Provorov

RJ8812

Let me just start off by saying I think this guy has a great future ahead of himself with this team....

However...

Right now, I think Hakstol is not using him properly. I don't agree with how this team is handling him at all. He is not being put in the right position in order to help improve his game. He needs to be eased into the league and slowly pushed up the line up once he shows he's becoming more comfortable with his role. Now we know why this team hasn't developed a defenseman in over 20 years. Ok, maybe Gostisbehere, but the guy was 22 when he forced his way into the line-up. Provorov is still a teenager.

To start off, he should not be paired with a defenseman who is as poor defensively as Streit is. I do not understand how the coaches can not see this. He needs to be paired with someone who is much more of a stay-at-home defenseman who can help Provorov if he ever gets in trouble. Streit does not do that. In those games that he was paired with Manning, he looked a lot more comfortable. Keep him there with Manning or even Schultz (who should be in the line-up over MacDonald)

Match-ups/Ice-time: Provorov can not handle other teams' top lines. And that's fine. He's 19 and is going to have to get comfortable with the size and speed of players in the NHL. Our coaches are doing an absolute terrible job of managing his time out on the ice. He should not sniff the ice when the other team throws out their top line. I wouldn't even have him on the PK yet at this point of his career. Let him focus on his even strength and one side of special teams before he throw him out there on the other.

I think if the coaching staff takes better control of Provorov, there won't be so much pressure on him and he can just focus on working on his game. I know that we have one of the worse defense groups in the league, but that shouldn't force Provorov into the position he's been put into. I'm really hoping that once Del Zotto returns, that can help stabilize our blueline and make things easier on Provorov. Wouldn't mind seeing something like: Del Zotto/Gostisbehere, Streit/Gudas, Manning (or Schultz)/Provorov....please stop playing MacDonald 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@RJ8812

I don't disagree with any of that.  I like your pairings at the end.  I'd even be okay with Gudas/Provorov honestly.   Streit and Ghost (right now) are the last two people he should be with.  Well, and MacDonald.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@RJ8812

I don't disagree with any of that.  I like your pairings at the end.  I'd even be okay with Gudas/Provorov honestly.   Streit and Ghost (right now) are the last two people he should be with.  Well, and MacDonald.

I think Gudas would be a good one as well, but right now, I'm focusing on keeping him away from the other teams' top lines, and Gudas would be out there agaisnt them. Once Provorov shows improvements on his game, Gudas could be a great partner for him. 

The kid has talent,he needs more size.

Pairing him with Sterit has not worked they might want to cut down his ice time and let him learn.

One more year in jr wouldn't hurt .

The kid will be a good one but not this year .

We started talking about this in the Islanders game thread.  (Maybe a mod can move over some of those posts?) 

Agreed that he isn't/wasn't being used right.   However maybe that was the plan.  Throw him against the toughest competition for the first 10 games and see how he holds up.  Almost like an evaluation period. 

7 minutes ago, Digityman said:

We started talking about this in the Islanders game thread.  (Maybe a mod can move over some of those posts?) 

Agreed that he isn't/wasn't being used right.   However maybe that was the plan.  Throw him against the toughest competition for the first 10 games and see how he holds up.  Almost like an evaluation period. 

Ya, just totally destroy the kids confidence...cause that's how Philly develops Dmen and goalies! :DancingGrape:

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, just totally destroy the kids confidence...cause that's how Philly develops Dmen and goalies! :DancingGrape:

Well it is a good way to test his breaking point....

...think of it as him low crawling in the mud in bootcamp under barb wire while tracer rounds are being fired above him...

Image result for pictures of low crawling in mud during bootcamp

...builds character...

:beer:

The first time he went to touch the puck last night, he goes to keep the puck in and misplays it.   I was thinking...:5726ba49d3da0_whiteflag:

He played pretty well the rest of the game thankfully.  

He'll get it.  Just need to ease him in a little better than throwing grenades at him

I'll be just glad when Del Zotto comes back just because with him in the lineup it should mean there will be no Mcdud and/or Schultz...and from the looks of it MDZ by default may have earned himself a new deal after this year unless he comes out and stinks it up between now and the deadline.

Unless the kids show they might be ready down in LV this season....highly unlikely....

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'll be just glad when Del Zotto comes back just because with him in the lineup it should mean there will be no Mcdud and/or Schultz...and from the looks of it MDZ by default may have earned himself a new deal after this year unless he comes out and stinks it up between now and the deadline.

Unless the kids show they might be ready down in LV this season....highly unlikely....

How about that Streit? If he keeps up this play, I see no problem in moving him between now and the deadline. If he doesn't keep up his play, his value may be highest right now.... Either way, I think at his current level of play, someone will give Hextall a 1st rounder. 

Montreal would be a good place for him, and they can afford to part with a late 1st.

I wouldn't mind seeing him with Gudas as a stay at home for the kid.

The only issue is Hak may want to pair him with MDZ to go against the other team's top line so they could drop him down to the bottom pair to get better matchups.

So it may shake out like this:

MDZ/Gudas

Ghost/Streit

Ivan/Manning

Funny how Gudas has actually played very smart since his return i knew he could do it.

22 hits and zero suspensions since! :DancingGrape:

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

...think of it as him low crawling in the mud in bootcamp under barb wire while tracer rounds are being fired above him...

...builds character...

Jumped up and bit me in the buh--tocks

1 hour ago, brelic said:

How about that Streit? If he keeps up this play, I see no problem in moving him between now and the deadline. If he doesn't keep up his play, his value may be highest right now.... Either way, I think at his current level of play, someone will give Hextall a 1st rounder. 

Montreal would be a good place for him, and they can afford to part with a late 1st.

