Flyers sign Dale Weise...details still coming

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

He can be a finished product and at 10-15/15-20 and that's fine with me. I'm not expecting him to come here and turn into Sergi Federov.

I don't have a problem with the deal at all, this isn't an Andrew MacDonald or Mark Striet type deal.  the money is less, when the term is over he's 32 not 38....viewed in a vacuum the deal is "wha,  why ?" but in terms of having another good 2 way player to take draws, play on the PK, grind the **** out of defensemen so guys with elite talent don't get worn out on the PK , its a rising tide lifting all boats.  I'd rather have G on the half wall dishing to guys who can score and make plays 5 on 5 rather than seeing him busting for 35-40 seconds  on the PK.   Weise and Gordon help with that.

I agree with this but I prefer he be on a 2 year deal. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/1/2016 at 6:53 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Not if you just take picks in return. Those aren't bad contracts to move. At least i don't think so.

And team needing to get to the floor or with space could take those two on.

Yotes and Avs are two off the top of my head who could use both.

A team simply with cap space yes.   And maybe the Avs.   

But the problem with the Yotes is that both Read and Streit are still actually playing.    I know that sounds like an attempt at ironic snark, but bear with me.   The reason a Datsyuk or Pronger contract is attractive to them is that the paper contracts help them toward the cap floor but the cheap bastards in the desert don't actually have to pay a cent.  Basically, they get credit for doing something they're not actually doing.  You talk about circumvention of cap, that's the most glaring example.   

So, with Read and Streit, yes it gets them closer to the cap floor but they're actually paying their salaries unless they can pay someone a nominal amount to ditch their plane on the way to Phoenix.    So, if they're going to actually pay money to do their duty and get to the cap floor, they'd be better off offering this actual money to a free agent or in a trade for someone who will actually contribute something other than just filling out a jersey (I'm specifically referring to Read; Streit can still provide something).  

I think Read and Streit will actually provide difficult to move.   It will be a trade like with VLC where there is something going the other way WITH the dead wood.  I don't think it will be a Coyote situation.   At this point, though, Streit may actually be more possible since 1) he can still contribute and 2) he's in the final year of his contract.  The Coyotes would get a $5.2M cap benefit while only paying $4M.    If the Flyers offered to pay up to half that salary, it may actually become attractive to the Cheap-### Dogs.

Read, on the other hand has 2 years left and this year's salary is actually more than his cap hit (it drops to less in the last year).  I don't think he'd be an attractive contract for the Penny Pinching Puppies.

1 minute ago, radoran said:

As I understand it, Streit got a $2M signing bonus on July 1. He's now a $2M "cost" for a "$5.25M" cap hit. That can be attractive to teams.

I read further into the thread after posting and someone alluded to similar.  Your post spells out a little more clearly what the other post alluded to.

If that's the case, then Streit could be a great candidate for the Piker Pups.  They get $3.25M of cap credit for nothing.  Just their kind of balance sheet bonus.    And if the Flyers offer to pay part, that's even better for the Churl Curs.

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

Well, White signed with Arizona, so....

Yes, I know. I was commenting on Vandevelde not being on the roster, and I hope that he isn't. As far as White goes, good energy player who brings more physicality than almost anyone on the team...but replaceable. They don't play the same position, but Weise brings that same physicality, with more scoring touch. Good pickup by #27.

3 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Yes, I know. I was commenting on Vandevelde not being on the roster, and I hope that he isn't. As far as White goes, good energy player who brings more physicality than almost anyone on the team...but replaceable. They don't play the same position, but Weise brings that same physicality, with more scoring touch. Good pickup by #27.

VdV will most likely be the 13th forward (which is fine)

4 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

VdV will most likely be the 13th forward (which is fine)

There is literally no upside there, but one of the kids should not be in that role. I would begrudgingly be ok with VdV being on the team, but would hope some other veteran invite would take his spot, or at least give him a run for his money. He is a underdog though, gets by on hard work and not a lot of talent, which makes me cheer for him a bit.

10 hours ago, ruxpin said:

A team simply with cap space yes.   And maybe the Avs.   

But the problem with the Yotes is that both Read and Streit are still actually playing.    I know that sounds like an attempt at ironic snark, but bear with me.   The reason a Datsyuk or Pronger contract is attractive to them is that the paper contracts help them toward the cap floor but the cheap bastards in the desert don't actually have to pay a cent.  Basically, they get credit for doing something they're not actually doing.  You talk about circumvention of cap, that's the most glaring example.   

So, with Read and Streit, yes it gets them closer to the cap floor but they're actually paying their salaries unless they can pay someone a nominal amount to ditch their plane on the way to Phoenix.    So, if they're going to actually pay money to do their duty and get to the cap floor, they'd be better off offering this actual money to a free agent or in a trade for someone who will actually contribute something other than just filling out a jersey (I'm specifically referring to Read; Streit can still provide something).  

