Game #21 Canucks at Flyers

jammer2

Markstrom vs Neuvy. Canucks have been one of the NHL's surprise stories in the 1st quarter of the young season. I figure a blow out fo the Flyers. I'm calling for a 5-0 decimation of the Nucks. The game might even get chippy as it gets out of control. Weal gets his first hat trick. 

Vancouver Canucks surprise team indeed.

They still may not put enough pucks in the net, but are defensively decent and Jacob Markstrom is showing he may be an NHL starter after being a back up just about his entire career.

Philadelphia SHOULD be favorites in this one, but one also can't be too surprised that Vancouver is controlling most of the play (and winning) here.

Canucks have scored some pretty big wins against supposed better teams already this season, so if the Flyers aren't ready for these guys, Van's gonna take this.

Didn't watch the game so won't comment other than to say i think this is what 5 straight losses now. Right?

I'll check standings later.

Not sure what needs to be done beaides scratching some players...insert names here and calling some hungry players up.

I can't see Hextall firing a coach.

And it would be to easy to do that and let the players off the hook.

However with that being said Hak is suppose to be a good guy with the kids so when are we going to see progess in this area?

I'm out of answer so i'll listen to other suggestions.

And before anyone says anything i already know they have to get secondary scoring.

Ghost has not anywhere close to what he was before he missed some games this year due to concussions.

I would be open to Sanheim being sent to the AHL to work on his defensive game. Give Sam and shot.

Maybe the Flyers are missing their silent leader.....Mcdud?

HA HA HA had slip a joke in there.

Except i'm not joking. Seriously.

39 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Is it bad that I have lost almost all interest in this club? 

Meanwhile Hextall will sit on his hands and do nothing. 

It's not bad at all. I watched until it was 3-1 Vancouver, and then I decided to do something else instead. The game was not interesting and the way they were playing told me there was no comeback happening lol. 

It's ok - there are 82 games, and probably 30-40 wins. Even among those wins, maybe half of them will be exciting games lol. SO far this season, they've generally been a much better team to watch, and I'd still say only 5-6 games so far have been truly exciting hockey games. 

So, no, it's not bad at all! Don't waste your time watching things that aren't worth it lol!

56 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Didn't watch the game so won't comment other than to say i think this is what 5 straight losses now. Right?

Winless in 5 (0-3-2).

Not sure what needs to be done beaides scratching some players...insert names here and calling some hungry players up.

Good question. Vancouver did a great job of clogging up the neutral zone and forcing turnovers, especially at their own blueline. We have trouble with that kind of system. 

And the way Hakstol has our defensemen involved in the play and looking for offense is great when it works, but yields so many odd man rushes against when it doesn't. Ghost is probably the worst offender, and gets constantly exposed - on the flip side he is also our most dynamic offensive defender. So what to do?

All of the forwards except the top line look brain dead, even Patrick. I watched him closely for two periods, and he's making a ton of bad decisions. Of course, that's expected just 10 games in his NHL career, and having jumped straight from juniors. I just hope he's a quick learner! The contrast between him and Boeser, who is a rookie but one year older, was huge. Boeser is fast, skilled, and has a great shot - he was always in those open spaces. Patrick will grow into his role over time, but his mediocre foot speed really does have me concerned. 

I can't see Hextall firing a coach.

Agreed. I've finally come to the dark side and am losing faith in Hakstol. Hexy might give him the year to right the ship, and then re-evaluate. 

And it would be to easy to do that and let the players off the hook.

However with that being said Hak is suppose to be a good guy with the kids so when are we going to see progess in this area?

What I see with Hakstol is that he isn't afraid to play the kids, which is probably the biggest component of developing them. They need to play, and make mistakes, and cost us games. It's part of the learning process.

And before anyone says anything i already know they have to get secondary scoring.

Yup. More of the same last night. A goal from a defenseman, and the top line. Even against the Flames the other night, two defensemen scored, plus Patrick but he was on the top line with G and V. It still hasn't changed.