Now might be the best time to move Streit. He's putting up points and moving the puck well. With MDZ coming back, you have a crunch at the blueline. You can justify it as a shakeup of a team that is constantly playing from behind. If you're in it at the deadline,  it's a hard sell to the players if you move one of your A's.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Now might be the best time to move Streit. He's putting up points and moving the puck well. With MDZ coming back, you have a crunch at the blueline. You can justify it as a shakeup of a team that is constantly playing from behind. If you're in it at the deadline,  it's a hard sell to the players if you move one of your A's.

Well what are you waiting for find the spot. I'll drive him there....uber baby!!!

There's nothing wrong with Provorov right now. Having Ivan face some adversity and play his way through it is going to be good for him. Look at what he did in the WHL. I think it's fair to say that he exceeded the challenges facing him and now that he's in the NHL, he needs to go through a few bumps in the road to understand what it takes to succeed at the next level. He can't rely on skill alone and that's the learning curve. The first 40 games of the season is his baptism by fire. By the end of the second half, Provorov will be a number one defender and nobody will even remember the struggles in the first 10 games. 

5 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Agreed, but it's going to be tough to find a team to move Streit to or it's going to mean taking on salary. It's probably going to involve multiple teams and it won't surprise me if the Flyers move Streit and a goaltender and get a goaltender, a prospect and some salary relief. Maybe something like Streit to the Islanders for Halak and then flipping Mason somewhere else for a marginal prospect and salary relief. Some will tear me a new one for suggesting this, but I think that's the way it's going to play out.

Just now, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Agreed, but it's going to be tough to find a team to move Streit to or it's going to mean taking on salary. It's probably going to involve multiple teams and it won't surprise me if the Flyers move Streit and a goaltender and get a goaltender, a prospect and some salary relief. Maybe something like Streit to the Islanders for Halak and then flipping Mason somewhere else for a marginal prospect and salary relief. Some will tear me a new one for suggesting this, but I think that's the way it's going to play out.

Just hold back half of Streit's salary. He's UFA, so who cares? Don't need cap this year.

8 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

I don't think any team is willing to take on Streit right now. Lets face it, he will probably be a last resort for most, if not all, teams

The Leafs can always use defense....but he has a NTC i think...so he has to ok it...can't remember.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

The Leafs can always use defense....but he has a NTC i think...so he has to ok it...can't remember.

They could use a defenseman that actually plays defense...that's not Streit. Besides, the Leafs are not going to be giving up any assets to acquire a 39 year old defenseman. Makes zero sense for a team in their position 

Streit's tied for 5th in the league in scoring amongst dmen. That will be attractive to teams that view themselves as contenders. Hold back half of his salary, and you're looking at a bargain for a middle pairing guy who is averaging .75 ppg from the defensive side. Puck moving defensemen are always in demand, even ones with flaws in their game like Streit.

Montreal can use more offense. Blues. Preds. In fact, for a team that made the second round last year and made a huge trade in the offseason, their terrible start might make the preds very open to a deal at this point in the season. 

2 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Streit's tied for 5th in the league in scoring amongst dmen. That will be attractive to teams that view themselves as contenders. Hold back half of his salary, and you're looking at a bargain for a middle pairing guy who is averaging .75 ppg from the defensive side. Puck moving defensemen are always in demand, even ones with flaws in their game like Streit.

Montreal can use more offense. Blues. Preds. In fact, for a team that made the second round last year and made a huge trade in the offseason, their terrible start might make the preds very open to a deal at this point in the season. 

Thing about this too is, on a contender with a deeper defensive core, Streit wouldn't HAVE to play upper tier minutes like he has been asked to do many times in Philly.

Asked to play, say 3rd pair minutes, given the skills he still has, and facing down the "lesser" lines on a more consistent basis, I think he could slot in, and continue to produce reasonably well.

If I am a team that pretty much has a solid top 3 or 4 and want another vet who can anchor a bottom pair with a young D-man, I'd look at Streit.

His cap hit/salary ($5.25M) is undesirable for a guy of his status, but like you said, if Philly eats some salary, I think they can find a taker for him....certainly much more easily than a taker for, say, MacDonald.

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Thing about this too is, on a contender with a deeper defensive core, Streit wouldn't HAVE to play upper tier minutes like he has been asked to do many times in Philly.

Asked to play, say 3rd pair minutes, given the skills he still has, and facing down the "lesser" lines on a more consistent basis, I think he could slot in, and continue to produce reasonably well.

If I am a team that pretty much has a solid top 3 or 4 and want another vet who can anchor a bottom pair with a young D-man, I'd look at Streit.

His cap hit/salary ($5.25M) is undesirable for a guy of his status, but like you said, if Philly eats some salary, I think they can find a taker for him....certainly much more easily than a taker for, say, MacDonald.

This.

Like you said, the cap hit could prove prohibitive.  The salary can certainly be worked around.

But a second or third pairing on a contender with some power play ability?  Yeah, you'll have takers at the deadline provided they have cap room.   I don't think that I move him now, though.   I mean, if you get someone who wants to dance and you're getting something of value (even picks, prospects better) in return, then you do it.   I just think the return will be better closer to the deadline, and less "half of salary" you're paying out.

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

This.

Like you said, the cap hit could prove prohibitive.  The salary can certainly be worked around.

But a second or third pairing on a contender with some power play ability?  Yeah, you'll have takers at the deadline provided they have cap room.   I don't think that I move him now, though.   I mean, if you get someone who wants to dance and you're getting something of value (even picks, prospects better) in return, then you do it.   I just think the return will be better closer to the deadline, and less "half of salary" you're paying out.

I have no problem with them holding on to Streit until the deadline and moving him if they are out. But if they are in, he's not going anywhere in February. 

Archived