2017-18 NHL Trade deadline

The trade deadline will be of great interest this year and I am wondering what mindset my Sabres have at the moment.  This goalie, Nillson, painful to even type his name, as he is no Donnie Edwards let alone Hasek or Miller, let in a stinker vs Dallas that made me stop watching the game.  The Sabres were doing ok until Sharp skated down the left wing and from an angle that no goalie should ever allow a puck to go past him, it did.  And it sealed my opinion that this guy is a bum.  You cannot go far withoiut a good goalie.   Most of the readers here are Flyers fans .   So I will use them as an example.  Mason has really come around the last couple of years.  Now i know he had a tough stretch not long ago but at least you have a guy you can depend on even though I would not put him in the same category as a Lundquist or Miller.  Yes, Miller.  And lets just be clear, he is one of if not the best.  And I will take him over anyone.  ANYONE.  And Vancouver has to know that with the old Sedin's they are not going to win the West.  If they sneak  in as an 8 seed I will be shocked.  So they need to trade him, and I am hoping its back where he belongs in blue and gold.  He might as well give it a try?  I mean, if he came back he could really give us a shot in the arm and these shootouts would not all be loss's.  

As for the reality of the deadline, do you see any real big moves?  Earth shattering?  I think teams like the Capitals and Penguins and such are satisfied.  A team that has sort of fallen off, even though their record might fool you is the Chicago Blackhawks.  Not the same scary team that they were 3 years back and same for the Kings who are up and down.  I think that there is much parity right now with the exception of a couple of teams.  Columbus has not been the team they were during that huge winning streak but they are going to be on the short list of contenders.  A team like St Louis is not where they expect to be with the talent they have.  So they might be ready to make a move?  They have likely burned their bridges with Miller but I wonder if a guy like Higgins could help them?  If he is still around?  If defense is the true issue?  Or have they stopped listening to Hitch?  So if anyone here knows of any roster moves or trade rumors do post them!!!!!!

• hf101 changed the title to 2017 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion
  • hf101 pinned this topic
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

3 way deal...Flyers send a 3rd round pick to the "Nucks for Miller...then trade Miller to the Sabres for Eichel/Ristolainen/Reinhart and a 1st. 

Everyone is happy.

We'll throw in MacDonald and Streit.

Ha Ha Ha.  Arent we the wisenheimers?  Get real and give me some real data ye starry eyed dreamers.  Eichel and Ristolainen will be Sabres for years  to come and Reinhart too.  You will have fear in your eyes and in your hearts when you must take the ice against the likes of them.  Miller will be reeled in by someone at no doubt less of a price than his worth.  He is far better than any goalie any of our teams currently have.  

6 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Ha Ha Ha.  Arent we the wisenheimers?  Get real and give me some real data ye starry eyed dreamers.  Eichel and Ristolainen will be Sabres for years  to come and Reinhart too.  You will have fear in your eyes and in your hearts when you must take the ice against the likes of them.  Miller will be reeled in by someone at no doubt less of a price than his worth.  He is far better than any goalie any of our teams currently have.  

While I would not be surprised if Miller is traded there is no guarantee, the Canucks are playing better than anticipated and are on the fringe of the playoffs and might want to keep him, as Markstrom has yet to really prove that he is anything to write home about in net plus after absolutely bombing in St. Louis as a playoff rental teams might not be willing to go out and give anything up for him.

As for your Sabre boys, they are going the right way but it is not this year. I would not be shocked at all if they deal Kane to the Kings which is going around right now, the Kings have a need for a top six forward to replace Lucic and Kane fits the bill perfectly, So I think the Sabres are much more likely to entertain the idea of selling rather than buying although in a few of the wilder scenarios that I have read the Sabres make a move for Marc Andre Fleury reuniting the goalie with Bylsma which in its own way makes a lot of sense as Lehner is not the answer in net, but I believe it makes more sense for the Penguins to keep MAF until the summer and then, before the expansion draft doing something......

