Panotch out at CSN

radoran

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/dei-lynam-tim-panaccio-comcast-sportsnet-philadelphia-out-20170628.html

Lynam and Panaccio are just the latest in what has become a long list of personalities to exit the station in recent months. Veteran broadcaster Ron Burke was shown the door in January. Before that, longtime Phillies reporter and anchor Leslie Gudel parted ways with the network in October, months after the sudden departure of her former co-host, Neil Hartman.

The moves are part of a shift in programming away from original reporting to more opinion and debate, aimed at attracting more millennial viewers. The network also recently canceled Breakfast on Broad, an attempt to create a local sports talk morning show.

I don't mind Tim.

But I think they're going in the wrong direction with the other personalities.   I can't stand Dei Lynam.  At all.  She's simply painful to hear and/or watch.   Horrible.  Bigly bad.

But Gudel, Burke, Hartman, not good.  And moving from original reporting to debate:  that's what's killed news media, so why not screw up sports media, too.    If this is what millennials want, it only goes to show you that there's no child left behind only because there's no child going anywhere.

16 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

And moving from original reporting to debate:  that's what's killed news media, so why not screw up sports media, too.  

truer words have not been typed.

53 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't mind Tim.

But I think they're going in the wrong direction with the other personalities.   I can't stand Dei Lynam.  At all.  She's simply painful to hear and/or watch.   Horrible.  Bigly bad.

But Gudel, Burke, Hartman, not good.  And moving from original reporting to debate:  that's what's killed news media, so why not screw up sports media, too.    If this is what millennials want, it only goes to show you that there's no child left behind only because there's no child going anywhere.

I don't know who any of those others are....

...but when i read a Bill Meltzer article, it's usually informative. There are plenty of times when i read things I didn't know...but even if you did you can tell it's by someone who knows what he's talking about and is passionate about the team. When I read a Pinnochio article, it's like I'm reading a NY Yankess fans take on the Flyers. Doesn't really know the game of hockey, doesn't know what players are good or bad or what they even do...has no clue on trade talks or values.

I have to agree with fc on this. I read articles to be informed. I am rarely informed by a Timmy article. Usually, it's rehashed stuff I already knew. No in depth stuff on prospects (Metzler KILLS him in this dept), no useful rumors, and rarely a negative piece on the team, I'm assuming to keep peace and not have the team turn on him. Some respectful negativity is necessary IMHO. 

On a personal note, I've never met him, but had the opportunity to interact with his son on PTPITN, and he raised a fine young man there. I wish him the best of luck, sure he will land on his feet!!

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

On a personal note, I've never met him, but had the opportunity to interact with his son on PTPITN, and he raised a fine young man there. I wish him the best of luck, sure he will land on his feet!!

Yep.   Beautiful granddaughter there too.   Has two pretty nice daughters, too (just don't tell the one that you didn't like "Jurassic World."  That's an ugly time.

The son hasn't commented to me yet.  Hopefully Timmy will land on his feet.

30 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, my comments are in no way a reflection on NTP...who was a fine member of those other forums.

It's all good, we knew you were just being objective, just like I was.

29 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He'll always be able to find work as a weatherman.

Is there really opening for one of those? I thought it was always sunny in Philadelphia?

Personalities aside, this is the continued cut in "serious" sportscasting due to cable cutting and the "ESPN Problem."  People are debundling cable packages and my gut says it will get worse.  The folks here may be happy with NHL coverage and could not care less about baseball or soccer.  That will take down demand and support for generic sports coverage.  Turning this into blog stuff is bad news...but a sign of the times. 

Archived