Weal signs

Samifan

50 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I was thinking 1.5 million. Going rate around the league is about $1 million/10 points, Weal should be able to hit 17 points if he plays the way he did last season at the end.

If he scores like he did last year, Hextall will have to give him over $4million next time around.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Good deal. The market would have given him that. The kid has talent.

Absolutely.  Hopefully in two years he'll either be so damn good that we can't let him go or the lineup will be so damn good with young'ins that Hextall can deadline deal Weal for some picks or something.

11 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

That's a hometown deal?!?  He got a 1.1 million dollar raise per year!  That's a huge raise for a 37 career games resume!

I'm gonna talk to my boss about getting a hometown deal raise!!

It's about double what all the guys who had never played in the NHL yet made the minute the put on a Flyers jersey.

And just 300k more than PEB was getting.

It's a win.  

28 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If he scores like he did last year, Hextall will have to give him over $4million next time around.

He scores like that and he will bring a sweet haul on a trade out of town....

8 hours ago, King Knut said:

lineup will be so damn good with young'ins that Hextall can deadline deal Weal for some picks or something.

Are you saying that would be the Weal Deal?

:DancingGrape:

20 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

That's a hometown deal?!?  He got a 1.1 million dollar raise per year!  That's a huge raise for a 37 career games resume!

I'm gonna talk to my boss about getting a hometown deal raise!!

Exactly. 

I'm honestly not sure what the excitement is. I don't think he's what people think. We'll see. 

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Exactly. 

I'm honestly not sure what the excitement is. I don't think he's what people think. We'll see. 

So he's not going to pot 50 and win the Norris?

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm honestly not sure what the excitement is. I don't think he's what people think.

That's a good deal for a young guy with some skill. If he doesn't work out, no big whoop.

I think he's our version of Connor Sheary, not as fast but with better puck handling skills.

He was one of the few forwards on the team last year that had a knack for getting into areas where he could score or make a play.  I think he represents the rising tide lifting all the boats, with the tide being the overall skill level of our forwards. One less spot or a guy whose biggest attribute is his game is "responsible" .

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

That's a good deal for a young guy with some skill. If he doesn't work out, no big whoop.

I think he's our version of Connor Sheary, not as fast but with better puck handling skills.

He was one of the few forwards on the team last year that had a knack for getting into areas where he could score or make a play.  I think he represents the rising tide lifting all the boats, with the tide being the overall skill level of our forwards. One less spot or a guy whose biggest attribute is his game is "responsible" .

I buy all that.  I just don't like the 2nd year on a guy who played 37 games and, while good, was only good.   I mean, it's fine, but I don't like the giving away term.  If it took the second year to keep him from Vancouver, then I'm more inclined to let Vancouver have him and replace him.

But, maybe he surprises me. I didn't dislike him, and he did show the ability you say.  So, we'll see.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I buy all that.  I just don't like the 2nd year on a guy who played 37 games and, while good, was only good.   I mean, it's fine, but I don't like the giving away term.  If it took the second year to keep him from Vancouver, then I'm more inclined to let Vancouver have him and replace him.

But, maybe he surprises me. I didn't dislike him, and he did show the ability you say.  So, we'll see.

Look, it's only $250K more than they're paying RJ Umburglar not to play for them this season. I think they'll get more out of Weal than they get from Umburglar...

As has been pointed out, even MacDud's terrible, no good, very bad deal isn't really preventing the Flyers from making moves, so Weal's arguably unnecessary second year on a $1.75M deal won't, either.

I get your reticence about contracts - and obviously I share them - but I just don't think this is a Big Problem. I'm more concerned with giving players like Weise double money and double term on deals that last 4 years.

On the plus side, the Flyers are masters at signing players to deals because they want them to be in the organization and then trading them. So there is that possibility to look forward to.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

I get your reticence about contracts - and obviously I share them - but I just don't think this is a Big Problem. I'm more concerned with giving players like Weise double money and double term on deals that last 4 years

Oh yeah.  Completely agree.  And it's not a big problem.  Especially in the context you couch it in.

I find myself amazed, though, when fans are "oh yay!  They signed a guy for two years based on 37 games!  Woohoo!"  No offense to anyone here, and there are a lot of very knowledgeable people very happy about this.  And I can't say I'm unhappy.  I'm fine.  But I'm not ecstatic because I don't think there's enough evidence to base that on.

In the grand scheme of things, it's a very small cap hit on a team that can afford the cap space at the moment.  And it cheaply--if possibly insufficiently--addresses a need.   It's all good.  And, like I said, it may surprise me.

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

@radoran @ruxpin

I like it when you "pretend" to have conversations.... it makes the whole, "not the same person" thing seem much more believable...*shifty eyes* 

I'll be married 24 years in October.  I've grown quite adept at talking to myself.

“The intent is to sign a goalie and then we’ll wait and see if there’s anybody else,” Hextall said via Dave Isaac of the Courier-Post. “I don’t want to box out young players. I don’t want to bring in a 35-year-old veteran and box out a young player. We felt really strongly about Jordan Weal.”

This is really good news for orin and Hagg who will be given every chance to steal a roster spot.

This will give the Phantoms a defense of:

Sanheim/Myers

Brennan/Friedman

O'neill/Willcox

Mark Alt

Impressive as hell that is 4 right hand Dmen in the AHL unheard of.

And when you figure in contracts like this....

...for a guy who has never even scored 20 goals but once in like 10 years makes Jordan Weal's 1.75mill for 8 goals 12 pts in 23 games like a bargain to me........

From what I read, one of the reasons why Weal re-signed in Philadelphia was that he was guaranteed a top six spot by Hakstoll and Hextall. As well, he and Simmonds are going to be a pairing, so it's either Giroux or Couturier who's going to center the line. If that's the case, we might be seeing the following as the top six:

Weal - Giroux - Simmonds

Konecny - Couturier - Voracek

I could live with that. I'm content with what Hextall's approach is. As well, Weal at $1.75 million per season is a good deal. I think we're looking at 50 to 60 point player.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

...for a guy who has never even scored 20 goals but once in like 10 years makes Jordan Weal's 1.75mill for 8 goals 12 pts in 23 games like a bargain to me........

It very well may be a good deal. Only time will tell. And it is a very reasonable cap hit.  I am just amazed that he will make almost 3 times as much on this contract as on his previous contract and he only has 37 NHL games.  

1 minute ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

It very well may be a good deal. Only time will tell. And it is a very reasonable cap hit.  I am just amazed that he will make almost 3 times as much on this contract as on his previous contract and he only has 37 NHL games.  

I'm sure they had to pay extra to keep him from his home town Canucks who needed him as well....no proof of this just guessing.

His outstanding 5 on 5 play warranted it amongst the forwards they have.

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That Hanzal contract is putrid. I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole and that contract. Horrible, horrible, horrible. 

Just now, ruxpin said:

I don't mind it. At least here they're paying for potential. If he can score at half of his pace last year, it'll turn into a solid signing.

Just now, AJgoal said:

I don't mind it. At least here they're paying for potential. If he can score at half of his pace last year, it'll turn into a solid signing.

Well, it's a helluvalot better than Shatty for $6.65M for 4.  I'll give it that.

So after resigning the kid it sure make Ron look smarter trading Luke Schenn and Vinny for basically Jordan Weal and Carsen Twarynski...

...jury still out on Carsen who is playing his last year of juniors and should be a Phantom next year.

A nice LW prospect with size (6-2 198) who should slot in the 3rd line next year in the AHL...and go from there...no telling how high his ceiling will be...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=171141

Flyers can now stick another won the trade banner up!!!!!! :hehe:

Archived