Chances of Playoffs, Opponent and Similar

Digityman

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Devils and Jackets won.

Lyon will need the best game of his life to get the win tonight.

#mustwin

We have been saying must win for this team that last 4 or 5 games and sadly this team doesn’t appear capable of pulling off a clutch win.

#notconfident

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

We have been saying must win for this team that last 4 or 5 games and sadly this team doesn’t appear capable of pulling off a clutch win.

#notconfident

I know it feels that way.. but they are 3-0-3 in their last 6, so 9 of a possible 12 points. Yeah, they let some points slip away, but it's not like they're dogging it out there. They are moving forward. 

If they can grab 6 points over the last 5 games, I think they'll be ok. 

Panthers have Leafs, Bruins x 3, Sens, Preds, Canes, and Sabres. That's a tough stretch!

54 minutes ago, brelic said:

They are moving forward.

actually, with they way the rest of the teams are playing they are stuck in neutral.  They really have not made up any ground in the race.   I say they will need 7 points in the last five and a little help.   I still think they get in but with the goal-tending issues and defensive breakdowns nothing is a given.    

If they make it great!!  If not they are exactly what I thought they would be this year.  Is till think the playoffs is fool's gold this year.   I think they get blasted by the Pens or the Caps in a series.

The flyers have a habit of bringing in has been's or backups on cup winning teams, they wouldn't recognize a good goalie if they saw one,(future players exempt, they haven't had a chance to wreck their careers,yet!) And when we had on in Bob he wouldn't listen to their b.s. and they trade him cause he doesn't fit their (broken) mold of what they think a goalie should be

On 3/28/2018 at 3:24 PM, Pucked in the head said:

The flyers have a habit of bringing in has been's or backups on cup winning teams, they wouldn't recognize a good goalie if they saw one,(future players exempt, they haven't had a chance to wreck their careers,yet!) And when we had on in Bob he wouldn't listen to their b.s. and they trade him cause he doesn't fit their (broken) mold of what they think a goalie should be

what ?

Bobs was traded because the team mismanaged his contract.

There wasn't any..."i'm not taking Homer's b.s." .  He was traded so he could play, Homer did him a solid.  

What Homer and Laviolette also did was play Bob too much on his entry deal so he was no longer waiver exempt. 

He was too good to not play and would have been claimed off waivers had they tried to play him in LV. 

His contract was exhibit A under "mismanagement of assets".

My recollection was that the big problem was Bryz.  We signed space cadet to that deal and Bobs said I’m outta here.  He told the Flyers he would not resign with the team to be a backup and would rather go back to Russia than to be here so we traded him.

Here is the article...

https://www.google.com/amp/nhl.nbcsports.com/2014/09/15/snider-bobrovsky-told-flyers-he-wouldnt-re-sign-with-them/amp/

2 hours ago, Pucked in the head said:

Either way, they didn't recognize what they where giving up or they would have found a way to keep him!!!!! No matter how jacked up of a deal they would have concocted!!! (As per their history of "great" deals)

I think they knew what they were giving up.

there's nuance here that you are choosing to ignore.

Snyder even says in the article" It’s not that we did not like Bobrovsky. The whole thing was a fiasco. We can’t look back. What happened, happened, and here we are."b

Had they not ****ed up the year before playing Bob in the lost playoff series with the Bruins there would have been better options to try o keep him in-house. But the die had been cast.

Bryzgalov was a bad decision no matter how you look at it.

Homer has been "promoted" and Ed Snider is dead. So the people making those decisions aren't making them anymore.

11 hours ago, Pucked in the head said:

bryzgoofoff would have never been part of the equation

Bryz is part of all equations. 2174f519deba2c9198068e9d7fc6b22e262d5b73 + Bryz

Silly wiki images won't link. Ruining all the jokes. Well, anyway:

175d0588be9702f7d8e919c32fff52133ca6877e

So at least the Panthers and Devils only got a point out of their games last night.

Helps a little.

I hate when the Flyers have this much timr off between games.

Just means they will come out flat and Leaky Pete in goal they will be behind no less than 2-0 by the end of the 1st vs. Bruins sunday.

So with 4 games left the max points the Flyers can get is 100.

Max points Devils can get is 99.

Max the Panthers can get is 98.

So best case scenario is for the Flyers to win out.

So it will be nice if the Devils lose one of their 5 remaining games.

The Panthers need to lose one more too.

I can't see Flyers winning out they will need some help.

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So at least the Panthers and Devils only got a point out of their games last night.

Helps a little.

I hate when the Flyers have this much timr off between games.

Just means they will come out flat and Leaky Pete in goal they will be behind no less than 2-0 by the end of the 1st vs. Bruins sunday.

So with 4 games left the max points the Flyers can get is 100.

Max points Devils can get is 99.

Max the Panthers can get is 98.

So best case scenario is for the Flyers to win out.

So it will be nice if the Devils lose one of their 5 remaining games.

The Panthers need to lose one more too.

I can't see Flyers winning out they will need some help.

So we should see Lyon about half way through the second period huh? (With Leaky Pete in net to start)

need to win. if we don't win, we're gonna lose. 

tough game Sunday. Bruins are playing good hockey right now when good teams are getting warmed up. We're limping our way in to (or out of) the playoffs again,  but it's valuable for the team to get this experience under the belt for the future. instability in net is one of our recurring problems—clearing the zone and making too many passes seems to be another one of late. got to clean this **** up if we plan to make it out of the first round in the future. 

