Weal re-signed

sekkes85

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will he still be exposed to waivers if they try to send him down? Hextall didn't want to risk losing him last year so I guess if nothing has changed he will be the new popcorn guy.

3 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Will he still be exposed to waivers if they try to send him down? Hex tall didn't want to risk losing him last year so I guess if nothing has changed he will be the new popcorn guy.

Yes

2 minutes ago, sekkes85 said:

Ge signed a two-way contract didn't he?

He did, but he's not waivers-exempt to be sent to the AHL.

He signed at 19, so after four years he's subject to waivers. It is thought that this is why LA and PHL didn't send him down to the minors last season.

If they put him on waivers, they presume someone would pick him up.

Too small too soft, nothing to see here but will forever be endeared to Flyer fans because he was the payoff for dumping Vinnie. Hell, for that he may even have his number retired......

Isn't there an exception to the waiver thing prior to the season?

13.2 The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season. Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a Player may be Loaned to a club of another league,

Just now, ruxpin said:

Not that I'm aware of. Porter was claimed off waivers last season at the end of the pre-season.

Just now, ruxpin said:

This says that waivers begin 12 days prior to the regular season.

I'm guessing they could stash him down there before that(?)

Which is likely why there is a $200K AHL salary and $250K "salary guarantee" in the contract.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Not that I'm aware of. Porter was claimed off waivers last season at the end of the pre-season.

I added to the post you're replying to (with CBA language) while you were responding.  I think that was because it was after the 12 day window before the start of the season.   But I'm not positive.  It's VCR instructions.

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

You're better at this crap than me, so maybe you can figure out if that's an exception to an exception of whatever.

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You're better at this crap than me, so maybe you can figure out if that's an exception to an exception of whatever.

Porter got claimed because it was after the 12-day cutoff.

As I read it, Flyers could certainly assign Weal to the AHL 13 days before the regular season starts.

I really don't know what, if anything, this "World Cup" nonsense has on the situation.

1 minute ago, radoran said:

As I read it, Flyers could certainly assign Weal to the AHL 13 days before the regular season starts.

I was gonna say, "Gotta figure that's what happens, right?"  But then they have him stuck there, right?  And he'd have to pass through waivers to trade him?

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I was gonna say, "Gotta figure that's what happens, right?"  But then they have him stuck there, right?  And he'd have to pass through waivers to trade him?

there are no "re-entry" waivers any more.

I don't know chapter-and-verse, but the waiver process is designed - from the player perspective - to make sure that "NHL players" are playing in the NHL (Andrew MacDonald notwithstanding)

I can't determine what happens if they "need" to bring him up during the regular season. Is it that he can be sent down before 10 games/30 days? Or since he wasn't subject to waivers in the first place, would he be subject to them immediately upon recall

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

there are no "re-entry" waivers any more.

I don't know chapter-and-verse, but the waiver process is designed - from the player perspective - to make sure that "NHL players" are playing in the NHL (Andrew MacDonald notwithstanding)

I can't determine what happens if they "need" to bring him up during the regular season. Is it that he can be sent down before 10 games/30 days? Or since he wasn't subject to waivers in the first place, would he be subject to them immediately upon recall

Just so we're clear....are you calling him an NHL player?  :5726c71d97cb4_pleasestopnow: He definitely has an NHL contract, regardless.  

Just now, radoran said:

He played 14 games, right?

:hocky:

Yip.  14 games.  3:00 ATOI, = 42 minutes of an NHL career  (I really haven't looked at his numbers, so I'm just being snarky.  The guy is not an NHLer, although he is by CBA standards at this point).

Your boys signed one of my favorite Griffins, little Andy Miele who has been a point a game center in the AHL with both Arizona and Detroit organizations. Small like Weal but brings it every game, great on ice vision, won the Hobey Baker award while with Miami of Ohio, I know he is so small that he can sleep in the carry on rack of a plane but I have been puzzled why the Wings who have needed scoring never gave him a shot. Not saying he is a star in the making but I do not think he would embarrass himself at the NHL level as a 3C. Reminds me of Desharnais in Montreal and I think with a bit of luck he might be able to have a career. And Brennan on defense too, I know how thrilled he is to be part of the organization but he will be buried by the Avalanche of great kids coming up, there is no reason Brennan could not have a Wideman kind of career, 2nd PPP pair him with a solid stay at home guy, 40 points a year. So a couple of great signings for organizational depth who might surprise as injury fill ins and stick. Weal, probably not. I rank him behind both of the others as a player.

6 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Too small too soft, nothing to see here but will forever be endeared to Flyer fans because he was the payoff for dumping Vinnie. Hell, for that he may even have his number retired......

I must have watched him play about 70 games when I lived in Regina, and he absolutely feasted on Jordan Eberle's leftovers and gimmes. He must have led the WHL in second assists upon which Eberle danced through the opposition and created a goal from thin air, and virtually empty net goals on feeds from him as well. As you say, his greatest contribution to the Flyers will be from Vinnie Aid '16.

17 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Beats the hell out of the future considerations we got for Roenick.....well, maybe not "the hell".

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Beats the hell out of the future considerations we got for Roenick.....well, maybe not "the hell".

And even if he's only ever an AHL 1st or 2nd liner, there's something to be said for having a good AHL team for your prospects to come up through.

10 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

And even if he's only ever an AHL 1st or 2nd liner, there's something to be said for having a good AHL team for your prospects to come up through.

Yes, so long as he doesn't take minutes away from actual prospects.

Archived