G on wing

King Knut

G Coots Jake

may be a result of Simmonds taking another day of maintenance (hopefully thats just a bruise or something not worth pushing at this stage) And Lehtera and Patrick looking like NHL players after 1fake game.  

Im fine with it, G's fine with it... can't believe they'd move him and keep Val at C (Val played more wing the past few years than C anyway) 

On 9/20/2017 at 1:04 AM, King Knut said:

G Coots Jake

may be a result of Simmonds taking another day of maintenance (hopefully thats just a bruise or something not worth pushing at this stage) And Lehtera and Patrick looking like NHL players after 1fake game.  

Im fine with it, G's fine with it... can't believe they'd move him and keep Val at C (Val played more wing the past few years than C anyway) 

They're doing everything they can to get Couturier going, eh?  :VeryCool::yeah::ph34r:

Giroux should be fine with it, he played wing throughout his development until he got to the NHL.

It might not be a bad idea to see if having Giroux do "less" allows him to do "more" as a playmaking wing. And camp is where you find that sort of stuff out.

That said, I guarandamntee he's back at center.

when I first heard

21 hours ago, radoran said:

They're doing everything they can to get Couturier going, eh?  :VeryCool::yeah::ph34r:

Giroux should be fine with it, he played wing throughout his development until he got to the NHL.

It might not be a bad idea to see if having Giroux do "less" allows him to do "more" as a playmaking wing. And camp is where you find that sort of stuff out.

That said, I guarandamntee he's back at center.

I don't understand it. Who in their right mind with the power to make personnel decisions in that organization thinks he is a top six player?!

48 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

when I first heard

I don't understand it. Who in their right mind with the power to make personnel decisions in that organization thinks he is a top six player?!

Well, my comment was a gentle poke at Knut... :cheers:

It's hard to take anything from a split squad preseason pre-roster-cutdown environment, but I can see some value in seeing if lightning strikes with certain combinations in that environment. Clearly, it didn't. 

Couturier isn't a top six player at this point, but he is a nice, solid top nine player and that's exactly what they need from him. If they can get 15-20 goals and 35-40 points with him being defensively responsible and providing a productive third line, that's great. That's essentially the production level they've been getting. I don't think anyone here is sitting around thinking "their real problem is not enough production from the third line". More goals are always nice, but if the first two lines don't produce, getting 20 from Couturier instead of 15 isn't going to make a bit of difference.

Anything more is a bonus.

On 9/22/2017 at 10:05 AM, fanaticV3.0 said:

when I first heard

They are still basing it solely off of his play versus Malkin, sadly.

26 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I don't know. Couturier looked really good at the end of last season.

He has had flashes but he needs to put it up consistently over time. It's not that hard to be the best 5v5 guy if the rest of the team sucks 5v5 :)

On 9/21/2017 at 12:09 PM, radoran said:

:plus1:

I guess we will soon see on Monday night vs the Rangers.  Moving Giroux to wing really opens up a number of options for Hakstol making the case that they will keep Nolan Patrick this season.

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Weal - Fillpula - Simmonds
Konecny - Patrick - Read
Raffl - Lehtera - Weise

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

:plus1:

I guess we will soon see on Monday night vs the Rangers.  Moving Giroux to wing really opens up a number of options for Hakstol making the case that they will keep Nolan Patrick this season.

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Weal - Fillpula - Simmonds
Konecny - Patrick - Read
Raffl - Lehtera - Weise

I'm ok with that lineup except i would rather see Laughton in there over Read.

10 hours ago, brelic said:

And Lindblom over Read. 

I'm not sure Lindblom starts with the Flyers as he is an easy call up from the Phantoms for awhile.

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm ok with that lineup except i would rather see Laughton in there over Read.

Yeah, I'm cool with Laughton also.  I think he makes the team with Read and Weise alternating with the press box.

I think we are going to see a lot of line changes this fall.

@hf101 That's true, he's an easy callup. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a deal to move a body out - Weise or Read. Those guys make too much money for what they bring.

Also:

Charlie O'Connor‏ @charlieo_conn  Sep 23
More
 Reading between the lines (pun intended), I'd guess the last F battle is mostly between Matt Read and Taylor Leier, with Vecchione trailing.

Charlie O'Connor‏ @charlieo_conn  Sep 23
More
 On Vecchione: "We've got a deep roster right now. Spots are hard to come by. If he's gotta start out down below... that's the way it is."

Thise here who know me know that I will defend Couturier a lot. 

Even so, sticking him between G and Jake is just not the best move IMHO. 

I dont mind shifting G to wing.   I don't even mind putting Coots at his center.  But all three of them are just a bad idea.  