On 1/30/2017 at 6:11 AM, yave1964 said:

While I would not be surprised if Miller is traded there is no guarantee, the Canucks are playing better than anticipated and are on the fringe of the playoffs and might want to keep him, as Markstrom has yet to really prove that he is anything to write home about in net plus after absolutely bombing in St. Louis as a playoff rental teams might not be willing to go out and give anything up for him.

As for your Sabre boys, they are going the right way but it is not this year. I would not be shocked at all if they deal Kane to the Kings which is going around right now, the Kings have a need for a top six forward to replace Lucic and Kane fits the bill perfectly, So I think the Sabres are much more likely to entertain the idea of selling rather than buying although in a few of the wilder scenarios that I have read the Sabres make a move for Marc Andre Fleury reuniting the goalie with Bylsma which in its own way makes a lot of sense as Lehner is not the answer in net, but I believe it makes more sense for the Penguins to keep MAF until the summer and then, before the expansion draft doing something......

I cannot argue with what you say at all.  I would think they must get a decent return for Kane.  He is not going to be free.  I think it will depend on where they sit in a month.   But with these goalies, I am not holding my breath.  I like the way they are playing.  But the goaltending is crap.  Lehner is certainly the better of the two but he is no Miller.  Miller needs to take his head out of his arse and come back here. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Hockeywriters just put out their top 25 most tradeable players. Interesting list...

http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-trade-deadline-top-25-available-players/

There's some quality journalism going on there....Evander Kane is linked to Buffalo? He ALREADY plays there!

Ben Bishop linked to Philly? Please God, no.

"Buffalos Drew Stafford"???

Come on Hockey Writers. 

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

There's some quality journalism going on there....Evander Kane is linked to Buffalo? He ALREADY plays there!

Ben Bishop linked to Philly? Please God, no.

"Buffalos Drew Stafford"???

Come on Hockey Writers. 

Well....most of them make sense....ha ha. How do you miss this badly, huh?  The main reason I posted it was guys like Stone and a few other d-men, their presence in the deadline sweepstakes could make it tougher to deal Streit and the boys.

On 1/29/2017 at 0:36 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

The trade deadline will be of great interest this year...

Indeed it will be. :)

I am wondering what mindset my Sabres have at the moment.

Oh no... here it comes...  :no:

This goalie, Nillson, painful to even type his name, ...

(Sphincter clenches...)  :dizzysmiley-1:

...as he is no Donnie Edwards let alone Hasek or Miller,

There it is!!!!  :bonkingheadonwall:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Are the Pens going to add another important piece? Are the Hawks folding? Do the Jets need to do anything?

Which team is going to make biggest splash at the deadline? Which team is having a fire sell? Which player is the hottest commodity?

What do you all think?

34 minutes ago, Hatrik98 said:

Are the Pens going to add another important piece? Are the Hawks folding? Do the Jets need to do anything?

Which team is going to make biggest splash at the deadline? Which team is having a fire sell? Which player is the hottest commodity?

What do you all think?

My #1 team, the TB Lightning were rumored to be looking for two things:

1) a top nine forward for depth and some scoring

2) a veteran shut down defenseman who can also skate well.

Of the two, and given that the Lightning have looked awfully soft on the blueline, I would think they would prioritize the defenseman.

If they can get both, great...but I think a veteran D is more valuable to them at this stage.

Names like Mike Green from the Wings, Jack Johnson of the Jackets, Ryan McDonagh of the Rangers, and some crazy thing about Erik Karlsson from the Sens (I doubt this one very much though) have been bandied about.

Personally, I would like either Mike Green or Jack Johnson even though they'd basically be rentals.....but they would be a bit more cost effective than say trying to get Ryan McDonagh, who likely costs the Bolts a high draft pick, a prospect, and maybe a roster player.

Still though, Yzerman is pretty shrewd and he might find a way to get the Rangers a good value while still keeping his own core intact while netting McDonagh for the Lightning......but if the Rangers asking price is too high, I'd be happy with either Green or Johnson.

