If Colorado offers Landeskog and #4 for #2 do we take it

RonJeremy

16 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Why not go all the way in....

Let's trade our entire roster and coaching staff to the Predators in return we get their entire roster and coaching staff - then flip Subban, 3 firsts and Ghost for Crosby!!!  #winning!

:cheers:

But you already traded Ghost to Nashville...

15 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm actually in favor of just picking at #2, to be honest.   But just wondering how to move from Giroux while there's still some value.  I agree it would be better to do do it following a "good year," but I'm losing a little confidence that we're going to see one.

I'm pretty sure we will. The whole team was garbage last season, not just Giroux. Giroux's been elite for long enough that he deserves a fairly long leash.

On the Tavares point, I have no doubt the team that does sign him will be shelling out something in the range of 10 mil for multiple years. That makes it even less worthy of consideration in my book. Very few players are worth 10 mil in this league today. I don't think Tavares is one of them. He certainly won't be for another 6-7 years.

8 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm pretty sure we will. The whole team was garbage last season, not just Giroux. Giroux's been elite for long enough that he deserves a fairly long leash.

On the Tavares point, I have no doubt the team that does sign him will be shelling out something in the range of 10 mil for multiple years. That makes it even less worthy of consideration in my book. Very few players are worth 10 mil in this league today. I don't think Tavares is one of them. He certainly won't be for another 6-7 years.

Completely agree.  Well-argued!

On 6/16/2017 at 7:29 PM, Jam1986 said:

Put who do the Flyers trade ? Cause we need to dump money!! If this trade went down?

No they don't.  Not anymore.  Not unless they sign a really expensive goalie.  

They currently have over $10 million in cap space and only need to sign Laughton (if he remains a Flyer, which I suspect he might not), #2 (if he signs his entry level and makes the team right away) and a goalie.  If you subtract Landeskog's 5.5, This is ALREADY doable for 5 million or so they flyers would have left in cap space.

When you add in that they are very likely to lose at least 2.35 more million when Vegas drafts Raffl, Wiese or Neuvirth, the Flyers could make this work in a heartbeat.  

But they won't.  Because Colorado would be utterly stupid to make this deal.  You don't trade your 30 goal scoring captain and the #4 overall pick for a #2 pick this year.  We're not talking about McDavid and Eichel.  They're good... but neither is THAT good.  

16 hours ago, King Knut said:

No they don't.  Not anymore.  Not unless they sign a really expensive goalie.  

They currently have over $10 million in cap space and only need to sign Laughton (if he remains a Flyer, which I suspect he might not), #2 (if he signs his entry level and makes the team right away) and a goalie.  If you subtract Landeskog's 5.5, This is ALREADY doable for 5 million or so they flyers would have left in cap space.

When you add in that they are very likely to lose at least 2.35 more million when Vegas drafts Raffl, Wiese or Neuvirth, the Flyers could make this work in a heartbeat.  

But they won't.  Because Colorado would be utterly stupid to make this deal.  You don't trade your 30 goal scoring captain and the #4 overall pick for a #2 pick this year.  We're not talking about McDavid and Eichel.  They're good... but neither is THAT good.  

Sorry but we do not have THAT much cap space.  Weal and Vecchione  both need contracts (say $3 mil for the two) which brings us to 6.5.  Probably 2 young dmen coming up ($1.8 total) and either Stolarz or a UFA signing for a goalie (say another million off the cap but could be more).  If Laughton making the team at another million or so we have about $2 in wiggle room.  Much more than years past but not a lot.

2 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

Sorry but we do not have THAT much cap space.  Weal and Vecchione  both need contracts (say $3 mil for the two) which brings us to 6.5.  Probably 2 young dmen coming up ($1.8 total) and either Stolarz or a UFA signing for a goalie (say another million off the cap but could be more).  If Laughton making the team at another million or so we have about $2 in wiggle room.  Much more than years past but not a lot.

They will likely have 12 million in cap space after the draft.  

Im interested in your your math because I don't follow on how you get from 3 to 6.5. I trust you I just didn't make the jump. 

