Flyers Trade RFA Stolarz for UFA Talbot

King Knut

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It's funny because it's true. 

I know and he is/will be the most sought after goalie this offseason...it's hilarious i say...if he isn't traded at the deadline.

If he is imagine the cost some poor team is going to give up for soon to be 31 year old goalie with 5 playoff wins!!! :hehe:

Bill's take on some of it...

SO that's why the Flyers made this deal? Trading for an older, 5x more expensive goalie with worse stats because they both MIGHT be UFAs. That doesn't make sense.
Doing Edmonton a favor and lose the deal is annoying to say the least.

- kennygarcon

Talbot was also 4th in the Vezina race just two seasons ago and played 73 games that season. His creds are better than Stolie's, struggles the last two seasons aside. Stolie has had three injuries all to the same knee, missed almost all of last season and, recent strong play aside, has been up and down this season, too. 

In yesterday's blog, I expressed my personal preference: Wait until the summer, see how Stolie plays, and then re-evaluate. But I understand the trade, especially in light of Hart considering Talbot a friend and mentor.

I like the trade simply from this standpoint. Talbot is a veteran goaltender who has, at the very least, been able to stay healthy. That cannot be said of Neuvirth or Elliott. He's played in at least 50 games for the Oilers in the last 3 seasons. So, at least from that standpoint, he's somewhat dependable. I'm disappointed a little, simply because this was just a goalie swap, but if this was done because Hart needs a mentor/friend to help him advance, I'm OK with it.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

I like the trade simply from this standpoint. Talbot is a veteran goaltender who has, at the very least, been able to stay healthy. That cannot be said of Neuvirth or Elliott. He's played in at least 50 games for the Oilers in the last 3 seasons. So, at least from that standpoint, he's somewhat dependable. I'm disappointed a little, simply because this was just a goalie swap, but if this was done because Hart needs a mentor/friend to help him advance, I'm OK with it.

Good to get a different take. We don't know how good or bad he might be outside of an Oiler uniform. I'm prepared to find out on a show me contact. 

Does this make me an optimist? Or just stupid?

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Talbot is a veteran goaltender who has, at the very least, been able to stay healthy.

Exactly. Talbot over the last 3 and a half years has played 227 games....Elliott only 148....and well Stolie only 19 in his whole career.

3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I'm disappointed a little, simply because this was just a goalie swap, but if this was done because Hart needs a mentor/friend to help him advance, I'm OK with it.

And i agree right now but maybe this time next year we look back when Stolie is the backup somewhere in Anaheim or something and Talbot is playing well behind Hart and they are in a playoff hunt we can say that was a helluva move Chuck made last year for Cam.

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Good to get a different take. We don't know how good or bad he might be outside of an Oiler uniform. I'm prepared to find out on a show me contact. 

Welcome to the Optimistically Stupid Club. I'm Club President.

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

After all of these years, I still don't know exactly how much is goaltending and how much is defense. I do know, however, that playing behind a bad blueline can make a good goalie look bad, and a good defense can make a good goalie look great. Talbot has given up a goal on the first shot 26 times in these last two seasons, but who knows how much of it is him being tense, knowing that he's going to be seeing one ten-bell chance after another?

One thing in Philly's favour: he's traditionally been much better in the 2nd half of the season.

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

No. You're both independently of this. 

And yeah, I'm okay with Talbot. I think a lot of him was the Oilers. 

Plus, I think Fletcher is trying to repeat Dubnyk. 

That part will be fine, I think. I still think we should have taken the opportunity to get more out of an organization that likes to give stuff away. 

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I'm just glad that it wasn't Chiarelli making the deal for Edmonton, because "The Art of the Deal" isn't exactly strong with him. That guy couldn't sell hookers on a troop train.

i wish Chia was still there...would have been nice getting McDavid and a 1st for Stolarz.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

You don't post numbers like 924% and a 2.48gaa  2 shutouts in a playoff series and NOT be an NHL starter.

Then go 42-22-0-8 919% 2.39gaa  with 7 shutouts on a not so sound defensive team and NOT be an NHL starter.

But all he has to do is play backup. Which i think he can handle...and if he can stay healthy that is a win by itself.

Man folks need to get a grip.

I was talking about Stolarz. 

Getting a head start on the market isn't a bad thing.

Yeah nothing wrong with a test drive before looking at scrap heap.

Only one on the list i like is Varlamov who will not want to come in and be a backup.

4 hours ago, brelic said:

I was talking about Stolarz. 

Ok i mistook what you were saying. This is a risk reward type of thing to go with it. They get a chance to see if Talbot fits before the offseason.

It seems they didn't think Stolie maybe was cut out for the long haul or would just prefer a guy with more experience and after this season who can blame them...one thing Talbot has proven is he is durable.

He could suck and then they could walk away...or he could play lights out and price himself out of Philly.

