Malkin gets game for swinging stick (poll)

yave1964

Malkin suspension, too much, to little just right?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the Malkin suspension?

• Too little- shoulda been more because of past infractions
    • Just right, no actual contact but a dangerous play
    • Shouldnt have gotten anything he deserved at most a slashing penalty in game

I am not a Malkin apologist, far from it, I have stated hehas deserved suspensions that he has gotten away with things half a dozen times dating back to at least the 2009 SCF so for at least a decade he has gotten away with things that a non superstar never would. 

However.

it was his first game back from injury after missing five games, the game was essentially over and Malkin making a hockey play on the puck had his back to him, Raffl first gave him a slash to the back and then a punch to the head with the lineseman ten feet away who should have called a slash or something and didn't. Malkin swung his stick, did not hit Raffl who fell like he was JFK in Dealy Plaza. He essentially sold it.

If the linesman had done his job and blown the whistle for the Raffl slash and cheap punch to the back of Malkin's head it would have ended there. IMHO the wrong player was suspended. Raffl should be reviled for this play.He sold it, the on ice officials bought it and Malkin was suspended. I wont cry for Malkin because God only knows he has done enough in the past to deserve suspensions but Raffl should have been kicked out and fined for this one, not Malkin.

I chose one game, but not for the reason in the choice. 

I don't care that he missed. The intent was there, and it was an extremely dangerous play. 

But reality aside, despite prior actions he's officially a first time offender.  One game is sufficient given that. 

Hopefully now the league is actually paying attention. 

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I chose one game, but not for the reason in the choice. 

I don't care that he missed. The intent was there, and it was an extremely dangerous play. 

But reality aside, despite prior actions he's officially a first time offender.  One game is sufficient given that. 

Hopefully now the league is actually paying attention. 

Agreed the intent was there  BS play by Raffl and horrible non call by the zebra led to it tho, as I mentioned no love for Malkin and his dirty plays but I felt a fine for this at most was in order, with whatever Malkin got, raffl should have gotten the same.

47 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Agreed the intent was there  BS play by Raffl and horrible non call by the zebra led to it tho, as I mentioned no love for Malkin and his dirty plays but I felt a fine for this at most was in order, with whatever Malkin got, raffl should have gotten the same.

I don't know. A sucker punch is vastly different than a stick swing to the head. Raffl should have gotten a roughing, though. 

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

it was his first game back from injury after missing five games, the game was essentially over and Malkin making a hockey play on the puck had his back to him, Raffl first gave him a slash to the back and then a punch to the head with the lineseman ten feet away who should have called a slash or something and didn't. Malkin swung his stick, did not hit Raffl who fell like he was JFK in Dealy Plaza. He essentially sold it.

Doesn't matter you can not in anyway retaliate like that with a wild swing at someone's head.

He is really lucky he didn't hit him in the face or cost him an eye in that crap.

And you surely can't judge it on the damn results. That is crazy.

It would be like not pressing charges on a guy who whips out his fun at the local mall fires off a round in public and only writing him a citation because his bullet didn't strike anyone.

He need to be judge on the act itself.

Should have got two games minimum.

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

If the linesman had done his job and blown the whistle for the Raffl slash and cheap punch to the back of Malkin's head it would have ended there. IMHO the wrong player was suspended. Raffl should be reviled for this play.

That might single handedly be the crazy thing I have every seen you post.

So bad I'm not even going to retort on it.

I'm going to give you a mulligan.

20 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't know. A sucker punch is vastly different than a stick swing to the head. Raffl should have gotten a roughing, though. 

I see it happen all the time to Simmer getting punch in the back of the head near the goal and he retaliates like that by punch the offender back and only Wayne gets called for it this is no different than what Raffl did. Should he have got called too?

Sure but he didn't and finally they got a call....had that been Simmer he would have went to the box.

But in no way should anyone swing a stick like that at a guys face shield or no damn shield he needs to be punished no place in the game for a play like that.

ZERO!

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That might single handedly be the crazy thing I have every seen you post.

So bad I'm not even going to retort on it.

I'm going to give you a mulligan.

Let me clarify. I said suspended, I meant penalized. 

