SPLIT: Could Vegas Take MacDonald?

jammer2

If this latest news about the Knights taking Clarkson's contract off the Jackets hands is indeed true, I fear all hope of ditching McBunk during this expansion process is all but over. Can't see the Knights taking 5 mill in LTIR AND 3 years of McDonald at 5 mill a year, no way is that happening.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

If this latest news about the Knights taking Clarkson's contract off the Jackets hands is indeed true, I fear all hope of ditching McBunk during this expansion process is all but over. Can't see the Knights taking 5 mill in LTIR AND 3 years of McDonald at 5 mill a year, no way is that happening.

Possibly if the Flyers add some draft picks to sweeten the pot! I think McPhee is going to try and accumulate as many picks as he can from teams not to draft certain players or pick certain players.

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

I'd prefer to keep McDud than trade a high pick to get rid of him. He'll have zero effect against Philly winning a cup this year...the Flyers just aren't there. So we really don't need to get rid of him.

Imagine having the pick you send Vegas turning into a very good player for the next dozen years when you could have had him AND McDud off your team shortly?

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd prefer to keep McDud than trade a high pick to get rid of him. He'll have zero effect against Philly winning a cup this year...the Flyers just aren't there. So we really don't need to get rid of him.

Imagine having the pick you send Vegas turning into a very good player for the next dozen years when you could have had him AND McDud off your team shortly?

I  have the tendency to agree. McDudly is gone in 3 years and I just don't see the Flyers championship window opening before that. It would be prudent to investigate what the Knights would require, but yeah, losing a quality draft pick who could be a contributing player is not worth cap flexibility. If indeed the Knights are getting the Jackets first rounder for the Clarkson contract and a list of players to not select, they have set the bar WAY to high for the Flyers to make a move. 

3 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I  have the tendency to agree. McDudly is gone in 3 years and I just don't see the Flyers championship window opening before that. It would be prudent to investigate what the Knights would require, but yeah, losing a quality draft pick who could be a contributing player is not worth cap flexibility. If indeed the Knights are getting the Jackets first rounder for the Clarkson contract and a list of players to not select, they have set the bar WAY to high for the Flyers to make a move. 

I think your biggest problem with McDonald is that there are going to be 15-20 other teams out there that could be looking to unload players in similar situations. Guys who are under-performing long term deals with big cap hits.  There are probably going to be a number of "better" options for Vegas to look at (as far as these types of scenarios go) than McDonald. By that I mean players who are still under-performing based on their cap hit...but a lot closer to that hit than McDonald.  Example: Carl Hagelin (if the Pens expose him).  He's a lot closer to 4MM per than McDonald is to 5MM per. If I'm McPhee, I'm taking Hags.

4 hours ago, murraycraven said:

It is going to be interesting around here when we still have McDud and Neuvy on the roster post expansion draft.   :bonkingheadonwall:

I'm waiting for the reaction when they re-sign Mason 

:hocky:

On 6/9/2017 at 9:20 AM, jammer2 said:

Don't want to steer the topic away from Knobs....but I must ask...does anyone else see Vegas as our chance to *finally* be rid of McDonald's contract. I would protect Manning before McCrap any day of the week. You leave McDonald exposed and offer Vegas a few draft picks if they select him....is this a viable option??  What would it take to get this done?  Maybe one of our 3rds and one of our 4th's??? Or, is that not enough for them to take the stiff??

No.  I would think that would be very unlikely.  

In addition, unless Hextall can sign or trade for another veteran D man between now and the vegas draft, I wouldn't want them to. Without the addition of another veteran presence, they're going to be skating a lot of young and or risky D men.  On top of all that, they only "NEED" his cap room if they somehow acquire some more expensive pieces (goalie or D as there simply isn't ANY room for a forward on this roster).

While it's not impossible that they add a Fleury or a Hjalmarsson (my hope) I just don't think it's likely.

And I certainly don't think it's likely that they add a Fleury without jettisoning Neuvirth.

Anyway long story short, It doesn't make much sense for them to add any expensive LONG TERM pieces this off season and short term pieces shouldn't cost so much against the cap that Mac's cap hit would prevent it.  

Even with Ghost's new contract, they've still got 8.5 million to sign #2, Weal, Cousins, Vecchione, Laughton and a goalie.

What's more, anywhere from 1-2.5 Million will be coming off the books automatically when Vegas drafts one of: Raffl, Cousins, Laughton, or Neuvirth.

Worst case scenario, Hagg and Morin outplay the hell out of MacDonald in camp (they will have to be significantly better than he will). In that event, there still should be plenty of cap room to carry Mac as the 7th man or worse gets to worst, just bury him in the AHL again and save yourself a million bucks in cap room.  