Well you got Coburn, Sustr, and Hedman. That’s 3 solid d-man that can skate well. Hedman is big but more of an offensive d-man. Not sure about Green. He’s great on the PP and can skate but doesn't like to check. I think he’s a -9 right now. I know it’s the Wings but he wasn’t the best defensive d-man with the Caps either. Johnson would be a huge pick up for the Bolts. I think price tag would be way too high for Karlsson.

21 minutes ago, Hatrik98 said:

Well you got Coburn, Sustr, and Hedman. That’s 3 solid d-man that can skate well. Hedman is big but more of an offensive d-man. Not sure about Green. He’s great on the PP and can skate but doesn't like to check. I think he’s a -9 right now. I know it’s the Wings but he wasn’t the best defensive d-man with the Caps either. Johnson would be a huge pick up for the Bolts. I think price tag would be way too high for Karlsson.

Coburn is fine as a third pair guy.

Has been all season. He actually has come a long way from his days in Philly and has become pretty dependable....provided he isn't matched up constantly against the opposing top lines.

Most nights you don't hear his name called, but that is a GOOD thing in his case, because it means he is making the safe, simple plays, and does a decent job keeping people off the goaltender.

Andrej Sustr? Nah.

I was a fan of his when they first brought him up, but

A) He simply doesn't play like a man of his size (6'7 225) SHOULD play.....just not that big tough defender.

B) He isn't exactly finesse either, and he is often outmaneuvered by even third line forwards

C) Confidence in him by the coaching staff has waned slowly over the last two or threes seasons. He has been a healthy scratch on many occasions.

D) His decision making sometimes can be downright maddening.

I'll take Mike Green over Sustr any day.

Green is more offense oriented, true, but the guy actually has an underrated checking game.....more like a smart man's checker than a freight train, if you will..... and he can be a decent shot blocker.

I bet his +/- would be better on a team that scored more and defended just a bit better.

His 'no defense' Washington days are far behind him.

He is no defensive juggernaut by any stretch, but I believe he plays it better than many think.

First domino in net fell last night, Mrazek to the Flyers for a couple of conditional picks. It has its own post so it is well thread and is well covered in here.

Some rumors:

Blues want a top six winger and not a rental so Kane unless he signs first may not be the guy they are looking at, possibly Hoffman from Ottawa may be headed there. 

Green to Tampa is big right now, he has been out for two games, rumor out of Motown is Green is almost certainly going to Tampa the return depends on if they can sign him it is a first rounder, if he comes on board as a rental it will be a second and a middling prospect.

Babcock wants Glendening as a 4th line center, right handed faceoff man and penalty killer, looks like a second and Leivo.

Rick Nash can be had.Actually most anyone on the Rangers can be had right now. Grabner may be Dallas bound and would be a great fit.

Evander Kane is linked in a lot of rumors to Anaheim which makes a lot of sense as they like grit players.

Ottawa is willing to deal Brassard and Pageau and they are the only good centers mentioned right now. Brassard to Carolina for prospect Jake Bean has been mentioned and kinda makes sense.

Patrick Maroon to Boston seems to be growing legs. Grit middle six winger to play with Krejci.

Pacioretty to the Blues seems to be another option if they don't land Hoffman.

Pageau to the Pens for Ian Cole and picks has also been hot lately.

Probably the craziest rumor is from Nick Kypreos who is probably talking out of his rear, he says there is a 50/50 chance Ottawa deals Karlsson now while he still has a year left on his deal and maximumvalue. I doubt it but ya never know.

5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Probably the craziest rumor is from Nick Kypreos who is probably talking out of his rear, he says there is a 50/50 chance Ottawa deals Karlsson now while he still has a year left on his deal and maximumvalue. I doubt it but ya never know.

Yes, he's coming to Toronto.  :)

- 90% chance he gets traded now.

- 50% chance it's to the Leafs. Babcock knows the value of having a "Lidstrom" on a team.

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Yes, he's coming to Toronto.  :)

- 90% chance he gets traded now.

- 50% chance it's to the Leafs. Babcock knows the value of having a "Lidstrom" on a team.

Speaking of Toronto trades....what's up with the Leafs stashing goalies in the AHL??

