Wild Acquire Marty Hanzal, Ryan White

Hanzal.jpg

Ryan White.jpg

From the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

http://www.startribune.com/wild-acquiring-arizona-s-martin-hanzal-ryan-white/414824464/

Wild get C-Hanzal and bottom six winger Ryan White, along with the Yotes' 4th round pick in exchange for bag of picks going Arizona's way.

Coyotes end up with Minny's  2017 1st rounder, 2018 2nd rounder, and a conditional pick in 2019.

Many are saying this is an overpay for Minnesota, and that may be so, but the Wild are in "win now" mode.

With Zach Parise starting to show some cracks in his armor, Ryan Suter still playing well but not getting any younger (same with Devan Dubnyk), the Wild believe they must win sooner than later..........and Bruce Boudreau has this group believing this year could be the one.

Apparently, the Wild GM agrees, as the acquisition of two expiring contracts show.

Hanzal and White add some skill and size to the lineup (also in a minor deal, Minny re-signs Ryan Carter to a two way deal), and from the looks of it, this team will be taking on a typical Bruce Boudreau posture come the playoffs: that is to say, the team doesn't want to get "pushed around" like they had in playoffs past......THEY now look to do the pushing around.

No blockbusters here, and in about 3 years Minnesota may regret giving up so many picks, but still, with the goal being "win now", I think the Wild did alright in trying to shore up their size weakness...while gaining a pretty good face off/centerman, as a possible alternate to either Mikko Koivu or Eric Staal.

Now...if only they could have somehow gotten a proven back up goalie, I would rest easier.

5 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Now...if only they could have somehow gotten a proven back up goalie, I would rest easier.

Flyer will send ya Michal Neuvirth. Proven backup with some playoff success. Not having a great year, but the way the team is playing defense, Carey Price would probably look like a borderline AHLer.

From experience with the Craig Patrick "Win Now" deals, I hope it works out better.  Its great to win the cup, but if you so handicap your future for a cup now, you can get yourself into very bad shape.  But at least it picks and not future cash as the NHL used to allow. 

I LOVE Marty Hanzal, always have and think he is a perfect fit.

He is a huge center who hits and can score, his only thing is he is fragile but the sucker can play and take draws like a champ. He fits perfectly as a middle six center on this rising team. White is a veteran bottom line forward who can play any position and knows his place, not a bad guy to have when you have been giving minutes to a career slug like Zac Dalpe. An upgrade if nothing else.

I have said for three years the biggest need for this club is at center, really their only need, Boudreau has gotten Koivu back on track, Staal is reinvigorated with the change of scenery and now adding Hanzal this club is officially stacked. Love the move.

From a 'Yotes standpoint at some point they have to quit growing players and keeping them until they are UFA eligible and just resign them long term. They have kids and draft picks out the wazoo so I guess in four or five years Duclair and Domi will hit the market and they will continue to trade for expiring contracts to get to the floor. I know the picks and there are some who say the Wild overpaid but here is a novel thought, instead of trading Hanzal or Stone how about resigning these still young players to three or four year deals and KEEP THEM to use along with the kids instead of having this non stop carrousel and working as a feeder for real teams. I simply hate the direction this team is taking, apparently so does Shane Doan judging from his reaction to the Hanzal deal as well.

30 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

From a 'Yotes standpoint at some point they have to quit growing players and keeping them until they are UFA eligible and just resign them long term. They have kids and draft picks out the wazoo so I guess in four or five years Duclair and Domi will hit the market and they will continue to trade for expiring contracts to get to the floor. I know the picks and there are some who say the Wild overpaid but here is a novel thought, instead of trading Hanzal or Stone how about resigning these still young players to three or four year deals and KEEP THEM to use along with the kids instead of having this non stop carrousel and working as a feeder for real teams. I simply hate the direction this team is taking, apparently so does Shane Doan judging from his reaction to the Hanzal deal as well.

I can see where a 30-year-old UFA 3rd line center isn't something the Coyotes felt was essential to build around. Let's face it, they're not winning anything any time soon - with or without a 40-year-old Shane Doan.

They got almost 10 years out of Hanzal, who has never scored more than 40 points (the past two seasons). And, quite frankly, if you can turn that into a 1st and a 2nd and possibly another 2nd, I think most teams would do that in a heartbeat. We also don't know what sort of conversations went on with the player about what he would want to re-sign (or if in fact, he wanted to re-sign).

I do concur that they need to move in a positive direction, but given that they have seven D (even with dealing Stone), both goalies and seven forwards signed for next season with four more RFA forwards and a boatload of young players in the system they should be able to do that.

Will they? we'll see :)

@radoran

I think I am higher on Hanzal than most, he is a favorite of mine and has been for a long time, a hard hitter a faceoff machine and his points per game is decently high, his drawback has always been health but when in the lineup he always gives the team something. The problem is he has been asked to do too much as the rest of the team for his tenure has lacked a number one center and he has had to play above his role. Plug him into the middle six, preferably as a 2C and watch him go.

As for the Coyotes, they remind me more and more of the Cleveland Indians of the late eighties and early nineties, continually trading for prospects and them watching them grow and mature and then when the money to pay them came due they would ship them out for more prospects and repeat. Eventually they hit a winning combo and were a great team for a five year run in the late nineties and the same could happen to the Coyotes to be sure, but right now IMHO they are just a farm team for the other clubs who are really trying to win. I feel you cannot win that way, eventually you have to identify a core and build around it and it cannot remain in flux. I get the logic in trading Hanzal for a good package based off the future but if you cannot resign him how about dealing him for Bishop or Fleury, filling a today need (Smith is old, brittle and not the answer now or ever) instead of building for an elusive future that may never be attained? Again I don't consider myself to be smarter than any NHL GM at least in regards to their profession but the Coyotes are in desperate trouble as far as retaining a home today and building towards an elusive future and chasing the carrot on a stick instead of building for today seems counter productive more so with this franchise than any other in pro sports.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

@radoran

I think I am higher on Hanzal than most, he is a favorite of mine and has been for a long time, a hard hitter a faceoff machine and his points per game is decently high, his drawback has always been health but when in the lineup he always gives the team something. The problem is he has been asked to do too much as the rest of the team for his tenure has lacked a number one center and he has had to play above his role. Plug him into the middle six, preferably as a 2C and watch him go.

