About time!

Congrats to the Washington Capital fans and their team.  Ovechkin was drafted 15 years ago and over that time he's learned not only how to be a great player, but a great leader, a great teammate and a great champion.

It took a long time for Trotz too to win it all. 

• Like 1

Congrats to the Caps, well deserved. The funny thing is, statistically this is like their fourth or fifth best team in the Ovie era, but they finally learned how to win in the postseason and get over the igloo hump. 

They were down two games to none in the first round to Columbus and in double overtime in game three, if they had lost that game it would have been all over realistically, time to go to the golf course. Lars Eller scored in double OT what to me has to be the biggest goal in team history.

I can't gin up much hate for the Caps, many of their role players and some of the stars played for my beloved Hershey Bears.

Plus there are a couple of 3 good guys not associated with Hershey on the team too, I like that Barry Trotz won, he seems like a nice man and has been a consistently good coach. I like TJ Oshie too, I think he plays a hard game with skill, he plays in the tough areas and takes his lumps to get his points...  Tough to hate on a dude like that, Kuznetsov is ****** fun to watch, he showed some  stones and some clutch in these playoffs too. All that said, I was hoping for more hockey, this outcome was inevitable, I would have liked one more game at least, now there's no hockey until October. le sigh.

So yeah, yay and  all that, this must be the year for "long suffering fan bases" yada yada. when's the draft ?

I'm not a fan of Ovechkin, but looking at his carrer he had to win it at least once. Ironically, the Caps won it as they were not waited anymore after choking several times during the postseason. They had less pressure and that surely helped.

Quite an abrupt finish for Vegas with this 4th straight loss, but reaching the final remains quite an astonishing performance. Again, one of the deciding part of the final was the tenure of Washington's bottom-6: their 3rd and 4th line were well above Vegas'.

I'm wondering if Bergevin slept well that night, given the fact Smith-Pelly and Eller (who scored the tie-breaking and winning goal in game #5, respectively) were pretty much underestimated but key contributors in this final. Besides that, A little thought for Karl Alzner who claimed out loud when he signed with the Habs that "Montréal was closer to win a Cup than Washington"...

• Like 1

My 1988 self hates me for saying this, but I am happy for the real Caps fans (I know a couple, they really do exist) that have been waiting for this since the old Patrick Division days. Maybe that Iggle win in the Supe made me soft....

But screw Dale Hunter, I hope he has car trouble and diarrhea on the way to the parade 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/8/2018 at 3:57 PM, Villette/Lavaux said:

I'm not a fan of Ovechkin, but looking at his carrer he had to win it at least once. Ironically, the Caps won it as they were not waited anymore after choking several times during the postseason. They had less pressure and that surely helped.

Quite an abrupt finish for Vegas with this 4th straight loss, but reaching the final remains quite an astonishing performance. Again, one of the deciding part of the final was the tenure of Washington's bottom-6: their 3rd and 4th line were well above Vegas'.

I'm wondering if Bergevin slept well that night, given the fact Smith-Pelly and Eller (who scored the tie-breaking and winning goal in game #5, respectively) were pretty much underestimated but key contributors in this final. Besides that, A little thought for Karl Alzner who claimed out loud when he signed with the Habs that "Montréal was closer to win a Cup than Washington"...

The Capitals knew how to get into Fleury head. Learned from his days with the Pens. The difference is the Pens knew that and Vegas didnt!

2 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

The Capitals knew how to get into Fleury head.

And just how did they do that???   Trotz has to be given some type of recognition by coming up with a game plan to neutralize the fast transition style of play that Vegas utilizes.  The Caps effectively kept Karlsson and company off the scoresheet.  Add to that that there were several goals scored off of mis-directions and deflections.  No goalie, no matter how good, can stop those types of shots.  So again I ask, just how did the Caps get into MAF's head?

55 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I hate the Caps, their fans, their city, and if they have dogs I hate them too.

This one was admittedly well-deserved, but I won't be the one admitting that. 

Not a Caps fan either, but actually do like the city. It's quite special to go to a US city where the highest building does not have more than 12 floors.

And do not forget: it's the only city in the world where you could can go by mistake in a sports-gay bar, getting out of it drunk, then yelling "looook over there, it's the IMP boss. Hi IMF boss !" when it was actually the IMF boss over there...

On 6/17/2018 at 12:51 PM, pilldoc said:

And just how did they do that???   Trotz has to be given some type of recognition by coming up with a game plan to neutralize the fast transition style of play that Vegas utilizes.  The Caps effectively kept Karlsson and company off the scoresheet.  Add to that that there were several goals scored off of mis-directions and deflections.  No goalie, no matter how good, can stop those types of shots.  So again I ask, just how did the Caps get into MAF's head?

There are things done and things said to him that out him off his game. Which in MAF's case its quite easy to do!

3 hours ago, notfondajane said:

And I thank you! Do you think Ovi retires?

No.  He goes to the KHL, has his NHL contract nullified, and comes back in 5-6 years for a farewell fundraising tour.

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...
On 6/8/2018 at 7:09 AM, hf101 said:

Congrats to the Washington Capital fans and their team.

And now a disrespectful black eye for the club...

...no love for their own Women championshipship!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mystics-capitals-nationals-twitter-dc-championship-213308792.html