Raffl totally is 100 percent to blame for this period no debate IMHO. This was not a goal mouth scramble where players are fighting for the puck, Malkin knocked down the puck and was looking to get control of it, with the linesman feet away Raffl targeted him, crosschecked him in the back and then punched him in the back of the head. A whistle and a penalty should have immediately happened, instead Malkin lost his crap and swung his stick which I am not defending but Raffl sold it like it hit him in the head which of course it did not. Raffl and the zebra were as much as fault as Malkin in this instance IMHO and I will stick to it. If a penalty had been rightfully called it would have ended there, instead raffl attacked a just returned from injury player with a crosscheck and a punch to the back of the head and tried to skate away. Absolutel BS. He looked like a soccer player with that dive and should be ashamed. 

I agree with Simmonds, he gets called for retaliation way to much, I am sick of players in todays game where there is so little accountability you can punch someone with your gloves on knowing that you wont have to fight, the game has changed so much. No accountability. Not saying Malkin was right, not by a long shot but he was far from the only guilty party in that situation.

for me this is justice served too late. 

Malkin plays dirty, he's a cheap shot, elbow swinging, hot head and it's about goddamned time he visits the league office for his behavior.

That guy has gotten away with far less having done a lot more. If now 10 years into his career the NHL feels its time start holding him accountable for his actions, I say better late than never.  

I am no fan of punching a guy with your gloves on...unless it leads to gloves off.  Raffl isn't exactly a goon and someone from the Pens should take his number for the next game because that was some ******** on his part too. 

IDGAF that Raffl cheap shot-ed 71, he's had it coming for years, if in the later portion of his career Karma is going to run over his dogma I'm here for that outcome.

screw that guy (Malkin)

Malkin plays dirty, he's a cheap shot, elbow swinging, hot head and it's about goddamned time he visits the league office for his behavior.

That guy has gotten away with far less having done a lot more. If now 10 years into his career the NHL feels its time start holding him accountable for his actions, 

and now he will be a repeat offender for his next action....

11 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Let me clarify. I said suspended, I meant penalized. 

Raffl totally is 100 percent to blame for this period no debate IMHO. This was not a goal mouth scramble where players are fighting for the puck, Malkin knocked down the puck and was looking to get control of it, with the linesman feet away Raffl targeted him, crosschecked him in the back and then punched him in the back of the head. A whistle and a penalty should have immediately happened, instead Malkin lost his crap and swung his stick which I am not defending but Raffl sold it like it hit him in the head which of course it did not. Raffl and the zebra were as much as fault as Malkin in this instance IMHO and I will stick to it. If a penalty had been rightfully called it would have ended there, instead raffl attacked a just returned from injury player with a crosscheck and a punch to the back of the head and tried to skate away. Absolutel BS. He looked like a soccer player with that dive and should be ashamed. 

I agree with Simmonds, he gets called for retaliation way to much, I am sick of players in todays game where there is so little accountability you can punch someone with your gloves on knowing that you wont have to fight, the game has changed so much. No accountability. Not saying Malkin was right, not by a long shot but he was far from the only guilty party in that situation.

Yave, as much as I'd like to agree here being a Pens fan, I just can't.  Itshay happens in every game, we can complain about it, but it doesn't matter.  When you carelessly swing your stick at someone, no matter what's happened prior to that, you deserver what you get. 

As a generic hockey fan, I don't want to ever see someone injured by a swinging stick.  Heck, he could just as well have hit Letang or Crosby, he didn't know who was back there.  He's luck he didn't hurt someone.   

So I'm happy that the league suspeneded him even though there was no injury. This is the way it should always be.  If they'd have gotten the original penalty right, that would have been good too, but Malkin got what he deserved. 

5 hours ago, intheslot said:

That guy has gotten away with far less having done a lot more. If now 10 years into his career the NHL feels its time start holding him accountable for his actions, 

and now he will be a repeat offender for his next action....

You know what'll really take care of it for him? A nice, cheap shot against him by someone about as big as he is, that makes that lumbering, skating turd think twice before he tries swinging his stick again.