I mean, Toronto seems fine with the tandem of Andersen / McElhiney at the NHL level...but you guys also have Calvin Pickard and Garrett Sparks in the minors, and they are doing damned good down there, and BOTH, especially Pickard, have NHL experience.

I seem to remember Pickard being pretty decent on a horrible Avalanche team last season.

With a bunch of teams (Buffalo, Philadelphia, Vancouver, Arizona just to name a few) needing goalies, is Toronto holding those guys as high value trade chips?

Heck, even teams like Edmonton and possibly Minnesota and Los Angeles could use a backup better than what they have.

I wonder if any teams have called the Leafs about either.

They both seem 'blocked' right now as long as Andersen plays like the #1 he has been and McElhiney continues to be a solid backup.

Even if the Leafs decided to part with McElhiney and bring up one, still leaves either Sparks or Pickard stuck in the minors.

Maybe we will see one of their names come up in a trade package come the deadline.

8 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

With a bunch of teams (Buffalo, Philadelphia, Vancouver, Arizona just to name a few) needing goalies, is Toronto holding those guys as high value trade chips?

That would be my guess. However you can obtain/develop assets, you do it.  :)

McElhinney is the quintessential backup. Andersen has been awesome. Leafs are set there unless an injury occurs. 

Hockey Central on NHL Network were talking about Erik Karlsson again today....and the team that keeps coming up, is, gasp, my Tampa Bay Lightning.

Oh, I am sure MANY teams are sniffing around Ottawa to see what really it is going to take (and if they have it) to snatch Karlsson from the Sens, but my 'concern', for lack of a better term, is Tampa Bay and if they can really afford to part with the necessary pieces to acquire him.

Then comes the question...as good as Karlsson is, would he be WORTH it to Tampa Bay to give up a 1st, 2nd, a top prospect AND a good NHL roster player for?

Not to mention that while he has some term left on his current salary, he is due a ginormous payday very soon.......right around the time Nikita Kucherov comes due.

And they already have Stamkos signed to a big money contract, as well as Hedman.......oh yea, and Andrei Vasilevskiy will be needing a big contract if he continues to play like a Vezina candidate.

I am just having a hard time seeing where Erik Karlsson will fit, money wise, on the team.

And if the Bolts DO trade for him, you know some big money has to be removed from the current roster.

Can't be Ryan Callahan ($5.8M) because he has a NMC....Can't be Alex Killorn ($4.45M) because he has a NTC

So that leaves Tyler Johnson ($5M, 6 yrs left after this one) and Ondrej Palat ($5.3M, 4 yrs left after this one)...NEITHER of which have any special clauses in their contracts.

Honestly, I can't see TB parting with any other moveable roster players other than those two and still remain competitive for years to come, like they plan on doing.

Another team being bandied about for Karlsson are the NJ Devils.

Plenty of cap room, some roster players they can send Ottawa's way (Severson's name came up) and Jersey's 1st and 2nd rounders too.

Then of course, there is talk that the Sens may even bypass the trade deadline with Karlsson, have him finish out the year with them, then make a trade at the draft, ala Cory Schneider going from Vancouver to the Devils.

But this Karlsson to Tampa Bay talk has me a bit nervous.

I mean, I would LOVE to have a defense core of Hedman, Karlsson, Sergachev, Stralman, Girardi, Coburn heading into the playoffs, but at what long term cost personnel-wise and at what financial cost when it comes time to sign Vasilevskiy, Kucherov, Namestnikov, and Sergachev when their time comes?

Perhaps Yzerman should take a pass on this, look at Jack Johnson/Mike Green again....or see if they can get Cody Ceci from the Sens instead....and let the Leafs have Karlsson.... eh, @WordsOfWisdom ?  :ahappy:

Just picked this off while perusing various twitter feeds...

According to Darren Dreger, the NYR have traded Michael Grabner to the rival NJ Devils for a 2nd round pick and a yet to be named prospect.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

EDIT: Prospect now is named.... 

20 yr old defenseman Igor Rykov, currently playing in the KHL's St. Petersburg SKA

Archived