Flyers (now drafting #2 overall) and the 2017 NHL Draft (now with Poll)

pilldoc

With the #2 overall pick in the NHL 2017 Draft...What do you want the Flyers to do?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. If available, I want the Flyers to ......

• select Nico Hischier (C/RW) - Halifax
    • select Nolan Patrick (C) - Brandon
    • select Gabriel Vilardi (C) - Windsor
    • select other
    • Trade Pick to highest bidder for Kings Ransom

OK...just getting in front of the inevitable....IF the Flyers like Patrick over Nico, do you give up an asset to the Devils, like Ghost or Sanhiem (just examples...lol, don't shoot) to secure the pick you really want? Of course, it depends on how MUCH the Flyers value one over the other....but they certainly have the goods to pull this off, should they choose to do so. The Devils blueline is a MESS. 

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some quotes from around the league on how this lottery went ...

Re: Prediction for Draft Spot - 2017 - with Poll

Postby DHA » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:37 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
griz wrote:However, if Makar is anything like Erik Karlsson (as Button suggests) we could have our impact player already. I think we're going to wind up with a very good player THIS year despite being 5th.

We could use any of Makar, Glass, Mittlestat, Villardi or Heiskanen.

How about the Flyers? 7 points out of the playoffs and had a 2.5% chance to draft 2nd overall. Could have 12 picks in the draft, including 2nd overall...

Flyers look sick in this draft...Freaking ton of picks, 2.5% @#$#  me.

They have Ron Hextall running the show.

LOL ...

We have Lennie Small ........ :(

With a unexpected turn of events and the Flyers now winning the NHL Draft Lottery and moving all the way to the #2 Overall Pick, if available, who do you want the Flyers to select.

• pilldoc changed the title to Flyers (now drafting #2 overall) and the 2017 NHL Draft (now with Poll)
  • pilldoc pinned this topic

Assuming the Flyers select either Nico or Nolan .... can it safely be assumed that either player will be on the Flyers team next year.  Patrick I would have no worries, but reading that Nico "needs to bulk up a bit", if drafted, is Nico with the Flyers next year?

22 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Assuming the Flyers select either Nico or Nolan .... can it safely be assumed that either player will be on the Flyers team next year.  Patrick I would have no worries, but reading that Nico "needs to bulk up a bit", if drafted, is Nico with the Flyers next year?

It is kind of interesting because there has been discussion on the Mooseheads message board discussing if they think Hischier will be back for the Moosehead's next season.    The discussion was dependent on what team picks him.  Some fans now are happy because they feel that if he more than likely goes to the Flyers he will be back next year.  

Don't think their is any science to it but I did feel myself that he has to get stronger to make the NHL.   He probably is elusive enough that he won't have his head taken off in the NHL but I think one more year with the Mooseheads would probably serve him well.  He did play with SC Bern in the Men's league for a short time before he came to the Mooseheads.   I don't mind waiting for one year for him to make the Flyers.

20 minutes ago, TimKerrFan12 said:

It is kind of interesting because there has been discussion on the Mooseheads message board discussing if they think Hischier will be back for the Moosehead's next season.    The discussion was dependent on what team picks him.  Some fans now are happy because they feel that if he more than likely goes to the Flyers he will be back next year.  

Don't think their is any science to it but I did feel myself that he has to get stronger to make the NHL.   He probably is elusive enough that he won't have his head taken off in the NHL but I think one more year with the Mooseheads would probably serve him well.  He did play with SC Bern in the Men's league for a short time before he came to the Mooseheads.   I don't mind waiting for one year for him to make the Flyers.

Interesting take.... I think I read somewhere that both Nico and Nolan were the only 2 players in this years draft who would be NHL ready.  (I could be wrong)  Assume Flyers draft Nico and Lindblom joins the Flyers...how does this shake out?

Lindblom-Giroux-Simmonds
Konecny-Couturier-Vocacek
Filppula-Hischier-Schenn
Weal-Bellemare-Raffl

Extra:Cousins, Vec, Weise, Laughton

Maybe flip Coots and Nico ?

Just doing some out loud thinking here .....

If Flyers draft Nolan than put Nolan at 2C and move Coots down to 3C ?