On 2/13/2019 at 2:57 AM, yave1964 said:

I am not a Malkin apologist, far from it, I have stated hehas deserved suspensions that he has gotten away with things half a dozen times dating back to at least the 2009 SCF so for at least a decade he has gotten away with things that a non superstar never would. 

However.

If the linesman had done his job and blown the whistle for the Raffl slash and cheap punch to the back of Malkin's head it would have ended there. IMHO the wrong player was suspended. Raffl should be reviled for this play.He sold it, the on ice officials bought it and Malkin was suspended. I wont cry for Malkin because God only knows he has done enough in the past to deserve suspensions but Raffl should have been kicked out and fined for this one, not Malkin.

You're saying 'slash' but it was actually a nasty hard cross-check right to the back. It hits and scrapes half way up his back. That... Was an intentional illegal hit on him (even though I'm not a Malkin fan.) Far too often refs let those go (happens to Parise all the time, one game he took 7 hard repetitive blows to the back until he was broke down on all fours and the player was never even called for it; too many of those ended his season back then) and if cheap sh!t like that is going to continue other infractions are going to happen.

While I'm a Wild fan I see it happen to Wild players all the time and if a Wild player so much as bumps into someone with their stick up they get sent to the box. It's bullsh!t the refs are biased with some players to allow it, then ignore it on others.

Of all the cheap crap Malkin has gotten away with over the years... If they called him on stuff like they should players like him wouldn't resort to even nastier stuff.

38 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

You're saying 'slash' but it was actually a nasty hard cross-check right to the back

Uh no sure he does it in the back hardly nasty sure no love tap but it more glances up his back not doing much and we see that all the time...it happens so much it's almost a hockey play not buying that description.

No doubt he should have been a penalty on Rafll.

But those checks to the back happen and go uncalled all the time...good lawd how many times i seen Malkin that cheap shot bastard deliver that type of check to others...should have just dove like his partner would have...

...he is like Tom Wilson does stuff all the time so i don't feel bad for him when it happens to him. He should have sat for two games.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:57 AM, yave1964 said:

However.

Using Raffl 's actions(which really warranted just a 2-minute minor) to rationalize Malkin's response shouldn't happen in this situation. I would not have wanted to see Malkin's stick hit it's mark... 

3 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Using Raffl 's actions(which really warranted just a 2-minute minor) to rationalize Malkin's response shouldn't happen in this situation. I would not have wanted to see Malkin's stick hit it's mark... 

I'm not defending Malkin as much as how this all went down...

But if Malkin's back is to someone who's reaching out with their stick firmly holding it between two hands and crunching it over someone half-kneeling over (who in this case Malkin was knocked off balance - simply put it was a hard hit) then the guy mauls him, punches him in the back of the head... And Malkin without even looking flails back with stick in hand, not even knowing where or who it might hit (which is dangerous and penalty / suspension worthy) but what is his 'mark' you're trying to point out? There is no 'mark' he's trying to hit because he's not even looking for 'a mark' to hit.

He reacted poorly - no doubt about it. But how can "Intent" be ruled if the dude (Malkin) isn't even looking at the 'El-prick-O' who just cheap-shot him twice?

27 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

But if Malkin's back is to someone who's reaching out with their stick firmly holding it between two hands and crunching it over someone half-kneeling over (who in this case Malkin was knocked off balance - simply put it was a hard hit) then the guy mauls him, punches him in the back of the head... And Malkin without even looking flails back with stick in hand, not even knowing where or who it might hit (which is dangerous and penalty / suspension worthy) but what is his 'mark' you're trying to point out? There is no 'mark' he's trying to hit because he's not even looking for 'a mark' to hit.

He reacted poorly - no doubt about it. But how can "Intent" be ruled if the dude (Malkin) isn't even looking at the 'El-prick-O' who just cheap-shot him twice?

My point phrased much better by you than I.  Malkin did deserve his game off for swinging his stick but raffl acted gutless and collapsed on the ice  like a sissy little soccer player.  Lots of blame to go around.  And quite frankly the linesman should be held to account for not penalizing raffle. 

