Free Agency/Goalie Predictions

vis

@OccamsRazor

It's not the term that bothers me.  Although, I think the younger guys may not be ready until closer to four, if not five, years from now.  Not that I am saying they should have signed him to a longer deal...

What bothers me is the player.  Elliott does not make this team better.  The goaltending will be worse, on balance, than it was last year.  And this will make things even more difficult for a young defense.  Not going to be pretty.

I know the UFA market was crap.  But, is this really it?  Brian Elliott?  Did Hextall even test the trade route?  He could have worked a deal through VGK for one of the unprotected goaltenders if he couldn't get one directly.  He could have approached VGK after the draft about Raanta.  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, vis said:

I know the UFA market was crap.  But, is this really it?  Brian Elliott?  Did Hextall even test the trade route?  He could have worked a deal through VGK for one of the unprotected goaltenders if he couldn't get one directly.  He could have approached VGK after the draft about Raanta.  

Brian was ok in his late twenties, but the last few seasons have been iffy. He never did put a stranglehold on the Blues job, despite many, many chances. Allen only rose to prominence after Elliott failed many times, or so it seemed. If you can't prosper on a Blues team totally geared towards defense, coached by Hitch, who preached back checking and defensive tightness, where can you thrive?

Hell yeah, a slightly outside the box thought pattern was needed here. Make a play for Raanta, make a RFA play for Grubauer, but this tandem, is THIS how you want your kids to enter into the NHL, where a LOT of mistakes end up in the back of your net? This has the makings of a clusterF***.  I can't even imagine how Elliott will be at 35....LMAO!

2 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Brian was ok in his late twenties, but the last few seasons have been iffy. He never did put a stranglehold on the Blues job, despite many, many chances. Allen only rose to prominence after Elliott failed many times, or so it seemed. If you can't prosper on a Blues team totally geared towards defense, coached by Hitch, who preached back checking and defensive tightness, where can you thrive?

Hell yeah, a slightly outside the box thought pattern was needed here. Make a play for Raanta, make a RFA play for Grubauer, but this tandem, is THIS how you want your kids to enter into the NHL, where a LOT of mistakes end up in the back of your net? This has the makings of a clusterF***.  I can't even imagine how Elliott will be at 35....LMAO!

I somewhat disagree.  I thought Elliott played well for the Blues his last two years there.  Stats wise there was not much difference between him and Allen in the 14-15 season, but Elliott was the better goalie in the 15-16 season.  That's why the Flames traded for him.  Elliott is a little streaky and is the reason he platooned with Allen.  I attribute his stats drop off to the fact he didn't have the same caliber defense in front of him when he got to Calgary.  His win/loss record was virtually the same as in St. Louis.

Just now, flyercanuck said:

Not sure I want Elliot for 3 years. Ok, I'm sure I don't.

Strangely, it's not that third year I'm worried about. It's the first two. 

I'm not worried about Elliott at all. He's played behind a young defense before in St.Louis, so the good thing is that he can direct the young guys where they need to be on the ice. He's going to help the young defensemen in terms of positioning and having him back there is like having another coach on the ice. 

Ascfor his year in Calgary, he admitted that the year started rough because the defense were all veterans and he didn't want to speak out of turn in terms of where they should he on the ice. Once Elliott became more vocal, the team responded and everyone started playing better.

This is a good move. The Flyers needed sometime back there wry can handle things mentally and not throw people under a bus, especially young defensemen that will be prone to making mistakes. Mason has always been a me first guy and has always blamed others when things go wrong. You win as a team and lose as a team. Mason just never grasped that. Good goalie, bad attitude. And think of it, if Hextall wanted to re-sign Mason he would have been resigned. So there's more to what's going on here than just letting Mason walk.

6 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Ascfor his year in Calgary, he admitted that the year started rough because the defense were all veterans and he didn't want to speak out of turn in terms of where they should he on the ice

Sorry, but you must have been watching a different Elliot.   He had a terrible start and then when on a little run.  He is a streaky goalie and then was absolutely horrendous in the playoffs.   He nearly was the sole reason for that series.   An .880 save percentage?

