Game 77: Flyers at Stars; 3/27 @ 8:30

Howie58

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Need to stop relying on offense from the defense, and take shots when the opportunity arises , when the shots not there then throw it back to the point and try then, that shouldn't be the first play (to the d)  shoot the puck,stuff home a rebound,( ala coots in Pittsburgh game) goals are goals dirty, pretty, ugly wtfe  pucks on net.... How has that extra pass been working??? Usually leads to NO SHOTS ON GOAL!!  Try throwing one on net from a schitty angle maybe we'll get lucky with a few garbage goals... Something, anything.... throw the friggin kitchen sink at their ass!!!!!!

I just posted for tomorrow night's game and Dave Hess has an interesting stat on the Flyers: We are 2-7 in our last nine against winning teams.  We have struggled against the good teams and find ourselves in playoff contention by the skin of our teeth.  

I don't see tonight as a goalie issue, though the first one was not well played by PM.  We outshot the Stars.  But we have outshot our opponents frequently and lost quite often this year.  Heat Maps from prior games tell the story. We shoot from too far out. Tonight we missed 18 altogether.  

We have one good line.  The rest are so-so to awful.  We may be lucky to eke out a point a game.  The pundits say we need 95 to get in.  So...we need to average a point a game.

Yes, have to endure in person and it's not a friendly group over there.... but we hold our own quite well.   Would be nice if the Flyers could put one decent game together.  I guess it will be at least interesting to see the Flyers season make a turn one way or another.

Yeah I went to a game a few years ago, some doosh started talking schitt and getting in my face and I got my seat moved (I paid $200 for two third or fourth row seats behind the wife beater varlomov') I'll never give that organization another penny of my money they can go to h e double hockey sticks!!!! And kiss my arse right in the middle

7 hours ago, Pucked in the head said:

Here's an idea hey mrazek how about you steal a game for us?

He didn't but Ivan did man good thing he knows how to play goal...

giphy.gif

..he had seen enough of Mrazek to know he better get back there and block that from going in....power play a dud again i know shocker!

Jackets and Devils won last night....Flyers are going to need a miracle to make the playoffs it seems.

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

We shoot from too far out.

Can't blame them for trying to beat the other team with shots they keep seeing themselves get beat by.

Human nature to try the same. Other teams are just getting better goaltending.

well, it was a point at least.

tonight must be a win yet they are continually making it more difficult on themselves.   Sad they couldn't jump on a team that is on a bad losing streak and not in the race,  Gudas is turning into "McDud Part Deux" and really brings nothing to the table.   

TK is becoming a favorite of mine - kid just has "it."

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

We outshot the Stars.  But we have outshot our opponents frequently and lost quite often this year.  Heat Maps from prior games tell the story. We shoot from too far out. Tonight we missed 18 altogether.  

I saw periods 1 and 2 and there were about 6 quality in close chances the Flyers didn't finish on.

Simmonds had 3 really good chances from his sweet spot that he didn't convert, Lehtonen got in the way, whatever.

So heat map or not, It isn't like the Flyers don't generate quality chances, they have been. They haven't been finishing. I don't know what the answer is, but to say the team is just shooting from the point is inaccurate. 

The thing I notice is when the puck is bouncing around in the crease our guys get their sticks tied up, their guys don't .  I notice this with the Pens especially, do our guys go to the box when they tie up sticks ?  The first Dallas goal was a case where our guy was with the goal scorer stride for stride, yet their guy had control of his stick and was able to make a play. Is that coaching ? Does there need to be a philosophical change about the way the Flyers play defense ? It isn't like there are porch clearers blasting our guys out of the crease.  It is forwards sagging back and tying guys up... 

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

Gudas is turning into "McDud Part Deux" and really brings nothing to the table.   

Speaking of Mcdouche had he not taken that delay of game maybe they don't score that PP goal.

I wish Hagg was atleast in instead of Manning then maybe Manning doesn't get owned on that Faska goal. (Sure it would have helped on that one too if Mrazek wasn't 10 feet out his crease but that is a whole different arguement)

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Speaking of Mcdouche had he not taken that delay of game maybe they don't score that PP goal.

I wish Hagg was atleast in instead of Manning then maybe Manning doesn't get owned on that Faska goal. (Sure it would have helped on that one too if Mrazek wasn't 10 feet out his crease but that is a whole different arguement)

agree completely....  IMO, Gudas and Manning need to be exiled this year.  

Mrazek looked like he was already in Colorado on that goal!   Way over committed....

It is what it is at this point and they are honestly where I thought they would be at the beginning of the year.   If they lose tonight things will start to get really interesting.   

Funny stat

Dallas is sagging and supposedly sucks and all, yet they have more wins than the Flyers. So there's  that.

I think there is something to @Howie58 's 2-7 vs winning teams info nugget.

Not sure that I have any full on answers, other than lots of young guys need to learn how to win.  Hopefully there are lessons being learned from these losses.  

I can't help but feel hopeful when I watch Patrick and Lindblom.  Those guys arejustthisclose to being really good.

36 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Not sure that I have any full on answers, other than lots of young guys need to learn how to win.  Hopefully there are lessons being learned from these losses.  

and lots of veterans that need to be dumped...  Filp, Lehtera, Weise, Manning and Gudas...  

I am very hopeful but this is what they are...  a playoff bubble team.   Until this team rids themselves of these (and it is soon) type of stiffs we can only hope the young players continue to progress...

oh, and then there is that goalie thing.   a total dumpster fire in b/t the pipes...

Had the game on while I was working on some things.  Mrazek is terribly positionally and he over-commits.  Not a good combo.  No idea what he was thinking on the first goal.  Manning and Gudas are just terrible.  Thought they were pretty good upfront.  I still understand what happened on the OT goal.  I get that they got trapped in a line change and Ghost was in no-man's land.  But how did the line change get so botched?

Ocams your video of the Flyers playing shinny in front of their net is exactly why they are where they are. 4 supposed pieces of the future pretty much standing and watching 2 of the best offensive players in the league whack away at the puck. The goalie is lying down swimming in the crease, Provorov is playing road hockey goalie kneeling in the net, Patrick is watching Seguin bang away at rebounds, Ghost is playing goalie 10 feet in front of the net, Lindblom is doing nothing, and not once did any one of the 5 Flyers on the ice even consider hitting a Stars player. PATHETIC. 

42 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Ocams your video of the Flyers playing shinny in front of their net is exactly why they are where they are. 4 supposed pieces of the future pretty much standing and watching 2 of the best offensive players in the league whack away at the puck. The goalie is lying down swimming in the crease, Provorov is playing road hockey goalie kneeling in the net, Patrick is watching Seguin bang away at rebounds, Ghost is playing goalie 10 feet in front of the net, Lindblom is doing nothing, and not once did any one of the 5 Flyers on the ice even consider hitting a Stars player. PATHETIC. 

yeah they were all just standing around there...

really ?

Maybe take a break during the rebuild, there will be room on the bandwagon once the team matures.

Archived