Game #31- Flyers at Red Wings - Dec 11, 2016 @ 5:00

AlaskaFlyerFan

1 hour ago, icehole said:

I agree.  During this streak, he's gone from looking like a scared kid to looking like he wants to get creative and use his ability. The pass to Schenn was an easy pass, but so many times I've seen a guy just take that shot or pass in the skates.  The way that game was going, I don't think a shot from there was the right choice so I'm glad he made the pass for a great play by schenn. 

Looked like Schenn could have passed to Provorov OR Simmonds and they had open net. But he scored so no matter.

Plus Provorov learned how to skate over 9 games! 

9 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I thought Stolarz looked shaky when shots actually made it through to him over the first two periods or so, but then really settled in and was locked in when the Flyers needed it most late in the game. The top line was pretty dominant again, even though they were held off the board. I'm not sure I like the second line as currently set up,  though they were better today than over the last couple games. 

Might have been a little, position-wise, but even when he didn't save the puck clean, there were few, if any juicy rebounds. He was very soft and was able to manage pucks that he didn't quite control the first time.

I thought both teams did very well on the PK, particularly Detroit, shutting down what has been a VERY potent PP. not much to brag about when an opposing PK shuts down Detroit's pitiful PP. It is just plain awful right now.

I don't THINK Gudas knocked the net off its moorings on purpose on Larkin's goal, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did, as you are less than 10% likely to give up a PP goal. Nothing to fear there.

But you had to like Stolarz's game. He played well, for sure, giving almost nothing for Vanek of Mantha to clean up.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Looked like Schenn could have passed to Provorov OR Simmonds and they had open net. But he scored so no matter.

Plus Provorov learned how to skate over 9 games! 

You're questioning the choice of schenn to take it himself to score?  If he would have passed it, would that count as 2 goals?  Making a pass is always a risk.  A stick could always come out of nowhere, the receiver of the pass has to be able to control the puck, the puck could roll, he could shoot it high or wide.  All schenn had to do is move around the goalie and he had a slam dunk.

I know you're trying to be a funny guy, but your second statement is partially true.  And wow...don't I feel stupid.  I was way off when I said that provorov was making some mistakes but is getting better.  It's clearly obvious his game was flawless the second he touched the ice.

Provorov is now referred to as a defenseman that is way beyond his years in ability.  He has the ability to make plays that 19 year olds don't make.  Can we set the bar for him at the 25 year old star that he's likened to?  Or when I criticize somthing in his game, am I going to get the "he's only a 19 year old rookie"?  

If you've noticed, I haven't thrown out one criticism of him since the Chicago game when I said he stumbled which led to the first goal.  He was better then and he's even better now.  He's getting better and better each game.  Can we stop with the "hehe...I guess he can't skate right" and after he does something good "I guess he suks".  The "I told you so...I was right" BS doesn't even make sense and is pretty childish if you ask me. 

4 hours ago, icehole said:

I agree.  During this streak, he's gone from looking like a scared kid to looking like he wants to get creative and use his ability. The pass to Schenn was an easy pass, but so many times I've seen a guy just take that shot or pass in the skates.  The way that game was going, I don't think a shot from there was the right choice so I'm glad he made the pass for a great play by schenn. 

I don't think scared kid is the right phrase. I think he was tentative because he needed to get a feel for the game at the pro level. It was going to take time for him to get comfortable, but once he did, we were going to see an elite defender emerge and we're watching it become a reality now. He's the best defenseman on the team and he's the best by quite a bit. Hopefully we're witnessing a Hall Of Fame career with multiple Stanley Cups being hoisted in Philadelphia.

30 minutes ago, icehole said:

You're questioning the choice of schenn to take it himself to score?

No, I said he could have passed to either guy, they both had open nets. He scored, so it didn't matter. That's what I said. 

If he would have passed it, would that count as 2 goals?  

Huh? 

Making a pass is always a risk.  A stick could always come out of nowhere, the receiver of the pass has to be able to control the puck, the puck could roll, he could shoot it high or wide.  All schenn had to do is move around the goalie and he had a slam dunk.

Sure...or a stick could have come out of nowhere,  or he could have lost control,  the puck could have rolled on him, he could have shot high or wide. But it didn't.

I know you're trying to be a funny guy, but your second statement is partially true.  And wow...don't I feel stupid.  I was way off when I said that provorov was making some mistakes but is getting better.  It's clearly obvious his game was flawless the second he touched the ice.

Just yankin yer chain. 

Provorov is now referred to as a defenseman that is way beyond his years in ability.  He has the ability to make plays that 19 year olds don't make.  Can we set the bar for him at the 25 year old star that he's likened to?  Or when I criticize somthing in his game, am I going to get the "he's only a 19 year old rookie"?  

If you've noticed, I haven't thrown out one criticism of him since the Chicago game when I said he stumbled which led to the first goal.  He was better then and he's even better now.  He's getting better and better each game.  Can we stop with the "hehe...I guess he can't skate right" and after he does something good "I guess he suks".  The "I told you so...I was right" BS doesn't even make sense and is pretty childish if you ask me. 

In case you haven't noticed...people on here joke with each other. That's all I was doing... I apologize if you were offended. 

55 minutes ago, icehole said:

Making a pass is always a risk.  A stick could always come out of nowhere, the receiver of the pass has to be able to control the puck, the puck could roll, he could shoot it high or wide.

I'm going to stop teasing you about the whole Ivan can't skate thing, and start teasing you about this passage because it barely passes as drivel. :572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall:

23 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

No, I said he could have passed to either guy, they both had open nets. He scored, so it didn't matter. That's what I said. 

Huh? 

Sure...or a stick could have come out of nowhere,  or he could have lost control,  the puck could have rolled on him, he could have shot high or wide. But it didn't.

Just yankin yer chain. 

In case you haven't noticed...people on here joke with each other. That's all I was doing... I apologize if you were offended. 

I didn't mean to make it sound like I'm damaged by the comments and I can take it any more.  I can take a joke.  I'll tell you what, if anyone wants to take a little shot, do me a favor and tag me in the post?  That way I feel like it's a joke and not a behind the back gang up.  If you want to joke, I'd like to join in.  I don't think you're the main culprit of this, but I'm just throwing it out there.

17 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I'm going to stop teasing you about the whole Ivan can't skate thing, and start teasing you about this passage because it barely passes as drivel. :572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall:

For whatever it's worth, I kind of get what he's saying here.   I was surprised Schenn wasn't passing to Simmonds, in particular, who was standing there scratching himself waiting for the puck.   Simmonds himself seemed surprised.   But, a pass there does run the risk of all the bounces/interference @icehole described.   Maybe that played into it.  It's possible Schenn was thinking, "screw it. I got this."

Of course, keeping it presents some similar risks down that low.  A poke check, the puck rolling, being creamed by a defender, etc.   Whichever he did there it better work because we'd all be yelling asking why he didn't do the opposite.

18 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Tease away.  I was trying to say that I'll never fault a player for taking it himself and scoring.  If he didn't score and two guys have open nets, you could question it.  Did anything I say not make sense?

A nine game winning streak and good play by the team overall makes it a lot easier to take the generally good natured ribbing that goes on around here. Hell, I would not have missed Schenn(the good one) if he had been traded 2 years ago because of his soft and often uninterested play. That is crow I gladly eat this year and the end of last year for his improved play. Sometimes it takes players a little time to come around. Patience, something not often if ever practiced by Flyers fans......

Archived