Game #33 - Flyers at Stars - Dec 17, 2016 @ 2:00pm

AlaskaFlyerFan

Lucky you. I'll be out of town visiting relatives for Christmas.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-121716--DAL/45/81424

Ivan Provorov and Travis Konecny are beginning to earn Dave Hakstol's trust in overtime

Projected Lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS (Saturday's lines)

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
11 Travis Konecny - 10 Brayden Schenn - 93 Jakub Voracek
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 P-E Bellemare - 13 Roman Lyubimov
58 Taylor Leier - 25 Nick Cousins - 22 Dale Weise

9 Ivan Provorov - 47 Andrew MacDonald
15 Michael Del Zotto- 3 Radko Gudas
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 23 Brandon Manning

35 Steve Mason
[41 Anthony Stolarz]

Scratches: Sean Couturier (lower body, suspected left MCL), Michal Neuvirth (IR, knee), Matt Read (IR, abdominal area), Mark Streit (shoulder), Boyd Gordon (healthy).

STARS

14 Jamie Benn - 91 Tyler Seguin - 18 Patrick Eaves
38 Lauri Korpikoski - 90 Jason Spezza - 22 Jiri Hudler
21 Antoine Roussel - 12 Radek Faksa - 25 Brett Ritchie
11 Curtis McKenzie - 17 Devin Shore - 17Adam Cracknell

23 Esa Lindell - 3 John Klingberg
2 Dan Hamhuis - 28 Stephen Johns
47 Johnny Oduya - 24 Jordie Benn

31 Antti Niemi
[32 Kari Lehtonen]

Scratches: Patrik Nemeth (healthy), Jamie Oleksiak (healthy), Cody Eakin (NHL suspension), Patrick Sharp (IR, suspected concussion), Mattias Janmark (IR, knee surgery), Ales Hemsky (IR, hip).

Go Flyers make it 11 in a row.......

Each of these games is a test of "The New Flyers."  It is a test of skill and character.  

The really interesting tidbit that's discussed on the Tube and the NHL Channels (Sirius and TV) is the strength of the Metropolitan Division relative to the league.  We are ripping their collective arses open.  Last night's twin losses (Pitt and Rangers) were rarities. The Flyers play a huge chunk of the remaining schedule against the Met.  So I hope we make hay while the sun shines today vs. Dallas.  

Let's go Flyers!

With regard to Schenn maybe all the constant shuffling around has helped him as both a motivator and for learning the responsibilities of the other positions in the Hakstol scheme.  

Finally, I think he looks good at the pivot, there have been flashes in the past, notably that two-week span when he was centering Simmonds and VanReimsdyk. I know that was a long time and two coaches ago, but I've really liked him in the 2c slot.  I think he's seeing the ice well, I think he has an idea how to make plays and he seems motivated to be a creator/facilitator when he's on the ice.  I don't see him taking his stick for a skate nearly as much as he has in the past.  I'm not saying he was floating or not putting out effort, just if the play wasn't coming to him he wasn't pursuing it. Now I see him knowing how to effect the game.  It's been nice to watch.  Maybe he have found our 2c....just think when Rubstov comes over how we'll look down the middle.  *giddy*

I think when the Flyers finally lose again, it won't be until they travel to San Jose on Dec. 30th. Dallas will give the Flyers a ton of chances against Niemi (plus we still owe that guy for 2010 ; )  ). The Stars give up too many opportunities, and I think the Flyers will put their D to the test early. Simmonds gets a couple of goals on the power play, Giroux with a couple of assists. Flyers win, 5-3.

18 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Didn't see any of the game. From the stats line it looks like the Flyers ran into a hot goalie.

Provorov hit a post and a crossbar in the 3rd. 

The Stars played very well for about 25 minutes in the middle of the game and that was what won it for them.

It was a good game, really good pace to it, not very many whistles it seemed. 

The Stars deserved the result, had the Flyers gotten a break here or there and they'd have deserved a W as well. 

I can't really complain too much about the result. 

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Provorov hit a post and a crossbar in the 3rd. 

The Stars played very well for about 25 minutes in the middle of the game and that was what won it for them.

It was a good game, really good pace to it, not very many whistles it seemed. 

The Stars deserved the result, had the Flyers gotten a break here or there and they'd have deserved a W as well. 

I can't really complain too much about the result. 

After the Stars scored their second goal I thought the Flyers out work them for the last 15 minutes of the third. The play stayed down in the Flyers end.  

A couple observations:

Leier needs to bulk up.  He looked tiny out there.

The Flyers look to have another gear and they displayed it in the 3rd period.  They were winning the loose pucks and the 50/50 pucks.  I couldn't believe they didn't score in the 3rd.  I'd like to see that kind of effort for a full 60.

oh yeah, Roussell is a douche bag.

6 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

not that it affected the outcome much, but a couple of those calls by the referees were absurd: the icing, the too-much-man penalty, the slashing penalty they gave then took away...