EDIT: Don't forget that hopefully in another year or two you can ad Rubstov to this list. Man the Flyers could be sick down the middle for years to come.....Add in a very promising up and coming blueline and hopefully one of our top rated goalie prospects pans out to be the one....

The beautiful thing about it is the forwards will eventually be playing in front of

Provorov Sanheim
Ghost Gudas
Myers Morin
Hagg

Things I hope are finally looking up for this team :)

19 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Interesting take.... I think I read somewhere that both Nico and Nolan were the only 2 players in this years draft who would be NHL ready.  (I could be wrong)  Assume Flyers draft Nico and Lindblom joins the Flyers...how does this shake out?

Lindblom-Giroux-Simmonds
Konecny-Couturier-Vocacek
Filppula-Hischier-Schenn
Weal-Bellemare-Raffl

Extra:Cousins, Vec, Weise, Laughton

Maybe flip Coots and Nico ?

Just doing some out loud thinking here .....

If Flyers draft Nolan than put Nolan at 2C and move Coots down to 3C ?

EDIT: Don't forget that hopefully in another year or two you can ad Rubstov to this list. Man the Flyers could be sick down the middle for years to come.....Add in a very promising up and coming blueline and hopefully one of our top rated goalie prospects pans out to be the one....

The beautiful thing about it is the forwards will eventually be playing in front of

Provorov Sanheim
Ghost Gudas
Myers Morin
Hagg

Things I hope are finally looking up for this team :)

A few question marks there like Lindbloom, but damn, that top 9 is WAY better than anything the Flyers have put out depth wise in over a decade, probably much more. I would say a top 5 in the league top 9 moving forward, or at least very close. Amazing how fast the Flyers improved team speed and skill.

I can't believe the turn of events. :horn: I can't believe the eventual 1c replacement for G just fell into the Flyers laps without having to trade any of their D/G assets away.  This is so huge for the organization as a whole. 

I am completely happy with either Nico or Nolan.  Without really knowing each player besides what I have read I feel Nico will be with the Flyers. 

Meltzer indicated on twitter since he was loaned to the Mooseheads he falls under a rule which would allow him to play in the AHL so the Flyers would have a bevy of options for his development. 

Nolan's injury history is worrisome to me. 

I also wonder if this changes the Flyers rebuild timeline knowing you have Nico or Nolan coming in and perhaps take a run at say Shattenkirk to perhaps make a serious run at the cup in 2 or 3 years from now. 

4 hours ago, off_the_post said:

I can't believe the turn of events. :horn: I can't believe the eventual 1c replacement for G just fell into the Flyers laps without having to trade any of their D/G assets away.  This is so huge for the organization as a whole. 

In many ways, it helps the Flyers not get run over in the East. With each draft, the Leafs will be adding to an already awesome young team. Hunter will rebuild that shoddy defense of the Leafs and add more quality forwards....getting Nolan or Nico helps us keep pace and not get buried.

4 hours ago, off_the_post said:

I also wonder if this changes the Flyers rebuild timeline knowing you have Nico or Nolan coming in and perhaps take a run at say Shattenkirk to perhaps make a serious run at the cup in 2 or 3 years from now. 

I would venture to say yes, this may certainly change when our window opens. The job right now is to add forwards and find a #1 goalie while the defense makes it's way to the NHL and starts to play with the confidence that can only come from NHL experience.  Yes, this pick could very well expedite this arduous process. 

When I saw the Devils won I was pissed...then I saw Philly got 2nd...this is a draft where the 2nd pick could end up better...it's basically a coin toss for 1st. Either way we're getting our future #1 C. I don't even care if we take Patrick or Hischier...hell I was hoping for Glass. 

i'm officially on the "trade Giroux" bandwagon. I was already on, but now I'm full on.

This team would have been way better off playing 4 games of playoff hockey. :xbg:

45 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Maybe it was bc of this year being so messy but does this feel like the JvR draft part deux?

If the kid ends up playing fo the big club next year how long until Hak benches him to send a message?   Lol..

I think Patrick could play in the NHL...Hischier, I'm not so sure. There's no rush anyway. One year without either isn't going to prevent a cup win...we don't even have a goalie.

