Philadelphia Flyers: Hot to Cold

NRH

Flyers are 4 points away from being the #3 pick this year's draft.  However, they are also 1 point away from making the playoffs and being the #8 seed.  This is exactly where they were predicted to be.  The ten game win streak got everyone's hopes sky high but in reality they are exactly where they should be:  Fighting for the 8th seed.   

I for one am okay with losing 60-70% of the remaining 34 games to finish 25-29 and grab a top 2-5 pick in the draft.  I don't think sneaking into the playoffs playing a little better than .500 hockey is good for the team right now.   Hakstol and Hextall should be having discussions about who should be on this team moving forward.   Hakstol should also be focusing on solidifying lines that will work after this year if possible.   Flyers have 10 picks in the first 7 rounds of the draft.    If they are picking in the top 5 there are some good young players (Centers/LWers) available that could really being helpful on this team in 2-4 years when players like Girioux are going to need reduced roles.  

Here's what I would like to see happen:

1. Gone after this year are (if you can trade them at the deadline, do so):  Schultz, Streit, VandeVelde, Neuvirth  - $9m
  2. Hopefully gone after this year are (trade, draft or buyout):   Read, MacDonald, Weise, Raffl - $7-9m depending
  3. Go out and get a left winger.  Flyers have assets that can be traded now.  It's only fair to Giroux to give him someone to play with.  They are going to have to part with at least 1 of their young dmen and goalies.  And probably going to have to throw in a roster player or two.  But that's why they stock piled assets.    So to get a stud LWer that can score I'd be willing to part with a goalie not named Hart or Lyon.  A dman not named Sanheim or Morin.  And if it takes a roster player I would be okay with trading Couturier, Schenn or Cousins depending on the return.   ***I'm not saying trade all of those players, just listing who would be on the table to get back a true first line LWer.

Lines for next year and then I would start drafting to replace aging players (like Hextall is doing currently):

New LWer - Giroux - Jake

Konecny  -   Schenn  -  Simmonds

Cousins - Couturier - AHL Player

Lyubimov - Bellemare - AHL Player

Provorov - Gudas

Ghost - Del Zotto

Sanheim - Hagg

Morin

Mason

Lyon/Stolarz

/end rant.

I agree. I would even consider trading Giroux. I love the guy, ever since he put up monster numbers in junior one playoff year. However, I think his best is behind him and by the time the re-tooling is complete he will be way past his prime. He could fetch a pretty return right now and give him a cup run or 2 with a contender. It's all about managing your assets. I would be very disappointed with the GM if he made moves involving picks or AHLers just to finish 8th.

6 hours ago, Digityman said:

Flyers are 4 points away from being the #3 pick this year's draft.  However, they are also 1 point away from making the playoffs and being the #8 seed.  This is exactly where they were predicted to be.  The ten game win streak got everyone's hopes sky high but in reality they are exactly where they should be:  Fighting for the 8th seed.   

I for one am okay with losing 60-70% of the remaining 34 games to finish 25-29 and grab a top 2-5 pick in the draft.  I don't think sneaking into the playoffs playing a little better than .500 hockey is good for the team right now.   Hakstol and Hextall should be having discussions about who should be on this team moving forward.   Hakstol should also be focusing on solidifying lines that will work after this year if possible.   Flyers have 10 picks in the first 7 rounds of the draft.    If they are picking in the top 5 there are some good young players (Centers/LWers) available that could really being helpful on this team in 2-4 years when players like Girioux are going to need reduced roles.  

1. Gone after this year are (if you can trade them at the deadline, do so):  Schultz, Streit, VandeVelde, Neuvirth  - $9m
  2. Hopefully gone after this year are (trade, draft or buyout):   Read, MacDonald, Weise, Raffl - $7-9m depending
  3. Go out and get a left winger.  Flyers have assets that can be traded now.  It's only fair to Giroux to give him someone to play with.  They are going to have to part with at least 1 of their young dmen and goalies.  And probably going to have to throw in a roster player or two.  But that's why they stock piled assets.    So to get a stud LWer that can score I'd be willing to part with a goalie not named Hart or Lyon.  A dman not named Sanheim or Morin.  And if it takes a roster player I would be okay with trading Couturier, Schenn or Cousins depending on the return.   ***I'm not saying trade all of those players, just listing who would be on the table to get back a true first line LWer.

