Game #33 - Flyers at Stars - Dec 17, 2016 @ 2:00pm

AlaskaFlyerFan

41 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

19-10 is not really horrible.  Anything before that is too early to really judge them on.  The big winning streak might just be what gets them in in a tough race.  Columbus is on fire.  Will be interesting to see what happens tonight in Edmonton

19 -11 (now) isn't horrible. The start they got off to was. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Next game? Sure.

Alternate? Hell no. That works for no starting goalie. And then we'll be back to no confidence Mason. 

I do think they've been playing Mason too much, and that's going to have to stop. But alternating will just destroy Mason. He's a guy who has to play.

Why not alternate? They have Nash. Which Stolie could play then back to back Caps play Mase and then NJD play Stolie then a break.

Then the Blues 1st game back and then Neuvy should be ready i think.

Alternating ain't going to crack Mase. 

And if it does i'd rather know. It would be a red flag for sure when it comes to resigning.

But i don't believe in coddling.

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Why not alternate? They have Nash. Which Stolie could play then back to back Caps play Mase and then NJD play Stolie then a break.

Then the Blues 1st game back and then Neuvy should be ready i think.

Alternating ain't going to crack Mase. 

And if it does i'd rather know. It would be a red flag for sure when it comes to resigning.

But i don't believe in coddling.

Name one team who alternates a #1 goalie with a backup?

I didn't get to see the game either, but watched the highlights here.   Niemi had a great game as the Flyers had numerous quality rushes and shots on net.  If Provorov nails one of those two shots that hit the post / crossbar --- this game goes to OT.  

There is no fault to Mason in this game.  He'll be out there on Monday vs Nashville.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

There is no fault to Mason in this game.

I wouldn't go that far. Mason's rebound control was non-existent yesterday. Shot after shot bounced off him and went back into play. Thankfully the Flyers' Team D has improved quite a bit lately otherwise this would've been a shellacking.

Mason wasn't the reason they lost but he certainly contributed to it. Who knows, a few more stoppages where the guys get to rest instead of scramble...maybe that makes a difference in the end.

24 minutes ago, canoli said:

I wouldn't go that far. Mason's rebound control was non-existent yesterday. Shot after shot bounced off him and went back into play. Thankfully the Flyers' Team D has improved quite a bit lately otherwise this would've been a shellacking.

Mason wasn't the reason they lost but he certainly contributed to it. Who knows, a few more stoppages where the guys get to rest instead of scramble...maybe that makes a difference in the end.

He had only a couple of bad rebounds, most of them appeared to be steered towards his d-men. Mason doesn't deserve to take the blame for this at all. Niemi should be credited with stealing this game. It is a lot easier to watch them lose a game when that amount of effort is shown. Time to kick off the next winning streak in Nashville. And yes, Roussel is still a grade a douchebag.

4 hours ago, canoli said:

He struggled with it last game gave up 2 goals off his nasty rebounds.

They despite him. The Dallas game caugt up to him.

8 hours ago, hf101 said:

I didn't get to see the game either, but watched the highlights here.   Niemi had a great game as the Flyers had numerous quality rushes and shots on net.  If Provorov nails one of those two shots that hit the post / crossbar --- this game goes to OT.  

There is no fault to Mason in this game.  He'll be out there on Monday vs Nashville.

The first Dallas goal Mason would like to have back.  Not a good rebound.   But otherwise, he kept the Flyers in the game in stretches. 

Eh, you're going to lose some.  They played well enough they could have won.  They didn't.  I'll take  it and move on. 

There is no reason to alternate goalies.  That i can think of, only two teams do it:  Dallas (because both goalies suck)  and Pittsburgh (because a young goalie is stealing #1 from an expensive vet. The rotation won't last in Pittsburgh-s case. 

No reason to do it with a #1 and an emergency call up.   Play one of the back to backs?   Sure.   But not a steady alternation.  You're only going to badly mess up Mason, who doesn't do well in goalie competition. 

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

The first Dallas goal Mason would like to have back.  Not a good rebound.

He has struggled more than that.

MasonSave_12_17.gif

It just hadn't cost them a game yet (and it wasn't the only reason they lost but it didn't help.

FaksaGoal_12_17.gif

As others have said a goalie rotation is a bad idea.  I certainly don't want a situation like last year where Mason played every game down the stretch and got burnt out by the start of the Playoffs.  But I think Stolarz has at least shown them that they wouldn't have to go that route if either Mason or Neuvy were to go down towards the end of the year.       

On 12/18/2016 at 7:34 AM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I am officially the Flyers BAD luck charm.  

I went to the Black Friday game and the boys lost.  Then they go on a 10 game winning streak until I jinxed them by going to the game yesterday.

I promise not to go to anymore Flyers games this year

Please, keep watching! The Pens will love you for it!:thumbsu:

5 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Please, keep watching! The Pens will love you for it!:thumbsu:

Watching isn't the problem.  It's going to the games!

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Hey @AlaskaFlyerFan, have you tried going to Penguins games?

No because I couldn't even fake being a Penguins fan without getting sick to my stomach!!

Archived