2 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

And Malkin without even looking flails back with stick in hand, not even knowing where or who it might hit (which is dangerous and penalty / suspension worthy) but what is his 'mark' you're trying to point out? There is no 'mark' he's trying to hit because he's not even looking for 'a mark' to hit.

What the f**k are you smoking he clearly knows where the guy was when he hit him (because it was behind him) and then he turns slightly and Raffl is standing to his right and he swings the stick knowing exactly what he was doing.

He didn't have to look at him it was like a no look pass except it was a stick swing something that dirty bastard would try.

And the mark was Raffl face which luckily wasn't hit or it could have been ugly.

2 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

First of all, this was far from a mauling. The crosscheck was barely a penalty--in fact it is rarely called unless into the boards--it was as much of a push as a crosscheck--as was the tap to Malkins head.  I could see maybe an instigator penalty should've been called.

Malkins response was a head level swing of the stick toward Raffl--he damn near hit him. What do you think Malkins intent was? You don't swing your stick like that for nothing.

IMO he got pissed off and lost control..Honestly, Malkin should've dropped the gloves if he was that pissed off, but we all know face to face is not Malkins style.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

What the f**k are you smoking he clearly knows where the guy was when he hit him (because it was behind him) and then he turns slightly and Raffl is standing to his right and he swings the stick knowing exactly what he was doing.

He didn't have to look at him it was like a no look pass except it was a stick swing something that dirty bastard would try.

And the mark was Raffl face which luckily wasn't hit or it could have been ugly.

Insert eyeroll.

At the very least one can only assume where Malkin's stick might have gone.

So, ummm, where in that did Raffl make a play for the puck? No where.

Raffl could just as well been called for hooking, slashing (coming in over Malkin's hands) and holding since he wrapped his arms around Malkin then punched him in the back of the head.

Wild players have been in situations like where Raffl was, and an opposing player reacting like Malkin did by retaliating (not swinging the stick though) but turning around and smacking or whacking the perp... And 99 times out of 100 the Wild player(s) have been sent to the box.

We can sit here and argue it but the officiating leans one way - way too often. That's just the facts.

7 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

So, ummm, where in that did Raffl make a play for the puck? No where.

Raffl could just as well been called for hooking, slashing (coming in over Malkin's hands) and holding since he wrapped his arms around Malkin then punched him in the back of the head.

My apologies for sounding so snarky in my comment was not intended i didn't realize it till i reread my statement.

I'm not absolving of Raffl at all he should have got 2 minutes at least he did start all this but Malkin knew exactly what he was doing and let his anger get the best of him....i'm just glad Raffl avoided the blow because had he not fell backwards he could be missing an eye.

That would be terrible and as big as an asshole Malkin is i know he wouldn't want that to happen.

7 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

Wild players have been in situations like where Raffl was, and an opposing player reacting like Malkin did by retaliating (not swinging the stick though) but turning around and smacking or whacking the perp... And 99 times out of 100 the Wild player(s) have been sent to the box.

Sure and so are the Flyers all the time Simmonds is always relatiating in scrums and it seems others get free shots at him all the time and he gets physical back and next thing you know he is the only one going to the box. In fact refs made very very bad calls in back to back games against the Flyers vs. Pens and then the game vs the Wild.

But the refs have to stop influencing the game....it seems like the NHL headquarters doesn't even care even when it influences the outcome.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure and so are the Flyers all the time Simmonds is always relatiating in scrums and it seems others get free shots at him all the time and he gets physical back and next thing you know he is the only one going to the box. In fact refs made very very bad calls in back to back games against the Flyers vs. Pens and then the game vs the Wild.

But the refs have to stop influencing the game....it seems like the NHL headquarters doesn't even care even when it influences the outcome.

That sums up much of it. (That's why I have my username.)

I'll never forget the Wild game when there was a stoppage of play right after an altercation. I forget the exact altercation, hell... It could have been one of the many times when Pierre-Marc Bouchard was run into the boards suffering one of several concussions... And the Wild had a line change.

The SECOND Derek Boogaard put "one foot" on the ice the ref gave him a 10-minute game misconduct penalty. The cheap biotch who took a run at the Wild player got a 2-minute penalty causing the initial altercation - in all seriousness it was suspension worthy but that never happened.

Archived