Game 60: Flyers vs Canadiens 2/20/18 at 7 pm

OccamsRazor

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pucked in the head said:

I think voracek should have taken that shot instead of the extra pass back to G!

Yes he should have! He had half the net and once he passed back to Giroux it was a difficult angle. Perfect example of their pass first mentality. 

Agree with JJ and Clement, this team has glue.  Lyon may be lucky (lots of post help tonight) but he also made some darn good saves and has a good glove.  Our new addition may be the starter but Lyon seems plausible.  He did a thesis on global thermonuclear war...how many goalies can say that? He just said he is "comfortable within chaos."  Love it.

It is fun to watch.  Now we have to worry about Simmonds.  

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Agree with JJ and Clement, this team has glue.  Lyon may be lucky (lots of post help tonight) but he also made some darn good saves and has a good glove.  Our new addition may be the starter but Lyon seems plausible.  He did a thesis on global thermonuclear war...how many goalies can say that? He just said he is "comfortable within chaos."  Love it.

It is fun to watch.  Now we have to worry about Simmonds.  

Nice they found a way to win.

The Devils and Caps lost tonight too.

Even better.

7-1-2 in their last 10.

Jackets coming in Thursday.

Should be a Mrazek vs Bob battle!

Some thoughts from last night...

1. Pass, pass, pass.

The Flyers gave up several grade A chances by opting to pass instead of taking the obvious shot. None was more obvious that the Giroux / Voracek 2 on 0. Of course Voracek passed!

Best quote of the night goes to Voracek, interviewed by Bundy after the OT winning goal: "I wanted to pass but I was at the end of a shift, so I said screw it, I'll take a shot and see what happens." And he says all this with a straight face! Lol

2. Lindblom 

I thought he played really well in his NHL debut. Over 15:11 TOI - including 1:25 on the PP - he was strong along the boards and had a few great opportunities around the net. He did not look out of place at all.

3. Provorov

Charged with a team-high 4 giveaways last night. The rest of the team had 7. I wonder if he's just mentally fatigued. It seems almost every game lately, he's guilty of some glaring brain cramps that turn into major giveaways - and not necessarily under pressure. As the broadcast crew said last night, Ghost has turned into a top defenseman with a strong all around game, and he's been the one bailing out Provorov lately.

It's easy to forget that he just turned 21 and in his 2nd NHL season. He'll find his game again. In the meantime, it's nice that Ghost has developed to bring stability to that pairing. 

4. Lyon

He played well last night, coming up with some big saves. Still, he still looks shaky and was bailed out by a few posts. Hextall was smart to go out and get Mrazek - excited for his debut tomorrow night.

18 minutes ago, brelic said:

The Flyers gave up several grade A chances by opting to pass instead of taking the obvious shot. None was more obvious that the Giroux / Voracek 2 on 0. Of course Voracek passed!

Might of had a hat trick....it has be proven you will not score a 100% of the time you don't shoot....

:bonkingheadonwall:

26 minutes ago, brelic said:

Hextall was smart to go out and get Mrazek - excited for his debut tomorrow night.

Yeah this guy may just be the bridge to Hart.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

It would be nice to get him some new pads and his mask painted before tomorrow nights game.

31 minutes ago, brelic said:

Best quote of the night goes to Voracek, interviewed by Bundy after the OT winning goal: "I wanted to pass but I was at the end of a shift, so I said screw it, I'll take a shot and see what happens." And he says all this with a straight face! Lol

LOL... yeah I pretty much laughed out loud when I was watching the interview.  Even my wife got a good chuckle out of it.  :)

27 minutes ago, brelic said:

Some thoughts from last night...

1. Pass, pass, pass.

Can't teach an old dog...hopefully one or more of Lindblom/Ratcliffe/Allison/our 1sts this year turn out to be shooters. We've got more of the same coming with Frost/Rubstov, definitely pass first mentalities. Konecny and Patrick will shoot more the higher their confidence gets.

2. Lindblom 

I thought he played really well in his NHL debut. Over 15:11 TOI - including 1:25 on the PP - he was strong along the boards and had a few great opportunities around the net. He did not look out of place at all.

I didn't see the game as we played a rare Tuesday nighter. Glad to hear, I'm rooting for this guy to make it.

3. Provorov

Charged with a team-high 4 giveaways last night. The rest of the team had 7. I wonder if he's just mentally fatigued. It seems almost every game lately, he's guilty of some glaring brain cramps that turn into major giveaways - and not necessarily under pressure. As the broadcast crew said last night, Ghost has turned into a top defenseman with a strong all around game, and he's been the one bailing out Provorov lately.

It's easy to forget that he just turned 21 and in his 2nd NHL season. He'll find his game again. In the meantime, it's nice that Ghost has developed to bring stability to that pairing. 

Sophomore slump? I'm not worried, maybe they've relied on him too much over the last 2 seasons. He's shown he can play the game at a high level...it'll come back. Ghost has stepped up, but he's also 4 years older than Provy. 

4. Lyon

He played well last night, coming up with some big saves. Still, he still looks shaky and was bailed out by a few posts. Hextall was smart to go out and get Mrazek - excited for his debut tomorrow night.

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't (an NHL backup) He could still have some big league jitters going on. 

Archived