What does Weiss do that Colin McDonald could not?

off_the_post

So, trying not to pile on to Weiss (though the last time I did he scored), but after watching Colin McDonald get a few games in the playoffs last year why couldn't he have taken Weiss' role on the Flyers?  Both have size, both shoot right.  Surely McDonald would have put up similar numbers as Weiss so far on the Flyers and not cost the Flyers a 4 year contract?

Perhaps Weiss is a better skater? 

@off_the_post

that's a great question.  I liked Colin McDonald when he was with the big club last year. I agree that production-wise he's probably a wash with Dale Weisse, and is cheaper.  So far Weisse hasn't played with much sandpaper, at least when I've been watching, and that's one of the reasons I thought the signing was a good one. We were getting a guy with decent hands, but we were getting a guy that was hard to play against...so far I haven't seen it from him.

I wonder if Colin McDonald is a valuable mentor for the phantoms and he's better for the organization showing the young guys how to be pros.  If that's the case that's kind of a ****** reward for having good leadership skills.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I wonder if Colin McDonald is a valuable mentor for the phantoms and he's better for the organization showing the young guys how to be pros.

They lead the AHL in wins so yeah i would say yeah. But it isn't just him.

It's the combo of Hexy adding some great firepower to the talent already down there.

I mean Brennan is leading all defenseman in goals with 10.

Lyons leads all goalies in wins with 13!

And Greg Carey leads the AHL in goals with 14!!!

And the Phantoms have the most wins with 20!!!

Say what you want aboot Hexy but that is a tri fecta!!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I mean Brennan is leading all defenseman in goals with 10.

Lyons leads all goalies in wins with 13!

And Greg Carey leads the AHL in goals with 14!!!

And the Phantoms have the most wins with 20!!!

Say what you want aboot Hexy but that is a tri fecta!!!!!!!!

i-do-not-think-it-means-what-you-think-i

:zorro:

Putting aside Colin McDonald (whom I honestly don't know much about AND he is relegated to the minors right now), I think the BETTER question here would be :

What can Dale Weise do that Ryan White could not?

My answer: Not a heck of a whole lot...if anything.

TBH, I never saw the logic in signing a guy like Weise by the Flyers when they had essentially the SAME player in Ryan White already.

Similar size, similar age/experience, similar position (Weise is strictly a winger, White, I believe can shuffle between C and W).....Weise ALLEGEDLY brings more offense to the table, and I think THAT is the kool aid Hextall may have bought into when signing him.

Weise had about two nice seasons (for a bottom six guy mind you) in Montreal, but outside of that, he had been pure bottom six grinder. Nothing more, nothing less.

He sorta pretended to be a top nine or even a top six guy at times, but THAT he is not.

Ryan White was at least an honest-to-goodness 3rd or 4th liner (and the Coyotes are VERY happy with him), never pretended nor was portrayed as anything else than what he was.

So Weise has a tad more production (in the past) than White.

Big deal.

White provides the extras that apparently Weise does not: that is, he is harder to play against on the bottom six, he will, hit, hit, hit much more than Weise, and costs less on the cap hit to do so.

Meanwhile, if you want to throw away past accomplishments (if we can call Weise's past an 'accomplishment'...that's kinda funny right there), and simply focus on what both have done THIS year....well, then, there goes any advantage Weise has over White, as both have been producing at almost identical levels.

Difference being, again, White costs less, is on a shorter term than Weise, and White was never expected to do much more than he has, while Weise was expected, somehow, to be a contributor in production.

Also, White has higher PIMs, which you can look at it two different ways:  White does dumber things on the ice than Weise or White, while not always taking good penalties, also gets called for some rough stuff, which Weise tends to shy away from doing...unless its a smaller non aggressive player who Weise thinks won't be able to hurt him.

Well, slugs generally don't contribute much. And slugs don't look for confrontation if they think there is a good chance of push back.

Weise is a slug.

White may not be much better in terms of production, but I will take him any day, as a no frills bottom six guys with genuine aggression over a pretending slug who uses smoke n mirrors to pretend he is something he is not, any day of the week.

I think the Weise signing is a misstep for GM Ron Hextall, who has, so far, done a nice job cleaning up the former GM's myriad of messes.

Weisse has not played bad but he has not been noticeable for good play either. On the bright side, they don't have to worry about protecting him from the expansion draft......"Always look on the bright side of life"....

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I think the Weise signing is a misstep for GM Ron Hextall, who has, so far, done a nice job cleaning up the former GM’s myriad of messes.

I agree with you 100%. I don’t see the value in Weise (which means wise in German… oh so close to Weiss, which means white) over Ryan White, who from all reports, really LOVED being a Flyer and wanted to be here. He had plenty of sandpaper and stuck up for his teammates.

I wonder if Hextall would consider waiving Weise, and if someone would pick him up? He’s got value, I’m just not sure it’s in Philly.

He could also be included in a trade package as a throw in. His contract is certainly movable.

Howdy:

I read this post earlier today.  This acquisition is viewed as a bust.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/five-significant-off-season-signings-who-have-yet-to-make-a-major-impact

I did not understand this pickup.  But... I am not GM.  By the way, Weise is fighting as we speak....maybe that is his value...because we haven't seen much else.

Archived