Nolan Patrick - Stay or go?

brelic

Patrick - Stay or go?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers keep Nolan Patrick on the roster, or send him back to the WHL?

• Stay on the Flyers
    • Back to the WHL

5 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

This...

He is not getting sent down anytime soon.  I would think he will be out of the lineup for a while and I just hope he takes his time coming back at 100%.   To me, it was a clean hit and just a freak accident.   

We are how many games in and folks are already dogging the #2 overall pick?!?   Gotta love Flyers fans...

And I will say it again - folks were saying the same thing after Prov's start last year.   It is going to take time for the kid to feel comfortable in the NHL - maybe longer since he has not played that many games over the last year or so.   

So was the Laughton hit and that took several years to get him back to a useful NHL player.

I don't think Patrick is getting sent down, and I'm certainly not dogging him - but I haven't likewise been "wow, look at that". He's a nice, 19-year-old kid out there.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, radoran said:

I don't think Patrick is getting sent down, and I'm certainly not dogging him - but I haven't likewise been "wow, look at that". He's a nice, 19-year-old kid out there.

And I don't disagree...   I was hoping that he would come out and play great but I keep going back to his abdominal injury and realize he has not played much over the past year.   Right now he is defensively responsible and not killing the team.   Do I want more offense out of him?  Absolutely...

19 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

This...

He is not getting sent down anytime soon.  I would think he will be out of the lineup for a while and I just hope he takes his time coming back at 100%.   To me, it was a clean hit and just a freak accident.   

We are how many games in and folks are already dogging the #2 overall pick?!?   Gotta love Flyers fans...

And I will say it again - folks were saying the same thing after Prov's start last year.   It is going to take time for the kid to feel comfortable in the NHL - maybe longer since he has not played that many games over the last year or so.

TK isn't exactly lighting it up this year either...   they have the same amount of points.     

I don't think it's about dogging him - just wondering if after a 9 game sample, is he ready for the NHL? There's no question he looks slow most of the time. That might improve or it might not - and Hextall can make the call to send him back if he thinks that's better for his development long term. 

I think he's looked great in spots, but for the most part, he's been just ok, and sometimes, he's looked like the rookie he is. That's not a criticism, just an observation. It's a comment on the here and now, not a projection of how he'll end up.

I lean towards keeping him up.

3 minutes ago, FLYERS67 said:

Also, didn't last year Hextall said that if you made the team, you weren't going back to your Junior team? IE T.K. & Provy 

Yes, but injury may change that view.  If the medical results dictate that he be out at least two months - and you have the ability to put him in juniors - that might change things.  Absent the injury, I wouldn't send him back to junior.

On another note, maybe its best to keep him here even with the injury.  Might afford them better opportunity to monitor his health progress.  We already know the Brandon docs aren't so stellar given the missed diagnosis last year.

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

he's looked like the rookie he is.

I think TK looked like a rookie last night.   He was terrible and made some seriously lazy plays....

The issue is the lineup if you send him down.   You would then have 2 out of 3 of Weise, Lehtera and Read in the lineup.   Based on Hextall's comments Martel is not going to come up.

It will be interesting to see how this group responds after last night's game.  

This team isn't going to contend anyway, so why waste the time of your 2nd pick keeping him in the minors? This is especially true since whoever you're going to replace him with isn't any better. I've seen improvements, however subtle in his game, from pre-season to now. Let him play at the NHL level, and go through the roller coaster ride that is an NHL season.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think he needs to regain his scoring touch. I think his defensive game is solid however i detect a slip in his confidence shooting the puck.

This sounds all too familiar.  I've been on couturier's case for 6 years now.  When couturier is centering Giroux and voracek in year 7 though, it turns out that maybe he can play.  All of those years that he was a "top defensive forward" while the flyers were struggling to score goals, maybe they should have put him in an offensive role instead.

Can anyone remind me of who JVRs main linemates were when he joined the team?  I was excited to see where Patrick would end up in the roster before the season started.  Would he be the 2C or maybe even the 1C?  Instead, he is the 3C between weise and TK. 

I was reading about rookie forwards that are playing better than patrick, and it seems like they have better linemates.  Why does it seem like the flyers never know what to do with the rookies?

Even with provorov, they pair him with MacDonald to start his career.  Don't get me wrong, I respect MacDonald as a calming vet, but I don't know if he compliments provorov's skill very well.

34 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I think TK looked like a rookie last night.   He was terrible and made some seriously lazy plays....

The issue is the lineup if you send him down.   You would then have 2 out of 3 of Weise, Lehtera and Read in the lineup.   Based on Hextall's comments Martel is not going to come up.