I would be open to Sanheim being sent to the AHL to work on his defensive game. Give Sam and shot.

Sounds like that might happen tonight - Alt seemed to be clearing out his locker, and it would make sense that Morin is recalled. Unless, of course, MacDud is ready to come back?

“I hope people know what we think of him. He certainly knows what we think of him,” Hextall said of Morin. “Right now, we want him playing 20-plus minutes.”

Maybe the Flyers are missing their silent leader.....Mcdud?

HA HA HA had slip a joke in there.

Except i'm not joking. Seriously.

Agreed. Not on the top pairing... but any veteran helps. I mean, Ghost is the veteran blueliner right now. GHOST! 

@brelic

Sorry my PHONE is not behaving when i am trying to pick a certain quote to address.

But agree with most of what you said.

So as far as Ghost is concerned i would love to see him with a defensive defenseman like Morin they had great chemistry in LV and think they can rekindle that.

Not to make excuses but Manning isn't exactly air tight in his defensive zone coverage either and in fact is more of the offensive type of Dman.

Just look at his horrible AHL +/- numbers he always lit the lamp and produced point yet always horribly in the +/- catergory for a reason.

Let's call he just the Flyer version of TJ Brennan if you will.

Flyers need more guys who can play better in their own end 1st.

Right now they only have two.

Ivan and Hagg.

Sam can help here. 

@brelic

Hey i just found his quote maybe it's a good sign.

The Philadelphia Flyers might be shaking things up on defense. After Tuesday night’s loss, defenseman Mark Alt was carrying his sticks and equipment as his locker was being cleared out. It could be a sign that he’s headed back down to Lehigh Valley, as the Phantoms play in Wilkes-Barre tonight.

Alt has been a solid stop-gap on the blue line, but he’s nothing more than that. He could be a seventh defenseman for the Flye

That will leave a hole in the Flyers lineup with Andrew MacDonald out until at least Friday, and Radko Gudas suspended until mid-December. That hole could be filled by Sam Morin.

So why else would Alt be clearing out hos locker especially with Gudas out for 8 more games and Mcdud not due back till next friday.

#fingerscrossed

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

Is it bad that I have lost almost all interest in this club? 

Meanwhile Hextall will sit on his hands and do nothing. 

I feel the same way and was talking to a co-worker about that this morning. I get regression, rebuilding, etc. However, this team has not gotten any better since Hextall took over. 

I am so sick of hearing the "future" is so bright because I haven't seen it yet (other than Provorov).

1 hour ago, Bertmega said:

I feel the same way and was talking to a co-worker about that this morning. I get regression, rebuilding, etc. However, this team has not gotten any better since Hextall took over. 

I am so sick of hearing the "future" is so bright because I haven't seen it yet (other than Provorov).

exactly in the same boat...   Until these prospects are proven NHLers we won't know how he has performed.   I am not on the "Hextall is God" bandwagon that most fans seem.   Yes, he has done well in the draft but most of these kids are nowhere near the NHL and the ones that are we simply don't know yet.   Provorov was an easy pick b/c he fell in the Flyers lap.   Patrick fell int he Flyers lap as well...

It is one thing to be patient but right now I have not seen much progress.   Two stop-gap goalies and a handful of players that are borderline NHLers - Weis, Read, Lehtera...    I was hoping this season would be fun to watch but I find myself less interested than nearly every other year.    This team has been stuck in neutral for far too long and Hextall expects the fans to stay patient for 3-5 more years until his prospects are ready?   

58 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

This team has been stuck in neutral for far too long and Hextall expects the fans to stay patient for 3-5 more years until his prospects are ready?   

That will change as soon as people stop going to the games. 

3 hours ago, Bertmega said:

Honest question - what did you expect to see this year?

On 11/22/2017 at 12:27 PM, brelic said:

Honest question - what did you expect to see this year?

Better than 8th in the Metro. Maybe an upward trend. Call me crazy, but more than what we have seen over the last four years.

Archived