I'm not sure if I like the concept of Williams coming in. Good vet presence, and a good goal scorer, but you'd be flipping Konecny back to his off left wing. You'd also have to move someone out if your intention is to bring up Laughton and Lindblom full time. This is the move that would block a young guy.

20 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I somewhat disagree.  I thought Elliott played well for the Blues his last two years there.  Stats wise there was not much difference between him and Allen in the 14-15 season, but Elliott was the better goalie in the 15-16 season.  That's why the Flames traded for him.  Elliott is a little streaky and is the reason he platooned with Allen.  I attribute his stats drop off to the fact he didn't have the same caliber defense in front of him when he got to Calgary.  His win/loss record was virtually the same as in St. Louis.

I dunno. St.Louis played a WAY more disciplined game than the Flyers. Calgary had a better defense than St.Louis did in my opinion. He's coming to a team that will someday be better than both of those teams on defense, but really young and the vets are McDonald and Gudas...I like Gudas, but he's not quick. They are gonna have some real defensive zone coverage problems. Put me down for a .911 save percentage from Elliott next year. 

5 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I'm not sure if I like the concept of Williams coming in. Good vet presence, and a good goal scorer, but you'd be flipping Konecny back to his off left wing. You'd also have to move someone out if your intention is to bring up Laughton and Lindblom full time. This is the move that would block a young guy.

UGHHHHHH.....Hexy is to smart for this, no???   He's the type of veteran guy you add to a team that is REAL CLOSE to winning it all. He WOULD block kids and take away playing time from them. Plus, another bottom 6 guy who would be getting overpaid. This is a Homer type of shiny new thing....hopefully not something Hexy would consider.

5 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Should could woulda. Leave him alone, and trade for someone in their 20s who can put the puck in the net. No more ex-Flyers.

Loved Justin Williams when he was here.  Hated to see him go and always wished he would come back.

However, this ship has sailed .....  agree with all above.  Do NOT sign him.  Time to move forward with the young kids ....

Just now, pilldoc said:

Loved Justin Williams when he was here.  Hated to see him go and always wished he would come back.

However, this ship has sailed .....  agree with all above.  Do NOT sign him.  Time to move forward with the young kids ....

If you're going to do that, just throw a bunch of cash at Radulov for a short-term, low-risk deal of some kind.

21 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Calgary had a better defense than St.Louis did in my opinion.

No way!  

Here is the St Louis Defense from the 15-16 season:

61 Andre Benoit                  
41 Robert Bortuzzo                  
19 Jay Bouwmeester                  
25 Chris Butler                  
6 Joel Edmundson                  
4 Carl Gunnarsson                  
48 Petteri Lindbohm                  
55 Colton Parayko                  
27 Alex Pietrangelo                  
22 Kevin Shattenkirk                  

And here is the Calgary Defense from last season:

54 Rasmus Andersson                  
44 Matt Bartkowski                  
7 T.J. Brodie                  
29 Deryk Engelland                  
5 Mark Giordano (C)                  
8 Nicklas Grossmann                  
27 Dougie Hamilton                  
3 Jyrki Jokipakka                  
61 Brett Kulak                  
26 Michael Stone                  
6 Dennis Wideman                  
26 Tyler Wotherspoon                  

They don't even compare. 

Maybe it is just me, but I've never been a huge fan of Bouwmeester. He's a classic puck lugger who does that well, but that is it. Very limited offense and lacks vision. St.Louis has the edge with the top 3, Payarko, Shatts and Pieteranglo, but the depth part goes to Calgary for my money. Pieterango has never lived up to expectations, and even Shatts is tad overvalued. I'm a big fan of Payarko.

Give me a top 5 of Gio, Brodie, Hamilton, Wideman and Stone anyday. I do think Wideman is moving out of his prime, but Stone is one of the the most underrated d men in the league. I like Bartkowski more than any of the St.Louis depth guys also. I would trade that Blues defense for the Flames in a second.

Archived