been called is smartass, oh and there was also that time he went on a long rant when he thought I was female and not qualified to discuss hockey.

I will try to be better........:mellow:

2 minutes ago, Samifan said:

@OccamsRazor- Please change your user name to Mr. Know It All, it sounds very dignified!  :)  

HJ also called someone Mr.Wisenheimer recently, forgot who that was though. That would also make a cool user name. Best I have been called is smartass, oh and there was also that time he went on a long rant when he thought I was female and not qualified to discuss hockey.

I will try to be better........:mellow:

One day i hope to know just half of what Hockey Junk knows....

...i have a long ways to go....but i will never give up hope!!!!:beer:

On 7/7/2016 at 1:39 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

Well Hextalll never did have any brains.  All he could ever do is swing his stick.  I am not here to say Murray belongs on the tonight show fella.  I am saying he is going a good job.  We do not care about his demeanor. We have guys like Pegula that can handle any type of media circus if it comes our way.  This is about putting a hockey team together, not the entertainment industry

Seriously, no one is knocking the Okposo thing out of spite.  We're having a legitimate hockey conversation about signing a 50-60 point guy who does nothing else to such a big/long contract.  For a guy who will have jumped the shark by the time the team is really ready to make some noise and who will be a $6M anvil around your team's neck.  I'd have been screaming if the Flyers had signed him.  I was just about having an aneurysm the day VLC was signed.  That was vastly worse than this, but similar principle.

But enjoy that.   You had your panties in a bunch when the very same people here said Leino was a horrible mistake the day he was signed.  How'd that turn out?   

You still whine about Miller, who is at this point barely an average starting goalie and, probably a good back-up at this point. 

You're really not qualified to criticize the incredible job Hextall has done.  You'd be pissed at him because you really make absolutely no sense.  Got a team that was completely prostrate (and didn't finish last in the league only because the league includes Buffalo and Edmonton) back to a playoff team without mortgaging anything; without signing an average fraud to a huge contract that will kill a team later; and by shedding several similar-to-Murray/Okposo/Moulson/Kane albatross contracts his moron predecessor left him.  And now with a hefty stock of prospects to move forward with.  We get rid of the last couple albatross Holmsphincter  contracts this year and next year.  Hopefully with that money, Hextall doesn't get tempted to shoot himself in the face like Holmgren and Murray.

Enjoy the signing.  He'll help this year.  He may make you barely competitive for a playoff spot.  It's all downhill from there toots.

On 7/7/2016 at 2:33 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!  That's hysterical.  Stop it; I'm going to wet myself.   hahahahaha.

Nah, you're signing a mishmash of guys who will be useless together.  Enjoy wasting Eichel until he leaves on UFA to go to a real team the first chance he gets.

On 7/7/2016 at 4:50 PM, pilldoc said:

You need to calm down on the rhetoric.

Aw. c'mon dad, then we won't be able to do it back!  And that's so much fun!  :hyper:

#hockeyrelated

On 7/7/2016 at 5:36 PM, AJgoal said:

I'll have to go back to look at my early posts on this thread, but I was really just stating my legitimate dislike of this signing.  And of Okposo in general.

Actually, when this first started I really felt bad for HJ because I knew he was really excited about the deal and I know he's hungry to see the Sabres do well after so many years of, well, not doing well.   And I'm sorry guys on the NHL Channel are wrong.  It's not the first time and it won't be the last.

Bunch of wise guys here I see.  Well, ESPN, NHL, CBS all say that the bets two pick ups were Okposo and Lucic.  I guess Edmonton needed a tough guy and that is what Lucic thinks he is.  He is a punk!   I am surprised he did not wind up in Philly.  They like his type of goon type players.  

25 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Bunch of wise guys here I see.  Well, ESPN, NHL, CBS all say that the bets two pick ups were Okposo and Lucic.  I guess Edmonton needed a tough guy and that is what Lucic thinks he is.  He is a punk!   I am surprised he did not wind up in Philly.  They like his type of goon type players.  

I've said this to you before HJ, what the hell does CBS know about hockey? 

Anyone the sabres signed as a FA would have been viewed as a great addition for the Sabres because they have been in the NHL's toilet the last several years. Murray should have focused on improving the goaltending and defense first before overpaying for Okposo. Pegula has no clue how to run a professional sports team. He is Steinbrenner light, buy the flashy objects, spend, spend spend. That's why the Sabres and Bills will continue to be mediocre at best.

47 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I'm not being a wise guy.  I'm perfectly serious in my posts.   Whether I'm ultimately right or wrong, time will tell, but I'm perfectly serious.  Just expressing my opinion on a really dumb signing.  Aside from what you heard from some talking heads that are wrong more often than they're right, what do YOU know about Okposo that you're basing your opinion on?  I mean from firsthand watching or even stat-watching.  Tell us please, oh #NeverRightGuy.

I'll await your nonsensical reply. 

21 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I've said this to you before HJ, what the hell does CBS know about hockey? 

Anyone the sabres signed as a FA would have been viewed as a great addition for the Sabres because they have been in the NHL's toilet the last several years. Murray should have focused on improving the goaltending and defense first before overpaying for Okposo. Pegula has no clue how to run a professional sports team. He is Steinbrenner light, buy the flashy objects, spend, spend spend. That's why the Sabres and Bills will continue to be mediocre at best.

I think they Sabres do possibly have their goaltending.  The key word is "possibly."  But between Lehner and Ullmark I don't think they could possibly know for sure yet.  I personally don't have a high opinion on Lehner, but it's based on a very small sample size and other than a suspicion that he's injury-prone, I really have no way of building a strong argument one way or the other.  So I personally wouldn't have moved resources for a goalie or signed one as FA yet.  They have time to be patient is the point.  Their kids are at least 2 years, probably 3 from being where they're going to be a playoff threat (I don't just mean make the playoffs somewhat accidentally like the Flyers did.  That could very well happen sooner). They could have plugged some holes for shorter terms (the money doesn't bother me--it's not my money--Just shorter terms) while their young NHL players and prospects matured.  

Then, once that happens, you assess what the need is to get you to contention status and you have both the money and cap room to do it.   @radoran pointed out well that the Cap isn't an immediate issue for them.  But I still don't spend cap room willy-nilly if I don't have to.  And they don't have to.

Archived