I like Hanzal fine, but he's no game changer. I think he does give Minny what they were looking for.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

As for the Coyotes, they remind me more and more of the Cleveland Indians of the late eighties and early nineties, continually trading for prospects and them watching them grow and mature and then when the money to pay them came due they would ship them out for more prospects and repeat. Eventually they hit a winning combo and were a great team for a five year run in the late nineties and the same could happen to the Coyotes to be sure, but right now IMHO they are just a farm team for the other clubs who are really trying to win. I feel you cannot win that way, eventually you have to identify a core and build around it and it cannot remain in flux. I get the logic in trading Hanzal for a good package based off the future but if you cannot resign him how about dealing him for Bishop or Fleury, filling a today need (Smith is old, brittle and not the answer now or ever) instead of building for an elusive future that may never be attained? Again I don't consider myself to be smarter than any NHL GM at least in regards to their profession but the Coyotes are in desperate trouble as far as retaining a home today and building towards an elusive future and chasing the carrot on a stick instead of building for today seems counter productive more so with this franchise than any other in pro sports.

While I concur that Smith isn't "the answer" - he is signed for two more seasons at $5.6M per. Not sure that either Bishop or Fleury gets them what they want there... Also, too, Smith has a NTC and as a result must be protected in the expansion draft. I don't think picking up Bishop or Fleury only to lose him in the draft makes a lot of sense.

The Yotes have six guys on the roster on ELCs and 10 guys 25 or younger, so I think their vision for building is in the 3-5 years away plan. Will they get there is a very valid question.

Hanzal gives them some needed size, grit and physicality, but I think Ryan White is an underrated part of this trade as a 4th liner. He can throw his weight around, drop the gloves, and doesn't back down to anybody, and be good defensively as he showed as a Flyer. Good penalty killer. Great trade all around for the Wild.

44 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Hanzal gives them some needed size, grit and physicality, but I think Ryan White is an underrated part of this trade as a 4th liner. He can throw his weight around, drop the gloves, and doesn't back down to anybody, and be good defensively as he showed as a Flyer. Good penalty killer. Great trade all around for the Wild.

Agree with this post.

In fact, Bruce Boudreau had already started the "toughen the Wild up" campaign near the beginning of the season by giving guys like Tyler Graovac, Chris Stewart, and Kurtis Gabriel more meaningful minutes.

Plus, skill guys like Nino Niederreiter, Charlie Coyle, Marco Scandella, and Mikko Koivu already play a somewhat physical game...and even smaller guys like Mikael Granlund and Jason Zucker have 'bought in' to the play-tough mentality.

Hanzal and White will simply supplement those things for Minnesota, where Hanzal can provide more skill than any of the Wild's current 3rd or 4th liners, while White can provide more of the 'brute force', if you will, while still staying reasonably responsible as a hockey player.

At this stage of the game, the picks Minny gave up don't matter as much as building a winning formula now.

Besides, the Wild have a few prospects who expect to see NHL time during the same span that those picks they gave up will be used........and they DID get a pick back from AZ.  The Yotes' 4th rounder, which is likely almost like a late 3rd rounder given where Arizona is likely to finish in the standings.

40 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

I always liked White as a Flyer and would have preferred him resigned here for 1/2 of what they paid Weise.........

I really didn't understand this move by Philly.....let Ryan White out the door, then go and pay MORE for that slug Weise.

Ryan White is just good ol fashioned blue collar hockey.......and a man not afraid to get down n dirty if need be.

Watching him right now with the Wild against the Kings...they have him playing 3rd line minutes with Nino Niederreiter on the other wing and Eric Staal as the C.

White has his first Minnesota point, an assist, on Nino's opening goal.

I can't evaluate how this affects my having Hanzal in All stars and NAHANA until Pominville and Parise come back from the mumps. Thank god there are 3 weeks till the playoffs.

I do know his faceoffs are going to be down from 10-15 a game to 5-6 so I am not optimistic.

Thus far, Vrbata went from being a big fish in a little pond to a team with a few more stars in Vancouver and he flopped. Boedker did the same in SJ

Was Hanzel acquired to be 3rd line center on the Wild, or is this an indictment of Stall, or his a fluid thing moving forward? I like this deal for the Wild, they are not getting younger and their window, quite frankly is not going to stay open for more than a few years, less if Dubynk suddenly started to show his age etc.

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Was Hanzel acquired to be 3rd line center on the Wild, or is this an indictment of Stall, or his a fluid thing moving forward? I like this deal for the Wild, they are not getting younger and their window, quite frankly is not going to stay open for more than a few years, less if Dubynk suddenly started to show his age etc.

a 3rd line of Parise, Hanzal and Pominville. Just a year ago, that would have instilled fear in most teams lol. Now it still makes me uneasy

21 hours ago, radoran said:

While I concur that Smith isn't "the answer" - he is signed for two more seasons at $5.6M per. Not sure that either Bishop or Fleury gets them what they want there... Also, too, Smith has a NTC and as a result must be protected in the expansion draft. I don't think picking up Bishop or Fleury only to lose him in the draft makes a lot of sense.

Smith has an NTC, not an NMC. He can be exposed.

Archived