Game #36 - Flyers at Devils 12/22/2016

AJgoal

The Devils, who are 2-6-2 in their last 10 games, have struggled mightily on the road thus far (4-11-5) this season but have usually taken care of business on home ice (8-2-2).

New Jersey enters this game coming off a 5-1 road loss to the Nashville Predators on Tuesday. A late goal by Sergey Kalinin averted a shutout. Cory Schneider stopped 27 of 32 shots.

Travis Zajac leads the Devils in scoring with 23 points (eight goals, 15 assists) in 32 games. He is followed by ballyhooed offseason acquisition Taylor Hall (eight goals, 12 assists in 24 games), Mike Cammalleri (nine goals, nine assists in 26 games), Adam Henrique (seven goals, 10 assists) and defenseman Damon Severson (three goals, 14 assists, minus-16).

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 3.03 (5th), Devils 2.28 (26th)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.89 (22nd), Devils 3.00 (25th)
Power play efficiency: Flyers 22.4% (5th), Devils 15.0% (25th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 83.0% (9th), Devils 82.7 (10th)
Shots on goal per game: Flyers 31.7 (5th), Devils 28.4 (26th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 29.1 (7th), Devils 31.9 (24th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 50.3% (12th), Devils 49.8% (13th)

Projected Lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
11 Travis Konecny - 10 Brayden Schenn - 17 Wayne Simmonds
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 P-E Bellemare - 13 Roman Lyubimov
58 Taylor Leier - 25 Nick Cousins - 22 Dale Weise

9 Ivan Provorov - 47 Andrew MacDonald
15 Michael Del Zotto- 3 Radko Gudas
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 23 Brandon Manning

35 Steve Mason
[41 Anthony Stolarz]

Scratches: Sean Couturier (lower body, suspected left MCL), Michal Neuvirth (IR, knee), Matt Read (IR, abdominal area), Mark Streit (shoulder), Boyd Gordon (healthy), Nick Schultz (healthy).

DEVILS

9 Taylor Hall - 19 Travis Zajac - 13 Mike Cammalleri
44 Miles Wood - 14 Adam Henrique - 21 Kyle Palmieri
8 Beau Bennett - 37 Pavel Zacha - 11 P.A. Parenteau
51 Sergey Kalinin - 38 Vernon Fiddler - 36 Nick Lappin

6 Andy Greene - 12 Ben Lovejoy
7 Jon Merrill - 28 Damon Severson
2 John Moore - 22 Kyle Quincey

35 Cory Schneider
[1 Keith Kinkaid]

Scratches: Jacob Josefson (upper-body injury, questionable), Luke Gazdic (healthy), Devante Smith-Pelly (healthy).

I hope the Flyers go with Stolarz. I know they have almost a week before their next game, but there's no need to play Mason in the second half of the back to back.

I figured they would let the Jersey kid play since it is back to back games.

Kid had a shutout last game he played the only one this year for the Flyers and hasn't lost yet.

He deserves that and let Mase rest up.

That is my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I hope the Flyers go with Stolarz. I know they have almost a week before their next game, but there's no need to play Mason in the second half of the back to back.

I agree completely with this!  Let Stolarz get some time against the 'lowly' Devils.  He certainly hasn't given us a reason NOT to play him.

Even good teams lay an egg from time to time. The 1st goal was a strange deflection that nobody could stop. The second was our D's fault--nobody cleaned the porch. The third goal was a nice shot. I didn't watch the 3rd...we looked out-of-step and wasted.

For people who like old-time hockey, the fighting was entertaining...but Simmonds had better watch it...his hit in the numbers looked borderline cheap to me...and his penalties were stupid.  Stolarz looked responsible.  

I had the Devils feed on Center Ice.  The players were effectively balled out by the GM prior the game. And it's clear that Shero is not faulting his coach. Schneider is nearly a goal above his historic GAA.  We were tired. They were angry and embarrassed. 

It's time to recharge and reflect. Right now I worry about being 5 games further into the season than most of our Metro opponents. And they are hot...yikes, Scott Hartnell had a hat trick. We are in the middle of the pack despite winning 10 in a row.

Howie

5 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

.but Simmonds had better watch it...his hit in the numbers looked borderline cheap to me

My initial reaction was that Simmonds angle wasn't great but the Devil turned dangerously towards the boards from a dangerous distance away.  Either way I didn't really think much of it either way and glad it was only 2 minutes.  I think it looked worse than it was. 

They still should have played Stolie.

Not saying they would have won but at least this loss wouldn't be weighing on Mase's mind while he is trying to unwind and rest on Christmas.

He has fought hard and has play 18 out of the last 20 games and should have been given the night off and let the local boy play in front of his family and friends. Plus it was back to back. Perfect time.

C'mon Hak stop that schitt!

Let's celebrate Flyers Festivus with an Airing of Grievances

Oh well.

It was nice to see some old school Devils/Flyers last night. I was watching the Flyers feed and had to laugh when Therrien mentioned that John MacLean turned to him between the benches and said "We didn't treat each other like this, did we?".

20 hours ago, MadDevil said:

It was nice to see some old school Devils/Flyers last night. I was watching the Flyers feed and had to laugh when Therrien mentioned that John MacLean turned to him between the benches and said "We didn't treat each other like this, did we?".

I might be a certified Devils hater, but Schneider played one helluva game and the team earned that win. I forgot who it was that Simmonds hit into the boards but that was totally on the devil for turning at the last millisecond. Wayne was coming in shoulder to shoulder . Two minute call on that was the right call because it was still boarding. I think the Flyers were probably on the tired side after the game against the Caps the night before but the Devils did not resemble a team on a seven game losing streak either. Nice chippy game and happy to see some excitement again. I think the Flyers will not underestimate the Devils next time either.

6 hours ago, flyerrod said:

I might be a certified Devils hater, but Schneider played one helluva game and the team earned that win. I forgot who it was that Simmonds hit into the boards but that was totally on the devil for turning at the last millisecond. Wayne was coming in shoulder to shoulder . Two minute call on that was the right call because it was still boarding. I think the Flyers were probably on the tired side after the game against the Caps the night before but the Devils did not resemble a team on a seven game losing streak either. Nice chippy game and happy to see some excitement again. I think the Flyers will not underestimate the Devils next time either.

Yeah Lovejoy turned at the last second, so I wasn't that upset over that hit. I didn't like Simmonds going high on Merrill at the buzzer, but it was a chippy game so that's going to happen. As for the Devils, they immediately layed a compleye egg the next night, so I guess getting called out by the GM only results in a one game effort.:angry:

Archived