I've been hearing for a couple weeks now that Hischier has moved past Patrick on a lot of boards. It will be interesting to see what the Devils think. I'd be happy with either guy.

I am interested to see what this does to the Flyers game plan for the summer and going forward. You already have Giroux, Filppula, and Couturier as your top 3 centers. Left wing is more murky. But coming into camp next year, on top of either Patrick or Hischier, you will have the following centers:

Giroux

Filppula

Couturier

Bellemare

Laughton

Cousins

Rubtsov

Vorobyov

Vecchione

Rubtsov and Patrick/Hischier can be returned to juniors, Rubtsov and Hischier are also eligible to play for the Phantoms if the Flyers so choose. Vorobyov is almost certainly bound for the Phantoms. Vecchione is also waiver exempt, but Cousins and Laughton are not.

At Left Wing:

Konecny (Natural RW)

Lindblom

Schenn

Raffl (Very strong chance of being the expansion selection)

Weal

Then you have Bellemare who can (should?) slide over, Filpulla can as well. Rubtsov had been playing LW in Juniors. Yet Lindblom and Bellemare are still the only "natural" LWs on the list. I'll be interested to see if there is a move coming post-draft to shore up that weakness and allow Konecny to slot in on his natural right side, giving us a lineup something like this next year, with Patrick/Hischier replacing Filpulla the following season. If they make the team out of camp, then Filpulla slides over and you can still look to acquire someone to fill that void when he's traded/not re-signed:

Lindblom - Giroux - Voracek

LW?/Filpulla - Filpulla/Patrick/Hischier - Simmonds

Schenn - Couturier - Konecny

Bellemare - Vecchione - Read/Weise

10 hours ago, jammer2 said:

OK...just getting in front of the inevitable....IF the Flyers like Patrick over Nico, do you give up an asset to the Devils, like Ghost or Sanhiem (just examples...lol, don't shoot) to secure the pick you really want? Of course, it depends on how MUCH the Flyers value one over the other....but they certainly have the goods to pull this off, should they choose to do so. The Devils blueline is a MESS. 

Absolutely NOT! They're about as even as the top 2 can be. You give up Ghost or Sanheim or whoever and you may not even be getting the better player. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Absolutely NOT! They're about as even as the top 2 can be. You give up Ghost or Sanheim or whoever and you may not even be getting the better player. 

Was just throwing it out there for discussion, actually, was trying to eliminate the whole scenario early, cause this will be broke down every which way in the next few months. Plus...you would be giving a direct division rival a player they really need to get better, their D SUCKS. It's a golden rule, don't trade a d man for a forward, but even more so when the team resides in your own division.

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

Was just throwing it out there for discussion, actually, was trying to eliminate the whole scenario early, cause this will be broke down every which way in the next few months. Plus...you would be giving a direct division rival a player they really need to get better, their D SUCKS. It's a golden rule, don't trade a d man for a forward, but even more so when the team resides in your own division.

It would be different if there was a clear #1. But Patricks health issues have closed the gap to where there really isn't one. can't go wrong with either I'd say, so may as well take whoever falls in your lap.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It would be different if there was a clear #1. But Patricks health issues have closed the gap to where there really isn't one. can't go wrong with either I'd say, so may as well take whoever falls in your lap.

Unless of course the Devs value the services of McDudley!!

7 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Unless of course the Devs value the services of McDudley!!

True.

Or if they'd throw in Taylor Hall...he seems to be exceptional at getting his team the 1st overall pick. Getting Dahlen or Svechnikov next year would be a heck of a back to back draft.

12 hours ago, jammer2 said:

OK....say Nico goes first, Patrick becomes a Flyer. He is SO well rounded, NHL ready he will not go back to junior....so where do you fit him into the line up...do you make him the 2nd line center...picking up buddy from the Bolts is now an albratross....a good problem though.

GOOD LORD, this ORG needed THIS!!!!

I know nothing about him other than his name and some scouting I've read this morning, so clueless question alert:   Is he good enough to talk about putting him on the top line at center and moving Giroux to wing?  Then you keep Fil on 2nd line until Rubstov or someone is ready?

Archived