11 Travis Konecny - 10 Brayden Schenn - 93 Jakub Voracek
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 P-E Bellemare - 13 Roman Lyubimov
25 Nick Cousins - Taylor Leier - 22 Dale Weise

9 Ivan Provorov - 47 Andrew MacDonald
32 Mark Streit - 3 Radko Gudas
15 Michael Del Zotto - 23 Brandon Manning

41 Anthony Stolarz
[35 Steve Mason]

Scratches: Nick Schultz (healthy), Sean Couturier (lower body, suspected left MCL),, Michal Neuvirth (IR, knee), Matt Read (IR, abdominal area), 53 Shayne Gostisbehere 27 Boyd Gordon

RED WINGS

21 Tomas Tatar - 40 Henrik Zetterberg - 39 Anthony Mantha
71 Dylan Larkin - 51 Frans Nielsen - 41 Luke Glendening
14 Gustav Nyquist - 15 Riley Sheahan - 62 Thomas Vanek
72 Andreas Athanasiou - 29 Steve Ott - 26 Tomas Jurco

65 Dan DeKeyser - 25 Mike Green
55 Niklas Kronwall - 61 Xavier Ouellet
23 Brian Lashoff - 53 Aleksey Marchenko

35 Jimmy Howard
[34 Petr Mrazek]

Scratches: Ryan Sproul (healthy), Jonathan Ericsson (healthy), Drew Miller (healthy), Justin Abdelkader (knee), Darren Helm (shoulder), Tyler Bertuzzi (high ankle sprain) and defenseman Brendan Smith (knee), Joe Vitale (LTIR, concussion), Johan Franzén (LTIR, post-concussion syndrome).

Indeed. On the whole quite a tense game- plenty of good shots and Stolarz shone in the goals. The last time they've gone 9 in a row was 1995, and after this game they really look like they need the two days off before the next game.

Flyers move into a 3-way tie, points wise, for first in the Metro.  They show as third by virtue of number of games played (Pens & Rags have played less) and regulation wins (Rags).  Two weeks ago they were outside the playoff positions.  What a run this team is on! 

EDIT:  Rags won their game and take over first place. 

Just now, Howie58 said:

My big takeaway is Stolarz.  We have seen two good efforts. He seems really poised and grounded.  

Let's go Flyers!

Hhhhhmmmmm i know it's only 2 starts but he could push Neuvy out the door.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing.

I would love to see the organeyezhation develop and retain a goalie.  Candidly, I think Neuvy will not be retained.  He is too injury prone.  It will be interesting to see what develops, but if Stolarz plays well in another start or two, that would seal the deal.  

I thought Stolarz looked shaky when shots actually made it through to him over the first two periods or so, but then really settled in and was locked in when the Flyers needed it most late in the game. The top line was pretty dominant again, even though they were held off the board. I'm not sure I like the second line as currently set up,  though they were better today than over the last couple games. 

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Brayden Schenn is on FIYA!!!!

First 9 game win streak of 2016-17!!!

Flyers 1st since 1995! Wow!!!

Trade everyone NOW their value will be no higher!!!

Obviously Haks baked a cake 9 games ago and we are reaping the benefits.

Rebound control was iffy. He was generally in position, but the early saves were awkward. Not unexpected when he'd sat out 7 straight and wasn't facing a lot of shots in his 3rd NHL game. He was solid when it mattered.

Both teams skated well.  Penalty kill was good too.  Stolarz looked sold and followed the play and puck well. 

It's hard to figure out the gel factor. We just have to accept it.  Remember, next month it could be nine losses.  Meanwhile, Schenn is earning his keep.  On the other hand, Weise seems to contribute little (he does skate well).  

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I thought Stolarz looked shaky when shots actually made it through to him over the first two periods or so, but then really settled in and was locked in when the Flyers needed it most late in the game.

I agree with both parts.  So, do you figure the first two periods were rust/nerves?

Provorov had turned the corner now and I expect his game to really take off now. He's comfortable, he's playing with a lot of confidence and I think we're witnessing a true number one defender develop before our eyes. People have mentioned Timonen as a comparison, but he's looking more and more like Drew Doughty and Ryan Suter. What a beaut.

6 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Provorov had turned the corner now and I expect his game to really take off now. He's comfortable, he's playing with a lot of confidence and I think we're witnessing a true number one defender develop before our eyes. People have mentioned Timonen as a comparison, but he's looking more and more like Drew Doughty and Ryan Suter. What a beaut.

I agree.  During this streak, he's gone from looking like a scared kid to looking like he wants to get creative and use his ability. The pass to Schenn was an easy pass, but so many times I've seen a guy just take that shot or pass in the skates.  The way that game was going, I don't think a shot from there was the right choice so I'm glad he made the pass for a great play by schenn. 

6 hours ago, off_the_post said:

I'm going to give some props to the 76/78/13 line.  I've not looked at any advanced stats but my eye test tells me they are playing well together. 

Everyone is playing a role.  Those guys don't do much that we can see, but they very responsible.  As long as they don't make mistakes, and the key players are producing, it's all good.  My problem with those types of players is when the key players are in a slump, those players don't seem to step up.  Hopefully we don't see many slumps.

Archived