Lines for next year and then I would start drafting to replace aging players (like Hextall is doing currently):

New LWer - Giroux - Jake

Provorov - Gudas

Ghost - Del Zotto

Sanheim - Hagg

Morin

Mason

Lyon/Stolarz

/end rant.

I agree, if the Flyers are going to miss the playoffs, I want them to miss the playoffs by a big margin and get a top 5 pick. I don't want them just to miss making the playoffs.

I'm all in on the "if you're going to stink, go big" idea. Barely missing the playoffs doesn't do much good.  

Agreed

1. Hopefully gone after this year are (trade, draft or buyout):   Read, MacDonald, Weise, Raffl - $7-9m depending

Agreed

1. Go out and get a left winger.  Flyers have assets that can be traded now.  It's only fair to Giroux to give him someone to play with.  They are going to have to part with at least 1 of their young dmen and goalies.  And probably going to have to throw in a roster player or two.  But that's why they stock piled assets.    So to get a stud LWer that can score I'd be willing to part with a goalie not named Hart or Lyon.  A dman not named Sanheim or Morin.  And if it takes a roster player I would be okay with trading Couturier, Schenn or Cousins depending on the return.   ***I'm not saying trade all of those players, just listing who would be on the table to get back a true first line LWer.

I'd rather not trade Myers or Sandstrom until we know what we have. It would be typical Flyers to deal them and have Myers win a Norris and Sandstrom a Vezina while both carry the cup...for the islanders!  :bonkingheadonwall:

New LWer - Giroux - Jake

Provorov - Gudas

Ghost - Del Zotto

Sanheim - Hagg

Morin

Mason

Lyon/Stolarz

/end rant.

On 1/25/2017 at 5:29 PM, flyercanuck said:

I'd rather not trade Myers or Sandstrom until we know what we have. It would be typical Flyers to deal them and have Myers win a Norris and Sandstrom a Vezina while both carry the cup...for the islanders

It's a great point and I'd tend to agree however at some point we are going to have to part ways with some of these young guys if we want something good in return.

20 minutes ago, Digityman said:

It's a great point and I'd tend to agree however at some point we are going to have to part ways with some of these young guys if we want something good in return.

It's not the deal it's the return.

Everybody should be available for the right deal. Everybody.

Trading Myers for a Seidenberg or a Sandstrom for Halak or both of them for a Cal Clutterbuck would be a "typical Flyer move" that, yes, we've seen too too much of (*cough* Justin Williams for Danny Markov *cough*)**.

Trading Myers and Sandstrom for Tavares maybe not so much? Obviously that's not going to happen, but I'll wager @flyercanuck just might be willing to part with those two under those circumstances or something similar...

The Flyers have a lot of young defensive and goaltending and really need scoring help in the Top Six. Sometimes you need to deal from your depth to fill holes.

Again, not about making a move but rather making the right move, if it comes along.

** sorry, I think that's from Markov's smoking...

37 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I'd just like to wait a bit longer and see if they both pan out as starters. You won't get a lot for either at this point, because goalies that aren't top ten starters just don't, and Sanheim, though a terrific prospect is just that at this stage of his career. 

Plus I'm still thinking I'd like to see Philly start a new trend...where you roll out pairing after pairing of very good defence who can take care of both ends of the ice. 

Maybe that winger isn't so important anymore.

25 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd just like to wait a bit longer and see if they both pan out as starters. You won't get a lot for either at this point, because goalies that aren't top ten starters just don't, and Sanheim, though a terrific prospect is just that at this stage of his career. 

Plus I'm still thinking I'd like to see Philly start a new trend...where you roll out pairing after pairing of very good defence who can take care of both ends of the ice. 

Maybe that winger isn't so important anymore.