It will be interesting to see how this group responds after last night's game.  

Provorov looked like a rookie too. 

What did Hextall say about Martel?

29 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Well, in a strange turn of events Patrick said he is "good to go" for Thursday:

http://sonsofpenn.com/nolan-patrick-says-hes-good-to-go-against-senators/

He has to go through concussion protocol, doesn't he? So he has to be cleared by the medical staff to play, but I'm happy Patrick says he's good to go. That's a positive sign that nothing's really wrong.

27 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

He has to go through concussion protocol, doesn't he? So he has to be cleared by the medical staff to play, but I'm happy Patrick says he's good to go. That's a positive sign that nothing's really wrong.

i guess he was cleared...  he was on the ice this morning.

37 minutes ago, brelic said:

Provorov looked like a rookie too. 

he said that it was a small sample size and basically don't get overly excited.   He needs to prove he can prolong the success and not just be a hot start.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Sure, but I'm talking about in terms of already missing 13 games of the season and potentially missing more time pending the results of the hit and then coming in as a recovering-from-injury player.

Not exactly the ideal recipe for having a "great" year, but could result in a playoff run.

What's best for the player's development (and safety for that matter) at this stage is always paramount.

Well i am concerned about his head issue if there is but regardless he would stand a good chance to dominate in junior have a good year and get his confidence back.

Compared to staying in the NHL playing a defensive secondary role potting a few goals and points.

Not sure which is best. Not claiming to know.

56 minutes ago, brelic said:

He said leading the AHL goals isn't enough he needs to learn to play goalie to if he wants to come up and have a chance to bakup Elliot the chosen one.

Sorry for the smart ass comment.

Never seen a club so scared to throw a kid who is playing well a goddamn bone to see where it could lead.

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

Well, in a strange turn of events Patrick said he is "good to go" for Thursday:

http://sonsofpenn.com/nolan-patrick-says-hes-good-to-go-against-senators/

55 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

i guess he was cleared...  he was on the ice this morning.

Good news.  I totally trust the organization's handling of head injuries, especially when it comes to high profile players.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Never seen a club so scared to throw a kid who is playing well a goddamn bone to see where it could lead.

isn't that kind of counter intuitive to the argument for sending Patrick back to Jr?  He outplayed other and made the team this year based on his play.   

@vis

@murraycraven

@OccamsRazor

I wonder if Patrick had a little whiplash from that hit.

Last year my car was hit from behind. I felt like hell for the rest of the day,  couldn't focus my eyes, couldn't keep a thought, i really thought I had another concussion  so I went to the doctor, test was negative. He said probably had whiplash and my nerves were  "pissed at that guy that hit you".  my doctor is pretty cool. 

I'm sure the staff put him through the protocol for liability purposes, if he passed it might be because he had whiplash.  That hit with no direct contact is kind of text book for that injury.

3 hours ago, brelic said:

I don't think it's about dogging him - just wondering if after a 9 game sample, is he ready for the NHL? There's no question he looks slow most of the time. That might improve or it might not - and Hextall can make the call to send him back if he thinks that's better for his development long term. 

I think he's looked great in spots, but for the most part, he's been just ok, and sometimes, he's looked like the rookie he is. That's not a criticism, just an observation. It's a comment on the here and now, not a projection of how he'll end up.

I lean towards keeping him up.

I'm not dogging him either, but everyone jumped down my throat last year for bringing up the same exact topic about provorov.  I basically said that it's early but he hasn't been impressive...he made a lot of bad mistakes that included him tripping over his own feet and giving up goals.

He ended up the season as the best defenseman.  Hopefully Patrick just needs a little more time to get used to the NHL.

4 hours ago, murraycraven said:

This...

TK isn't exactly lighting it up this year either...   they have the same amount of points.     

You know how it is with certain Flyers fans, the Flyers lost last night so it is time to trade and demote everyone now. Patrick stays up and it is simple as that. Not every player will get the benefits of being sent down to "regain confidence" etc.. A player of Nolan Patrick's skill set and caliber will only  benefit by staying with the big league, this isn't Laughton  we are talking about here.

2 hours ago, murraycraven said:

isn't that kind of counter intuitive to the argument for sending Patrick back to Jr?  He outplayed other and made the team this year based on his play.   

No. I'm not talking about Patrick.

I'm talking about kids who are in the AHL who are 20 or older.

They can be recalled and sent back when needed.

Patrick can't once he is sent back he has to stay in junior unless an emergency arises than can be.

And just because he made the club doesn't mean they can't change their mind.

Archived