I think Read and Streit will actually provide difficult to move.   It will be a trade like with VLC where there is something going the other way WITH the dead wood.  I don't think it will be a Coyote situation.   At this point, though, Streit may actually be more possible since 1) he can still contribute and 2) he's in the final year of his contract.  The Coyotes would get a $5.2M cap benefit while only paying $4M.    If the Flyers offered to pay up to half that salary, it may actually become attractive to the Cheap-### Dogs.

Read, on the other hand has 2 years left and this year's salary is actually more than his cap hit (it drops to less in the last year).  I don't think he'd be an attractive contract for the Penny Pinching Puppies.

Some good points....I actually think Streit would make a nice pp partner for Exman-Larsson, especially if the Flyers pay part of his cap hit to send him out of town. I can't see how any team would want Read....unless, somehow, a team was looking for increased speed and was willing to forsake basic competence in order to provide said speed.

Totally off topic, but where were you last night, I only ask because someone fitting your description was spotted in Camden, slinking into the Donkey's for a poppy seed cheesesteak.....can this be true?

10 hours ago, ruxpin said:

At this point, though, Streit may actually be more possible since 1) he can still contribute and 2) he's in the final year of his contract.  The Coyotes would get a $5.2M cap benefit while only paying $4M.    If the Flyers offered to pay up to half that salary, it may actually become attractive to the Cheap-### Dogs.

You're forgetting one very important thing:

Why in God's green earth would Streit, a man who's never won a Cup, waive his NTC to play his likely final season in Arizona?

14 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Some good points....I actually think Streit would make a nice pp partner for Exman-Larsson, especially if the Flyers pay part of his cap hit to send him out of town. I can't see how any team would want Read....unless, somehow, a team was looking for increased speed and was willing to forsake basic competence in order to provide said speed.

Totally off topic, but where were you last night, I only ask because someone fitting your description was spotted in Camden, slinking into the Donkey's for a poppy seed cheesesteak.....can this be true?

LMAO. You're really close. Saturday night I was at Penns Landing right on the river bank looking at the Camden waterfront while eating a cheesesteak to watch the fireworks with my daughters. 

Too funny., 

11 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

You're forgetting one very important thing:

Why in God's green earth would Streit, a man who's never won a Cup, waive his NTC to play his likely final season in Arizona?

Well yeah, there's definitely that too.   I really think he's more of a deadline rental.  And we should be in the chase ourselves and probably don't do  that. 

I really don't think he goes anywhere.  I was just countering my own argument from the Coyotes perspective. 

Just now, ruxpin said:

LMAO. You're really close. Saturday night I was at Penns Landing right on the river bank looking at the Camden waterfront while eating a cheesesteak to watch the fireworks with my daughters. 

Too funny., 

HA....I just threw it in because I'm watching the CNN show Anthony Bourdain "Parts Unknown". They are having a marathon, did a special on Camden and showed Donkey's....they said a lot of Philly natives come over, while covering their license plates so they will not be seen....lol, could not resist throwing it in there....LOL!

Just now, ruxpin said:

Well yeah, there's definitely that too.   I really think he's more of a deadline rental.  And we should be in the chase ourselves and probably don't do  that. 

I really don't think he goes anywhere.  I was just countering my own argument from the Coyotes perspective. 

Yeah, if I have to be perfectly honest, I think what we see right now is what we get. Maybe a bit of jockeying on the wings, but:

Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds/Voracek

Laughton/Raffl - Couturier - Voracek/Simmonds

Laughton/Raffl - Cousins - Weise

Read - Gordon - Bellemare

The nice thing about that 4th line is that it's plenty defensively responsible enough that you don't HAVE to put Couturier out to play defense. You can let that second line try to score goals, and play defense as a more secondary role.

• 4 months later...

Weiss, just 1 assist after 12 games played.  This is not the return I was hoping for as a free agent signing making $2M +.  Numbers look similar to the ones he put up in a short stay with Chicago.  I know people here give VDV a hard time but at least he had produced more at about 33% of Weiss' salary.  Weiss has 2 assists in his last 27 regular season games including his time the Chicago.

Every single Flyers defenseman has more points than Weiss.  I am sure he will turn it around before his 4 year contract ends though.....

He's been completely useless. I even forget most of the time that he's even on the roster. Not much impact when he's out on the ice. 

I'm hoping his just having a hard time breaking in with his new team but, **** this has been a terrible signing 

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

He's been completely useless. I even forget most of the time that he's even on the roster. Not much impact when he's out on the ice. 

I'm hoping his just having a hard time breaking in with his new team but, **** this has been a terrible signing 

lets hope he improves...  

I actually like the signing but he has done nothing to keep liking it.  Frankly, he has been terrible...

I haven't noticed him out there.  Not a bad observation when you are a defensive defenseman going about doing your job but not for a forward.  I am sure making a move from the Habs to the Hawks then to the Flyers over the summer can't be easy especially when you sprinkle in a 3 game suspension.  However I'd like to see a bit more from the eye test. 

Archived