Yeah, I couldn't believe some of the calls. There were icings that weren't called and the icing on the flyers that was called  that shouldn't have been. When they called it too many men penalty I thought it was on the Stars because they actually had six men on the ice when the whistle was blown. I didn't see six flyers on the ice at that time.  Raffl questioned a non call in the first when the stars player drove him into the glass face first and then was holding him.   I agree with you though, none of those would have changed the outcome of the game. It would have been nice to see you haven't called correctly. 

It sucks that they lost but it was bound to happen.

With that said i would start Stolie next game and alternate for 2 reasons.

1 to give Mase some rest still a lot of season and games to be played.

2 they need to utilize this time to evaluate weather or not Stolie is ready to back Mase up and if so move Neuvy while you can to prepare for rhe future.

My reasoning is because if Stolie is ready i would sign why you can and find another goalie if possible to expose (he could play and backup Lyons in the mean time and for next year too maybe) and sign Mase later after the season.

I wonder if Oulette could/would be an option on a two way deal next year with intentions of backing up Mase?

Might not met the enough games in the AHL portion.

Anyways i want to see Stolie somemore.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

2 they need to utilize this time to evaluate weather or not Stolie is ready to back Mase up and if so move Neuvy while you can to prepare for rhe future.

My reasoning is because if Stolie is ready i would sign why you can and find another goalie if possible to expose (he could play and backup Lyons in the mean time and for next year too maybe) and sign Mase later after the season.

I wonder if Oulette could/would be an option on a two way deal next year with intentions of backing up Mase?

Makes sense.  My Sabres have never wavered from alternating goalies and to me its a mistake not to in back to back nights especially.  Carolina were very lucky  to survive that game last night.  They play Cam Ward every freakin night.  No trust in anyone else.  Given they are now playing Devils hockey, the trap, why?  It came back to haunt them in an 8-6 loss to Vancouver of all teams.  Ridiculous.  I am surprised Mason has lasted as long as he has and has turned into a starter.  Remember when he first arrived in Philly?  They had a revolving door and of course now in hindsight they probably wish they had kept Bobrovsky?  But Mason has really panned out for them.  He is not the reason they lose when they lose and they have not lost very often of late.  You guys should be doing cartwheels given the talent they have.  I still do not think they can keep it up.  We will see.  I just think that like one Islander announcer once said, you can play and win on emotion and coaching and desire for a while, but eventually talent is going to be needed.  The Flyers like my Sabres need a few more pieces to the puzzle to be in the conversation with even the Capitals or Rangers.

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Next game? Sure.

Alternate? Hell no. That works for no starting goalie. And then we'll be back to no confidence Mason. 

I do think they've been playing Mason too much, and that's going to have to stop. But alternating will just destroy Mason. He's a guy who has to play.

7 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Makes sense.  My Sabres have never wavered from alternating goalies and to me its a mistake not to in back to back nights especially.  Carolina were very lucky  to survive that game last night.  They play Cam Ward every freakin night.  No trust in anyone else.  Given they are now playing Devils hockey, the trap, why?  It came back to haunt them in an 8-6 loss to Vancouver of all teams.  Ridiculous.  I am surprised Mason has lasted as long as he has and has turned into a starter.  Remember when he first arrived in Philly?  They had a revolving door and of course now in hindsight they probably wish they had kept Bobrovsky?  But Mason has really panned out for them.  He is not the reason they lose when they lose and they have not lost very often of late.  You guys should be doing cartwheels given the talent they have.  I still do not think they can keep it up.  We will see.  I just think that like one Islander announcer once said, you can play and win on emotion and coaching and desire for a while, but eventually talent is going to be needed.  The Flyers like my Sabres need a few more pieces to the puzzle to be in the conversation with even the Capitals or Rangers.

Paragraphs would be nice Rick.

Nothing wrong with alternating goalies on back to backs. Doing it on a regular basis will just piss off your starter.

The Bob ship has sailed. Yes Homer screwed up. That's pretty old news around here.

The Flyers have talent. They just need a bit more depth on the 3rd and 4th lines,.. and D. The D is coming in Sanheim/Morin/Myers. Once those guys are ready Philly should be icing one of the best defences in the NHL  They're already one of the top scoring teams in the entire league...even with that horrible start to the year. 

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Paragraphs would be nice Rick.

Nothing wrong with alternating goalies on back to backs. Doing it on a regular basis will just piss off your starter.

The Bob ship has sailed. Yes Homer screwed up. That's pretty old news around here.

The Flyers have talent. They just need a bit more depth on the 3rd and 4th lines,.. and D. The D is coming in Sanheim/Morin/Myers. Once those guys are ready Philly should be icing one of the best defences in the NHL  They're already one of the top scoring teams in the entire league...even with that horrible start to the year. 

19-10 is not really horrible.  Anything before that is too early to really judge them on.  The big winning streak might just be what gets them in in a tough race.  Columbus is on fire.  Will be interesting to see what happens tonight in Edmonton

Archived