No matter they get a head start of the rat race. Maybe this time next year it could look like a genius move. I hope so.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok i mistook what you were saying. This is a risk reward type of thing to go with it. They get a chance to see if Talbot fits before the offseason.

It seems they didn't think Stolie maybe was cut out for the long haul or would just prefer a guy with more experience and after this season who can blame them...one thing Talbot has proven is he is durable.

He could suck and then they could walk away...or he could play lights out and price himself out of Philly.

No matter they get a head start of the rat race. Maybe this time next year it could look like a genius move. I hope so.

I feel better about it now than this morning. Like I mentioned it was not really about the who in the trade. It just triggered memories of Homer but even that’s unfair. I guess this guy makes me jumpy lol. 

The next few trades will give us a much better idea about Fletch. New and improved? Or same old same old?

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

No. You're both independently of this. 

And yeah, I'm okay with Talbot. I think a lot of him was the Oilers. 

Plus, I think Fletcher is trying to repeat Dubnyk. 

That part will be fine, I think. I still think we should have taken the opportunity to get more out of an organization that likes to give stuff away. 

I think you're right about the Dubnyk redo. Hadn't thought about that angle. Makes sense. Plus, all GMs secretly like a reclamation project.

Fletcher on a potential in-season extension for Talbot: "Right now we're in a playoff chase and we added a quality player to our team. Let's just let things play out."

No, Fletch, you're not in a playoff chase. You haven't truly been in a playoff chase for pretty much your entire tenure. I get that he's part salesman, and that he was hired to somehow "right the ship", but maybe if he had a more accurate read on the situation, he would have pulled something back from Edmonton in this trade.

Optimism is great and useful folks, but when you're heading up an NHL franchise, being smart is far more important than being hopeful. I want a guy who can properly assess their current situation and make moves to address it.

Talbot could be good if this, if that, if this, if that -- essentially if everything breaks his way and he makes a complete 180, he might potentially be an okay back up. Is that really what we're saying? What ever happened to "the simplest solution is likely the correct one?" That's way too many ifs to be likely.

Swap Stolarz for him and whatever. They're both the same in my book. It's a lateral move. But this was clearly doing Edmonton a favour, and Fletch did not use his leverage in this case. He needed to get something to improve this team, and he did not. As of this point, he has done nothing but prove he knows how to grasp at straws and feint hopes. 

You know who would have extracted more than just Talbot from that trade? Yep.

22 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm not making moves because a 20 year old likes his diapers air warmed by left-handed gypsies. 

BAHAHA!!!

I have no idea what that means or if there is a specific reference that I'm missing....but I laughed my ass off anyway!!

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

Fletcher on a potential in-season extension for Talbot: "Right now we're in a playoff chase and we added a quality player to our team. Let's just let things play out."

No, Fletch, you're not in a playoff chase. You haven't truly been in a playoff chase for pretty much your entire tenure. I get that he's part salesman, and that he was hired to somehow "right the ship", but maybe if he had a more accurate read on the situation, he would have pulled something back from Edmonton in this trade.

Optimism is great and useful folks, but when you're heading up an NHL franchise, being smart is far more important than being hopeful. I want a guy who can properly assess their current situation and make moves to address it.

To be fair, it’s more than just a sales job. They are 7 points out, and have just gotten 25 of the last 26 possible points. He’s publicly saying he has his team’s back, that he believes in them. 

But I’m going to choose to believe that he obviously understands statistics and averages and probabilities, so he’s got a lot of irons in the fire. 

I think that’s a fundamental difference between him and, say, Homer. I’m not sure he even really understands English. 

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

Talbot could be good if this, if that, if this, if that -- essentially if everything breaks his way and he makes a complete 180, he might potentially be an okay back up. Is that really what we're saying? What ever happened to "the simplest solution is likely the correct one?" That's way too many ifs to be likely.

Swap Stolarz for him and whatever. They're both the same in my book. It's a lateral move. But this was clearly doing Edmonton a favour, and Fletch did not use his leverage in this case. He needed to get something to improve this team, and he did not. As of this point, he has done nothing but prove he knows how to grasp at straws and feint hopes. 

You know who would have extracted more than just Talbot from that trade? Yep.

I agree that Hextall seemed to have a knack for pulling out maximum value in trades. I mean, there are a few duds, like the Hartnell trade. But yeah, he was pretty savvy in that department. 

But, he was also slow to act and overly patient, while Fletch’s “bias for action” is starting to show. Sure, they’re mostly small tweaks here and there, but he’s doing something, and that’s what Homer and Scott wanted. Weise, Lehtera, Weal = gone. Hak = gone. Myers and Hart = NHL. I think Myers being called up is telegraphing a move on defense. 

It’s the upcoming high value trade opportunities that have me worried with this guy - Simmer, Ghost, Gudas, Voracek. You should be able to get top assets if you move those guys. We’ll see. 

Archived