6 hours ago, B21 said:

I think your biggest problem with McDonald is that there are going to be 15-20 other teams out there that could be looking to unload players in similar situations. Guys who are under-performing long term deals with big cap hits.  There are probably going to be a number of "better" options for Vegas to look at (as far as these types of scenarios go) than McDonald. By that I mean players who are still under-performing based on their cap hit...but a lot closer to that hit than McDonald.  Example: Carl Hagelin (if the Pens expose him).  He's a lot closer to 4MM per than McDonald is to 5MM per. If I'm McPhee, I'm taking Hags.

Is that wishful thinking?  Vegas can only pick one player from each team.  There's no way they pass on MAF (and it's my understanding that he waived his NTC so he can only go to Vegas so he can't be traded).

2 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Is that wishful thinking?  Vegas can only pick one player from each team.  There's no way they pass on MAF (and it's my understanding that he waived his NTC so he can only go to Vegas so he can't be traded).

I'm hoping he is not taken by Vegas! Then the Pens could trade him and get something in return 

24 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

I  thought McDonald was one of your better dmen? :whiteflag:

Yeah he is better at making popcorn than anyone on the team.

He is needed in the suit with Hextall keeping his popcorn buttered and coke topped off.

:VeryCool:

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah he is better at making popcorn than anyone on the team.

He is needed in the suit with Hextall keeping his popcorn buttered and coke topped off.

:VeryCool:

Lol (very hard)

17 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

At least we'll have someone to hate!

Well, it is only a matter of time until a large portion of the fan base actually starts turning on Stolarz, Hart, Sandstrom... just give it time b/c it will certainly happen!  :cheers:

15 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Ha!  Not at all. Before MAF waived his MNC a number of articles had Hagelin as a possible candidate to be left unprotected and taken by Vegas.  I was just too lazy to find another example on another team so I went with the guy I knew.  I agree though....I think MAF gets picked.

On 6/13/2017 at 10:27 AM, jammer2 said:

I just can't imagine doing that if I'm Vegas.  I can't imagine a brand new team that has to draft 30 players from around the league taking on 5million + for the first 3 years of it's existence for a player who won't see the ice.

I just can't imagine them having THAT much of a problem hitting the league floor.    

19 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I just can't imagine that on the part of Fleury.  You don't want to be the reason the team loses Murray, but at the same time...  Vegas?  I just can't imagine choosing to go there.  

46 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I just can't imagine doing that if I'm Vegas.  I can't imagine a brand new team that has to draft 30 players from around the league taking on 5million + for the first 3 years of it's existence for a player who won't see the ice.

I just can't imagine them having THAT much of a problem hitting the league floor.   

They can't "choose" Clarkson in the draft. They would take Clarkson from the Jackets in exchange for picks and then "not take" someone Columbus can't protect but doesn't want to lose.

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

They can't "choose" Clarkson in the draft. They would take Clarkson from the Jackets in exchange for picks and then "not take" someone Columbus can't protect but doesn't want to lose.

I understand that they'd be trading for him (if you mean Clarkson, not Carlsson... Carlsson makes under a million and isn't hurt).  I just find it hard to believe they'd do that.  The only reason a team (like Phoenix) would ever need or want to do that is if they didn't think they could hit the cap floor for three more years.  I don't think Vegas should really have much of a problem hitting the cap floor... though I guess they'll have a better idea by 7/1.

Just now, King Knut said:

I understand that they'd be trading for him (if you mean Clarkson, not Carlsson... Carlsson makes under a million and isn't hurt).  I just find it hard to believe they'd do that.  The only reason a team (like Phoenix) would ever need or want to do that is if they didn't think they could hit the cap floor for three more years.  I don't think Vegas should really have much of a problem hitting the cap floor... though I guess they'll have a better idea by 7/1.

(Edited my twice typed O :) )

McPhee is on record saying he wouldn't mind accumulating draft picks

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19529412/nhl-las-vegas-golden-knights-ready-deal-expansion-draft

McPhee's objective is stockpiling draft picks, and he didn't rule out acquiring them in exchange for players with high-priced contracts from teams experiencing salary-cap issues.

They're not worried about a cap floor, they're trying to get as many young players into their system sooner than later.

57 minutes ago, radoran said:

(Edited my twice typed O :) )

McPhee is on record saying he wouldn't mind accumulating draft picks

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19529412/nhl-las-vegas-golden-knights-ready-deal-expansion-draft

They're not worried about a cap floor, they're trying to get as many young players into their system sooner than later.

Wow, if only the Flyers had a plethora of picks to deal this year and a big fat salary they'd still like to unload...  hmmmm.

Here's a fantasy scenario along the same lines: Flyers trade MacDonald and a boat load of their picks to Chicago for Hjalmarsson.  Chicago trades half those picks to Vegas for Future Considerations which come in the form of Vegas drafting MacDonald from Chicago.  

Archived