They're all gonna be tough from here on out, the question is do the Flyers have the toughness (we know some do ) but now it's time for all the question mark players to put up or shut up and pack their bags and catch the next thing smoking outta town!!!!! 1 team in and 3 teams out left on the schedule, DON'T PLAY DOWN TO THE LEVEL OF THE LESSER( SPOILER) TEAMS.... GOTTA PLAY AT THAT " NEXT " LEVEL AND THEN SOME,(if needed) super gut check time.....Are we or aren't we a playoff team????? These last 4 games should show who really wants it on this team and who the "check cashers" are....

45 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

They're all gonna be tough from here on out, the question is do the Flyers have the toughness (we know some do ) but now it's time for all the question mark players to put up or shut up and pack their bags and catch the next thing smoking outta town!!!!! 1 team in and 3 teams out left on the schedule, DON'T PLAY DOWN TO THE LEVEL OF THE LESSER( SPOILER) TEAMS.... GOTTA PLAY AT THAT " NEXT " LEVEL AND THEN SOME,(if needed) super gut check time.....Are we or aren't we a playoff team????? These last 4 games should show who really wants it on this team and who the "check cashers" are....

On 3/27/2018 at 1:15 PM, brelic said:

I'm not sure I understand this. It sounds like you are saying playoff experience has no bearing on the rebuild. 

A few more playoff misses in the name of drafting and rebuild, and we could become Edmonton East. 

Again, I'm not sure I understand this attitude. Is it useless for New Jersey or Florida to make the playoffs? 

The thing about the future is that it is uncertain. Hart may NEVER become a #1 goalie. That is absolutely a possibility. Frost might never be more than a 3rd line center. Or a career AHLer. It definitely happens to drafted players more often than not. 

A 1st round exit this year means TK, Patrick, Sanheim, Provorov, Hagg, Lindblom et al get to experience the pressure in the playoff push and the playoffs, and the sting of losing. It makes them hungrier and better players. 

And the next time they're there, they have experience to draw upon and develop another gear. 

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying....but...explain (for example cause they're so easy) Washington. They've experienced plenty of playoffs....the pressure (they're probably feeling that right now) and the sting of losing (they're probably getting ready for that right now).

Year after year they have what appears to be a cup caliber team. And year after year they bow out in the first or second round. They don't ever seem to be capable of building on that experience. 

Now you can argue the other way and say they already have their 1st overall guy in OV and a few other top 10 picks. And like I said, I get what you're saying. I'd prefer a shot at Dahlin, Svechnikov or Zadina, cause I think that gives us a better shot at a cup down the road than a handful of playoff games. The odds of winning (moving up in) the lottery twice aren't very good of course. They're a lot better if you're actually in it though. There wasn't a soul on here who thought we'd end up with Patrick last draft.

That said, I think it's a playoff year for Philly. I just won't be all that upset if they don't make it. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying....but...explain (for example cause they're so easy) Washington. They've experienced plenty of playoffs....the pressure (they're probably feeling that right now) and the sting of losing (they're probably getting ready for that right now).

Year after year they have what appears to be a cup caliber team. And year after year they bow out in the first or second round. They don't ever seem to be capable of building on that experience. 

Now you can argue the other way and say they already have their 1st overall guy in OV and a few other top 10 picks. And like I said, I get what you're saying. I'd prefer a shot at Dahlin, Svechnikov or Zadina, cause I think that gives us a better shot at a cup down the road than a handful of playoff games. The odds of winning (moving up in) the lottery twice aren't very good of course. They're a lot better if you're actually in it though. There wasn't a soul on here who thought we'd end up with Patrick last draft.

That said, I think it's a playoff year for Philly. I just won't be all that upset if they don't make it. 

You do have a point. This year that seems very unlikely of course, but I do get what you're saying. The Caps are a very interesting case, SJ is another one. Dominant teams that seem to lack that x-factor needed to push them towards a cup. Meanwhile, the Pens and Hawks win with what I would consider far fewer elite-level players.

What do the Pens have the Caps don't? Is it similar to what the Hawks have had over the past while? Whatever it is, it's clearly very important. Do we have whatever that is in the works already? I doubt it. I feel like we'd know it, and I'm not feeling it.

Looking at the team this year, they strike me as being not so much better than last year. Sure, the kids can be flashy, and the hope is they'll become better in years to come of course. Overall though, they're largely in the same bubble team area as last year, this despite a resurgent Giroux, break out Couturier, and the revelation that has been TK.

At this point, we're at year three of the Hextall experiment. I think it's fair to start asking how much longer he will be given to make this into a contending team. So far, he really hasn't had much actual success. We can point to draft and prospect results all we want, what ultimately matters is cup contention.

So what does he get? Five years to prove it? I'd say that's probably fair. That would mean two more seasons to show the team he's building is positioning itself as a contender in the league. Is that the path we're on? That's a harder question to answer. There's always the danger the building from the draft style of management ends up being too slow for one thing. It may also make it even more difficult for us to obtain the x-factor that teams like the Pens and Hawks have had in recent years.

Here's the rub when looking at those teams: Crosby, Malkin, Kane, and Toews. Sure, there were other very important players in the mix (Hossa, Fleury, and Kessel come to mind), but I'm pretty confident those secondary factors would be lost without the big guns.

Is that caliber of player needed to build a contender in this era? I hope not, but it does seem that way sometimes. I hope not because that caliber of player is generally only available with a top 1-3 pick. Is Patrick that guy? It's possible... he has a lot to prove next year if so.

I say next year because next year is year four. What are the expectations? I think the expectation for next year is we're not fighting for a wild card spot in the dying weeks. I think if this current situation is the same again next year, the pressure will start to mount on the Flyers brass (and rightly so.)

Archived