Its all fun though.  Colorado never makes this trade and if they did, buyer beware. 

If if they did though, I inagine a Raffl would be going back to Colorado to make room. 

3 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

We should have about 12m after Vegas. Wea and Vech at 1.5 each makes sense. The two kids you mention would be on ELCs. We'd still have a good amount of space. 

That said, any opportunity to dump McDud should be explored fully. He's definitely not the guy i want as a mentor to any young dmen. 

7 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Dumping MacDonald would be great, but it's not a necessity right now. We don't need the cap space.

So what, unloading him should still be a main priority, we could always use a little more cap space and unloading these crap contracts is a must.

Just now, Philly29 said:

So what, unloading him should still be a main priority, we could always use a little more cap space and unloading these crap contracts is a must.

It's really not, though. 

Over the next 2-3 years, the Flyers will have Lindblom, Patrick/Hischier, Sanheim, Morin, Hagg, Provorov, Konecny, Laughton, Vecchione, and Weal on either entry-level or other low cost contracts. Assuming Weal, Laughton, and Stolarz get multi-year deals, Morin and Hagg are the only players needing new contracts after this season, and their play style is not conducive to big paydays. Along with that, the Flyers will clear almost 9 million in space in the coming offseason with the departure of Filpulla and Read. The tail end of MacDonald's contract actually has fallen in a period of time where the Flyers don't have to do anything drastic to move it. 

12 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

Sure, but not at the expense of our future. I'm not moving him with a high draft pick or solid prospect just so we can get cap space that we won't even use right now.

You may hate MacDonald, but the organization seems to think he's a valuable player (ie: more valuable than MDZ) and will be in the team's top-6 as it stands.

I don't get to see him play a lot and I know that he's their captain, so it's possible is all around play is really good and I simply don't know it,but the dude is pretty much a mid-50s point player. AND this is only supposed to be a two-person draft. I don't follow juniors or college hockey in the slightest, but I do know  that everyone is saying you have to get one of the top two because there's a very big drop off after that.

16 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Sure, but not at the expense of our future. I'm not moving him with a high draft pick or solid prospect just so we can get cap space that we won't even use right now.

You may hate MacDonald, but the organization seems to think he's a valuable player (ie: more valuable than MDZ) and will be in the team's top-6 as it stands.

I never said at the expense of our future

17 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

MacDonald is under contract so the team is obviously going to play him. And you (me, and others) are correct that the cap implications for this season aren't egregious. Moreover, he is "an NHL Player" (TM Ron Hextall).

But it's not like they had to decide between keeping MacDonald or Del Zotto. Del Zotto is a UFA who can go anywhere. The Flyers are stuck with MacDonald.

Del Zotto has a similar skill set to what they hope to get from Provorov, Ghost and Sanheim. In that respect it doesn't make sense for them to apply any cap space - even in the middle term - to a player like MDZ.

So, we'll keep seeing MacDonald racking up shot blocks on shots he gave up because he gives up the blue line every chance he gets. And we'll see Gotstobehere make $500K less than MacDonald as he tries to do for the third time what MacDonald has never done once - put up more than 30 points in an NHL season.

Should be fun. :)

No longer relevant with the draft over, but I was reading a thread on a different site mentioning Duchesne and Landeskog.

Duchene, I'm not sure really fits here, but Landeskog would.

Someone pitched Couturier+ for Landeskog, so we'd end up something like:

Lindblom/Giroux/Simmonds

Landeskog/Patrick/Voracek

Konecny/Filppula/Weal

Raffl/Lehtera/Weise

Read Laughton

That's actually pretty decent. Sign me up.

Of course, the Avs would have to want Couturier.

I'd do that trade in a New York minute. Hextall doesn't seem to want to trade picks, but he does have an extra first next year. 

The 3C...you could do any one of our 7 centers there. Honestly, you really could go Lehtera there (I swear to God this isn't smarm) or give Laughton a shot. Or Filpuilla. Or Weise. Maybe Rubstov is ready by next year (I think we're two years out for him). 

Make the call. DO IT

(I don't want Duchene) 

Archived