I agree with a lot of what I'm reading about goalies and D-men, and it's all based on young guys developing. When you draft in the sneak into the playoffs position year after year its a crap shoot if guys develop into NHL stars. These teams since 2010 really do nothing for me, I would rather lose big for a year or 3 and be a stud team for 10, as opposed to being boring and mediocre for 10 more. I rarely watch pro hockey anymore, I live in a major junior market in Ontario and go to as many games as I can.

36 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

I agree with a lot of what I'm reading about goalies and D-men, and it's all based on young guys developing. When you draft in the sneak into the playoffs position year after year its a crap shoot if guys develop into NHL stars. These teams since 2010 really do nothing for me, I would rather lose big for a year or 3 and be a stud team for 10, as opposed to being boring and mediocre for 10 more. I rarely watch pro hockey anymore, I live in a major junior market in Ontario and go to as many games as I can.

Where abouts are you?

On 1/25/2017 at 11:04 AM, flyer4ever said:

I agree. I would even consider trading Giroux. I love the guy, ever since he put up monster numbers in junior one playoff year. However, I think his best is behind him and by the time the re-tooling is complete he will be way past his prime. He could fetch a pretty return right now and give him a cup run or 2 with a contender. It's all about managing your assets. I would be very disappointed with the GM if he made moves involving picks or AHLers just to finish 8th.

I have felt this way for a couple years now. They need to either treat him or get some other high caliber players around him very soon; not just because of his age, but I think he's the kind of guy who benefits from  not being the man.

54 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

I have felt this way for a couple years now. They need to either treat him or get some other high caliber players around him very soon; not just because of his age, but I think he's the kind of guy who benefits from  not being the man.

I'm afraid if "everything goes through G" that it's too easy to shut down. 

He needs someone else that's grabbing attention like a Jagr or even Hartnell. 

Goal scorers. It's why he's so effective with Simmonds. He makes Simmonds a 25-30 goal guy instead of a 20-25 goal guy. Much like Hartnell.

He's not a vaunted finisher. And neither is Voracek. They are playmakers. And the thing about playmakers is they often need someone to finish the play.

Giroux is a type of player who makes other players better - and he's really good at it. But they need a 25-30 goal guy he can possibly lift to 35-40.

On 1/27/2017 at 0:24 PM, radoran said:

** sorry, I think that's from Markov's smoking...

Forgetting about the trade that brought him here, he was a blue collar player if there ever was one.  

A smoke in one hand, a 5th of vodka in the other....

42 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Forgetting about the trade that brought him here, he was a blue collar player if there ever was one.  

A smoke in one hand, a 5th of vodka in the other....

I liked the guy. And his play was effective. He was definitely an old school seventies type player. Which is likely why they decided not to keep him (*cough* going back to Russia *cough*).

That, and losing a year of hockey because Tampa won a Cup. :ph34r:

I love that Markov scored the 10,000th goal in the organization's history.

He, Malakhov and Zhamnov were great for the Flyers in 2004.  Zhamnov and Malakhov were two of the best passers I have ever seen on the Flyers.  Markov was one of my favorites.  He was also one of the early combatants in the Ottawa brawl that season.  

On 1/28/2017 at 7:01 PM, vis said:

I love that Markov scored the 10,000th goal in the organization's history.

He, Malakhov and Zhamnov were great for the Flyers in 2004.  Zhamnov and Malakhov were two of the best passers I have ever seen on the Flyers.  Markov was one of my favorites.  He was also one of the early combatants in the Ottawa brawl that season.  

I vividly remember a photo I can't seem to find with Markov, Malakhov and Zhamnov celebrating after a goal.

It was more than a bit surreal to see all those Russians in orange-and-black...

Yeah, it was quite a departure from the past.  I remember many thinking that Zhamnov and Malakhov were typical, uninspired Russians at the end of their careers.  Would love to go back and see what was posted on Philly.com at the time...

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I vividly remember a photo I can't seem to find with Markov, Malakhov and Zhamnov celebrating after a goal.

It was more than a bit surreal to see all those Russians in orange-and-black...

Image result for Markov, Malakhov and Zhamnov celebrating after a goal

Archived