Here's why:

a) there are no finishers on that line.   They're all play drivers and set up men.  Coots gets the puck into the o zone well.  He makes good neutral zone passes well.  He occasionally is good at capitalizing on a good loose puck or wide open opportunity to score, but he's not a good finisher who can shoot and score from the slot.  That's what a line with the other two needs. 

b) too damn slow.  None of them are good skaters or at least not any more.  The play takes way to long to develop and the D gets behind them too fast. 

c) it puts your two best face off men on the same damn line. 

I avsokutely do not think Jake and G should be together any more.  It makes no sense. giroux won't shoot the puck to save his life anymore.  If you want to our Coots and G together and sacrifice the face offs, fine.  But give them someone with some speed. Kinecny weak at least. 

I'm not against it as much as you are.   Hakstol is trying anything he can to get Jake & Giroux going again.  

Jake looks horrible to me so far this preseason.  He is fighting the puck.  

Giroux has not actually tried to beat anyone since about 2 season ago.  He skates into the zone and pulls up.  It's so predictable it's not even funny anymore.  

Sticking them with Couturier might force them both to shoot more often.    

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I dont mind shifting G to wing.   I don't even mind putting Coots at his center.  But all three of them are just a bad idea.  

Here's why:

a) there are no finishers on that line.   They're all play drivers and set up men.  Coots gets the puck into the o zone well.  He makes good neutral zone passes well.  He occasionally is good at capitalizing on a good loose puck or wide open opportunity to score, but he's not a good finisher who can shoot and score from the slot.  That's what a line with the other two needs. 

b) too damn slow.  None of them are good skaters or at least not any more.  The play takes way to long to develop and the D gets behind them too fast. 

I avsokutely do not think Jake and G should be together any more.  It makes no sense. giroux won't shoot the puck to save his life anymore.  If you want to our Coots and G together and sacrifice the face offs, fine.  But give them someone with some speed. Kinecny weak at least. 

I wouldn't look to far into it.

It is just preseason.

They have plenty of centers yet not enough LW to be able to play these games and give guys rests.

You notice noone has played every game it is just more lack of LW depth is all.

Once they sort the bodies out i'm sure he will be he #1 enter.

Patrick making or being sent back is a big factor too.

3 hours ago, Digityman said:

Jake looks horrible to me so far this preseason. 

I'm glad someone else noticed this too.

He looks like he is handling a live grenade out there at times.

His puck control has vanished it looks like...i can't get over how much he has regressed.

He has to get better...has too.

Giroux on the other hand looks good and i swear he looks a step faster.

Which is good to see.

So i would like to keep Jake away from Giroux till Jake gets out his funk. I don't want whatever is ailing him to hurt/rub off on Giroux.

G needs just needs some guys on his wings who can skate and snipe his passes.

Weal and Simmer might be a god set for him to start.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wouldn't look to far into it.

It is just preseason.

They have plenty of centers yet not enough LW to be able to play these games and give guys rests.

You notice noone has played every game it is just more lack of LW depth is all.

Once they sort the bodies out i'm sure he will be he #1 enter.

Patrick making or being sent back is a big factor too.

I think the GWG last night ( I just finished the game on my DVr) supports what I'm saying either way. 

Giroux needs speed and finishing. Jake too.  I'd separate them. But if they're together they need those two things even more be it at c or lw. 

3 hours ago, Digityman said:

I'm not against it as much as you are.   Hakstol is trying anything he can to get Jake & Giroux going again.  

Jake looks horrible to me so far this preseason.  He is fighting the puck.  

Giroux has not actually tried to beat anyone since about 2 season ago.  He skates into the zone and pulls up.  It's so predictable it's not even funny anymore.  

Sticking them with Couturier might force them both to shoot more often.    

If jake could take a pass he might be able to shoot.  He can't handle anything thing. 

The talent and speed are on the team elsewhere.  

If not Weal then at least Simmonds on their right. 

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm glad someone else noticed this too.

He looks like he is handling a live grenade out there at times.

He puck control has vanished i swear it looks...i can't get over how much he has regressed.

He has to get better...has too.

Giroux on the other hand looks good and i swear he looks a step faster.

Which is good to see.

So i would like to keep Jake away from Giroux till Jake gets out his funk. I don't want whatever is ailing him to hurt/rub off on Giroux. G needs just need some guys on his wing who can skate and snipe his passes.

Weal and Simmer might be a god set for him to start.

Here here! 

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

Here's why:

Agree completely with this.  

Regarding (a), case in point was the 2 on 0 the other night and they failed to get a shot off.

Regarding (b), Giroux has looked better than last year but still not "fast."  No one would ever describe Couturier as fast.  Jake is OK, but not a blazer.  They don't play smart enough to make up for lack of speed.

Regarding (c), it does create matchup issues for the other team, but I get concerned about overall faceoff depth.  They're a weaker faceoff team overall as a result.

4 hours ago, Digityman said:

Well, he did find Morin for that goal last night.  Pretty nice play, actually.  However, you're right that Giroux doesn't have the speed or burst to beat d-men.  He's got to be smarter and more creative nowadays.

Archived